In space, no one can hear you scream — but your neighbors will sure hear the screams while you stream these extraordinary alien movies on Netflix. Or, if scary isn't your thing, there are a few cute and family-friendly extraterrestrial movies to pick from. Basically, aliens can be just as different as we are, so prepare for blastoff and let's make some new space friends (or not).
- Director: Barry Levinson
- Stars: Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Samuel L. Jackson
- Run Time: 134 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "When a team of scientists begins to investigate a spacecraft that's come to rest on the sea floor, they discover that it contains a mysterious sphere."
This all-star cast deliver strong performances throughout a twisty, underwater adventure. If you are in the mood for some scares, some mystery and a whole lot of drama, then this one is for you.
'Galaxy Quest' (1999)
- Director: Dean Parisot
- Stars: Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman
- Run Time: 102 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "Decades after the success of a sci-fi series, the show's washed-up stars are recruited by actual aliens to pull off an intergalactic rescue mission."
Galaxy Quest is campy, funny and touching — the perfect, loving parody of Star Trek. If you're up for a fun sci-fi adventure with yet another amazing cast, add this one to your list.
- Director: Robert Zemeckis
- Stars: Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Skerritt
- Run Time: 150 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "When Dr. Ellie Arroway hears a signal being broadcast from outer space, the race is on to interpret humanity's first contact with alien intelligence."
A tearjerker for sure, this one will pull at your heart strings but still satisfy your sci-fi desire. Jodie Foster, as usual, will not let you down.
'Fire In The Sky' (1993)
- Director: Robert Lieberman
- Stars: D.B. Sweeney, Robert Patrick, Craig Sheffer
- Run Time: 109 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "While driving through the countryside with his friends, Travis Walton is struck by a bolt of energy beaming from the sky."
This one is honestly one of the more terrifying movies on the list. Only watch this one if you have the support of friends and a blanket to shield your eyes.
'The Last Days On Mars' (2013)
- Director: Ruairi Robinson
- Stars: Liev Schreiber, Elias Koteas, Romola Gara
- Run Time: 98 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "While a crew of astronauts on Mars waits for a ship that will return them to Earth, one discovers a strain of bacteria that turns humans into killers."
A taut, slow-burning thriller. If you want to watch a tense alien movie but still want to be able to sleep at night, then this is for you.
'Dark Skies' (2013)
- Director: Scott Stewart
- Stars: Keri Russell, Jake Brennan, Josh Hamilton
- Run Time: 97 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "A couple has trouble convincing friends and neighbors that an alien is entering their house each night to terrorize their children."
Thrilling, well-acted and genuinely disturbing, Dark Skies may leave you a little sleepless. Don't watch this one with the kids, but also don't miss out on the creepy fun!
- Director: Gareth Edwards
- Stars: Scoot McNairy, Whitney Able, Mario Zuniga Benavides
- Run Time: 94 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "Six years after aliens invaded Earth, a photographer is documenting a war-torn region when he's interrupted by an unexpected rescue mission."
Indie film fans, I really think this one is for you. This low budget, high-tense alien thriller is more than meets the eye. You may need to watch this one twice!
'Star Trek: First Contact' (1996)
- Director: Jonathan Frakes
- Stars: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner
- Run Time: 111 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "Captain Jean-Luc Picard seeks revenge on the Borg after they time travel to Earth's past to prevent the first contact between humans and Vulcans."
I'll say that this is the only actually terrifying Star Trek movie, and it's amazing. It's not inappropriate, so any age can watch — however, the underlying themes are what really get under your skin. Oh, and the Borg queen too. Resistance really is futile!