Despite minimal build-up in terms of marketing and promo, Season 1 of Stranger Things took Netflix by storm this summer, becoming something of a cultural phenomenon within a matter of days. Paying homage to a wealth of '80s classics, the TV series managed to fulfill all our nostalgia-craving needs without playing into the tried (or tired) and tested Hollywood formula of revive, rehash, reboot. And that's why it worked so well.
Though filming for Stranger Things Season 2 has yet to begin, that hasn't hindered these guys from making news headlines on the daily, and rumors regarding potential plot lines flyin' in quicker than you can say Eggo Waffles. To honor that then, this article will be constantly updated with the latest goings on and should become your one-stop Upside Down shop for all things strange. Enjoy!
Stranger Things Season 2 News & Rumors
Update: 10/25/2016: Millie Bobbie Brown Teases Stranger Things Season 2
Is Brown purely mucking about in this cute Instagram pic or does it carry a deeper meaning for Season 2? Given the hashtags I'm banking on the latter — but just what does Hopper know that we don't?!
Matthew Lewis a.k.a Neville Longbottom Has A Stranger Things Tattoo!
The Harry Potter artist formerly known as Neville Longbottom is such a fan of Netflix's hit series that he's had a tribute permanently inked on his arm. Matthew Lewis took to Instagram alongside everyones favorite telekinetic teen to document the event:
Noah Schnapp Addresses Will's Sexual Orientation & Wins The Internet
Noah Schnapp, who'll you'll know better as Upside Down survivor, Will, proved himself to be a thoughtful and intelligent soul this weekend, taking to Instagram to discuss rumors surrounding the sexual orientation of his ST character.
Within his pragmatic post Schanpp commented that his character should not be boxed in by stereotypes, rather interpreted by each fan for themselves:
"For me, Will being gay or not is besides the point. Stranger Things is a show about a bunch of kids who are outsiders and find each other because they have been bullied in some way or are different. Does being sensitive, or a loner, or a teenager who likes photography, or a girl with red hair and big glasses, make you gay? I'm only 12 but I do know we all relate to being different."
Read the full post below:
Meet The New Residents of Hawkins, Indiana: Max and Billy
Say hello to Hawkin's latest residents who're set to join the cast of madcap kids in Stranger Things Season 2. You'll recognize Sadie Sink a.k.a Max from The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and The Americans, and Dacre Montgomery will join her as Billy — a face you'll be more than familiar with by the end of 2017, for he's starring as the Red Ranger in Lionsgate's Power Rangers reboot, too!
In other news:
- Little Dustin From 'Stranger Things' Explained His Condition On TV And Gave Us Feels
- SXSL: Leonardo DiCaprio And The 'Stranger Things' Kids Take The White House
- Did David Harbour Just Confirm Eleven's Fate In 'Stranger Things' Season 2?
Stranger Things Season 2 Premiere Date
While no specific Stranger Things Season 2 premiere date has been announced yet, we do know that the series will hit Netflix at some point in 2017 — we'll keep our eyes peeled and let you know the minute release deets are revealed!
Stranger Things Season 2 Trailer
The Stranger Things Season 2 trailer is here and reveals the titles for all nine upcoming episodes — yep, that's one more hour of Stranger Things goodness than the previous season! Keep scrolling for our speculation regarding exactly what these titles could mean!
Stranger Things Season 2 Cast
Talking to The Hollywood Reporter, producer Shawn Levy announced that there will be a bunch of new faces joining the Stranger Things Season 2 cast. Here's what he said:
"There's definitely a handful of really compelling new characters this season, but absolutely servicing the core group first and foremost. But yes, we have some new characters entering the adventure [...] really, really intriguing ones."
While the list for the second season is yet to be announced, here are a few faces we can expect to see:
- Joyce Byers — Winona Ryder
- Jim Hopper — David Harbour
- Mike Wheeler — Finn Wolfhard
- Eleven — Millie Bobby Brown
- Dustin Henderson — Gaten Matarazzo
- Lucas Sinclair — Caleb McLaughlin
- Nancy Wheeler — Natalia Dyer
- Jonathan Byers — Charlie Heaton
- Steve Harrington — Joe Keery
- Will Byers — Noah Schnapp
In the article below we've rounded up a bunch of deets about the returning cast along with some fun facts about each one, because why not:
For some fun facts about the cast, check out:
- 9 Things You Need To Know About Netflix Hit 'Stranger Things'
- The Cast Of 'Stranger Things' Reacts To The Season 2 Announcement On Instagram
Stranger Things Season 2 Characters
A brief guide to the Stranger Things Season 2 characters you need to know right now.
- Joyce Byers — The deeply distressed mother of Will, Joyce spent most of the first season communicating with her missing son via fairy lights. Everybody treated her like she was having a psychotic break, until she turned out to be right.
- Jim Hopper — Police Chief of Hawkins, Indiana, who tragically lost his daughter to cancer at a young age. He firmly believes that mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
- Mike Wheeler — Will's best friend, Nancy's brother, and holds the closest relationship to Eleven.
- Eleven — Badass and psychic, 011 is a test subject in the MK Ultra program, raised by Dr. Martin Brenner (presumed dead) a.k.a Pappa.
- Dustin Henderson — Smart and diplomatic, Dustin uses these skills to keep his best friends grounded during the hunt for Will.
- Lucas Sinclair — Best friends with Mike, Dustin and Will, Lucas is an independent soul with excellent tracking skills.
