You've read a headline informing you that this is the ultimate guide for Rick and Morty Season 3. Well, you know what? That headline didn't lie. In fact, it's so good I could make you pay 25 schmeckles to read it. But I won't because I'm in a generous mood.
So without boring you any longer, dive through the Movie Pilot portal into the zany, burp-fuelled, profanity-dropping, universe-hopping world of Rick and Morty below.
Rick and Morty Season 3 News & Rumors
Writing Is Complete On Season 3!
The wait seems to be never-ending, however, writer Dan Guterman took to Twitter to confirm writing for the much-anticipated third season is now complete, hurrah!
An Update On The Rick And Morty Season 3 Air Date
Fans have been waiting ever so patiently since Mr. Poopybutthole rounded off the events of Season 2 by traumatising a pizza delivery guy and telling us we'd have to wait a year and a half, or longer, for Season 3.
However, it looks like we will be seeing the next season before the end of the year. In an interview for the Chicks Who Script podcast, writers Erica Rosbe and Sarah Carbiener confirmed the show will air before the end of the year. Hurrah!
The Impressive Improvisation Of Rick And Morty
The authentic and stuttering dialogue of Rick and Morty is one of the idiosyncrasies that sets it apart from other shows of a similar ilk. In many ways, the show embraces perfection in imperfection.
Well, even more impressive is the fact that Justin Roiland, who voices the lead characters, often improvises his material. He confirmed in a recent interview that almost every episode has improvisation in it. And that's the waaaaaaay the script goes.
Are All Ricks In Deep Trouble?
Furthermore, the level of depth to fan theories based on the show isn't surprising; after all, the premise is essentially a blank canvas, with an infinite number of possibilities across the galaxy.
One such theory that has a lot of potential relates to the plot for Season 3. Once Rick escapes prison, could he be hunted by an A-list group of villains who we've already seen on the show?
Rick and Morty Season 3 Premiere Date
The uncertainty of the Rick and Morty Season 3 premier date is enough to cause a split in time. The premiere date has been teased numerous times, shifting back further and further... and further. The most we know at the moment is that it should be here by the end of 2016, as mentioned in the news section.
Show writer Mike McMahan also Tweeted his belief that it'll be worth the wait. Let's face it, he'll be right:
Rick and Morty Season 3 Trailer
No actual clips have yet been released, and that includes the Rick and Morty Season 3 trailer. However, if the withdraw symptoms are getting too extreme, check out the clip below: Justin Roiland has voiced the legendary court transcript of State of Georgia Vs. Denver Fenton Allen. Admittedly it's not the same as the full show, but it helps:
Rick and Morty Season 3 Plot
The climax of Season 2 saw the Galactic Federation finally catch up with Rick Sanchez, after they hide undercover. During her wedding to Birdperson, Tammy reveals herself as an undercover agent, and claims Rick, Birdperson and Squanchy are terrorists of the organization.
Although Rick ends Season 2 in chains, it's unlikely the Rick and Morty Season 3 plot will spend too much time focusing on his escape, with Dan Harmon explaining that things will return to normal "pretty quickly."
The structure of the plot will change, too. As well as additional episodes (Season 3 will have 14 in total) certain narratives will run through the season, a change from the earlier two seasons where each episode was standalone (with occasionally, loose-fitting callbacks).
Rick and Morty Season 3 Cast
The core of the voice actors who have added life to the animation will return, including co-creator himself, Justin Roiland. The Rick and Morty Season 3 cast consists of:
- Justin Roiland: As well as co-creating with Dan Harmon, Roiland voices both Rick AND Morty. Impressive.
- Sarah Chalke: The Canadian actress, who also played Dr. Elliot Reid on Scrubs, voices Rick's daughter, Beth Smith.
- Chris Parnell: The voice of Jerry Smith is provided by Parnell, who also voiced for Archer and was a cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1998 - 2006.
- Spencer Grammer: In addition to Rick and Morty, Grammer has appeared in college romcom Greek. She is also the daughter of Fraiser's Kelsey Grammar.
Rick and Morty Season 3 Characters
Roiland and Harmon aren't only comedy geniuses, they're also creative masterminds. As well as the Roiland voiced universe-exploring duo, there are riches of recurring and one-off characters who are all as equally as bizarre and intriguing as the rest.
Although nothing has been confirmed with regards to Rick and Morty Season 3 characters, the core group will remain. These include:
- Rick Sanchez: He's the uhhhh... the guy who... *buuuurrppps* his way through most sentences. He's an alcoholic genius who travels through dimensions for the thrill and uses his intelligence for questionable uses. Oh, and he drags his nephew Morty along for the thrill.
- Morty Smith: Despite the close relation, Morty is almost the complete opposite of his grandfather; unassured, anxious and constantly questioning his place in the universe, the 14-year-old of Earth C-137 dimension is makes an unlikely partner for Rick.
- Beth Smith: She's Rick's daughter, whose unconditional love for him sometimes causes her to turn a blind-eye to his antics. Her story arc generally follows her dissatisfaction with her husband, Jerry, and a general malaise at how her life turned out.
- Jerry Smith: Ah, Jerry. He's generally inept, unemployed and harbors resentment toward Rick. The feeling is also mutual. He's always seen as incompetent and often a the cause of problems. In a nutshell, he's an idiot, but at least he finally got a job by the end of Season 2.
- Summer Smith: A typical teen in many ways, Summer is often caught complaining about trivial things in the show, relating to high school and other such Earth-based matters. She does also occasionally join Rick and Morty in their misadventures, with mixed results.
- Mr. Poopy Butthole: A long time family friend, Mr. Poopy Butthole has been involved in Rick and Morty's travels right from the pilot all the way to the very end. Often there to be relied upon, he's the glue who manages to hold the dysfunctional family together.
- Mr. Meeseeks: I'M MR. MEESEEKS, LOOK AT MEEEE!!! Roiland has promised he'll try and get the not-so-transient wish-fulfillers to return again. Mr Meeseek, can you make Season 3 hurry up, please?
Rick and Morty Season 3 Review & Recap
As soon as Rick and Morty Season 3 is up and running, you'll be treated to some extra special reviews and recaps, all for your reading pleasure. Apparently there's an app for it. Or some sort of robot.
Until then though, how about a journey back in time, to some of the best pop-culture references (such as The Purge above) from Season 1 and Season 2?
Rick and Morty Season 3 Preview & Promos
Most of the Rick and Morty Season 3 preview and promotional material is still tightly under wraps, however, to raise the levels of expectation even more, check out this improvised mini-episode in preparation. As usual, Morty ends up on the wrong side of Rick's experimental streak.
Rick and Morty Season 3 Spoilers
Jeeeez, I hope we don't see too many Rick and Morty Season 3 spoilers, but you know, shit does happen. Anyway, once potential plots or story arcs do make it, all those spoilers will be stored here.
PS: THEY ALL DIE. EVERYONE DIES. Apart from Jerry. Jerry lives.
Rick and Morty Season 3 Spinoff
Although there are an abundance of characters that would make incredible protagonists of their own show, and lots of quirky universes to explore, Roiland and crew haven't announced any plans for a spinoff show as of yet. Give them a break, it's hard enough making one show, right?
Although that being said, this guy could have something going on in an alternate universe. Possibly. Ooooh weeeee.
Rick and Morty Season 3 Theories
Due to the vast nature of the animated world to explore, there are a huge amount of interesting Rick and Morty theories. Below is a mixture of retrospective looks back to previous episodes, and speculation on the upcoming Season 3. These include:
- Rick is actually Morty from another dimension.
- Morty is a parallel Morty from another universe.
- Rick and Morty share a universe with Gravity Falls.
- Rick is aware he's in a TV show.
- The show could be hiding a big secret.
There's also a theory that none of the above theories are correct.
Where To Watch Rick and Morty Online
So, you've read through everything anticipated for Season 3, and you're raring for some more. Well, whether you want to watch the full episodes again, or you haven't fully caught up to speed, you can watch Rick and Morty online on Hulu in the US, or Interdimension Cable (depending on what universe you're in, obviously).
Rick and Morty Merchandise
I could tell you about Rick and Morty merchandise, namely, the plumbus. But everyone has a plumbus. And since the episode aired telling everyone how they make the plumbus (instigating the fleeb controversy) there's really no point.
What's your favorite thing about Rick and Morty?