- Nancy Wheeler — After her best friend Barb vanishes, Nancy develops from simple, stubborn teen to truth seeker, with her strong morals coming to the fore.
- Jonathan Byers — Will's brother, Jonathan is a soft, artistic soul, which makes him an outsider to his peers. He loves The Clash, photography and probably Nancy.
- Will Byers — Joyce's son Will was snatched by The Monster and, as a master hider, used his ingenuity to escape it's evil clutches in the Upside Down. It's currently unknown how his time spent there will affect him in the long run.
For a more detailed breakdown of each character including brief bio, occupation, status etc, head here:
This guide to Dungeons & Dragons is also a fantastic insight into how the game helps to explain the kids' characteristics.
Stranger Things Season 2 Review & Recap
Once Stranger Things Season 2 hits Netflix, this section will become your go-to round-up of all the episode reviews and recaps. Considering that both the audience and critic scores smash in with a 95% level freshness on Rotten Tomatoes, I'm sure this space will soon shine with positive reactions.
Stranger Things Season 2 Preview & Promos
Other than the the Season 2 trailer, no further previews or promos for Stranger Things have been released. That said, as mentioned earlier, the trailer did announce the titles for all nine episodes — keep scrolling to the 'Stranger Things Season 2 Theories' section for our musings regarding what they could mean.
Stranger Things Season 2 Spoilers
Fear not, this section will soon be filled with plot points for Season 2 & we will only post any direct Stranger Things spoilers here, rather links for you to peruse at your peril. Here's what we know so far:
- Barb is not going to pull a Jon Snow — she is "very, very dead."
If you're still holding on to some sort of deranged hope that there'll be "justice for Barb" in the shape of her resurrection in Stranger Things Season 2, then you're going to have to get over it. Sorry guys, no way to sugar coat this: Barb is actually dead, for reals and no, she's not coming back, not even as some demented plaid-coated poltergeist. So move on.
Matt Duffer told the crowd at Samsung 837:
“I mean, yes ― yes, she’s dead. I thought we were pretty clear about that. There’s a slug hanging out of her mouth ― out of her dead corpse. And then if you were still confused, [Chief Jim] Hopper finds her in the nest, also very dead.”
- Stranger Things Season 2 Will Contain Some "Next-Level Crazy Stuff."
The Stranger Things team has been rather stealthy — ninja-like, if you will — in regard to slipping plot spoilers past us in the run up to Season 2, which begins filming next month. However, producer and director Shawn Levy dropped a little nugget of information during a recent appearance on Southern California Public Radio that teases us with news of some "next-level crazy stuff."
In regard to living up to the insanely high expectations of the upcoming installment, he said:
"Yes, the pressure is on. It would be so blatantly disingenuous of me to say differently. It’s scary to have people love something this much. It becomes impossible to banish all thoughts of not wanting to disappoint. This has been the challenge of it: on the one hand as we’ve see in the movie world, to do a follow-up that feels like the same thing is disappointing to an audience; to abandon things or change things [from the original], that disappoints the audience. A lot of Season 2 is next-level, some crazy stuff, but we must service these characters who are now beloved, who are known to the audience."
Stranger Things Season 2 Spinoff
With only one season under its belt, it's unlikely that Stranger Things will spawn a spin off just yet, but I feel like Mara Wilson spoke for us all when she tweeted:
That said, while a direct spin-off may be some time in the making, it's not completely unlikely that the Duffer brothers could begin developing a separate project similarly based on Stephen King's work, seeing as they failed to bag the IT reboot.
Stranger Things Season 2 Theories
Like any TV show with a huge fanbase, Stranger Things's has spawned a wealth of theories that aim to investigate, explain and predict the more outlandish themes from the first season. From how Will's time in the Upside Down could influence his character, to whatever's going on with Eleven, here's a comprehensive round-up of the best theories so far:
Where To Watch Stranger Things Season 2' Online
Currently, there is nowhere to watch Stranger Things Season 2 but will be available online via Netflix at some point in 2017, until then you'll have to cope with watching the first season on repeat via Netflix, listening to awesome soundtrack mixes, like this one:
Or checking out sweet video mash-ups like this one that rehashes Stranger Things scenes and repurposes them in the style of Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Stranger Things Episodes: The Complete Guide
When the teaser trailer for Stranger Things Season 2 arrived, in true Duffer form, a number of enticing mysteries to resolve — 9, to be exact — arrived along with it. These nine enigmas are the episode titles and, while we know very little regarding narrative, we've taken some time to speculate the potential meanings hiding behind each one.
- Madmax — Could this be a homage to the classic '80s Mad Max franchise, or rather a direct reference to a new character — perhaps another child who shares Eleven's abilities.
- The Boy Who Came Back To Life — In the final episode of Season 1, this title was seen heading a newspaper article regarding Will's return. It's likely then, that this chapter will directly relate to his character.
- The Pumpkin Patch — As the second season will run during the autumn of 1984, it's pretty much guaranteed that this episode will occur during halloween and reference a number of horror movies from that decade.
- The Palace — This title could refer to a safe haven for Eleven, a palace-like building in an alternate reality or, maybe more likely, the Palace of the Silver Princess in Dungeons & Dragons.
- The Storm — Season 1 contained many references to the work of Stephen King and, seeing as he wrote a story called Storm of the Century, we'd place some safe bets that this episode is a homage to that tale.
- The Pollywog — A term commonly used to describe tadpoles, a creature symbolic of great change, The Pollywog episode may concentrate on those altered in the Upside Down.
- The Secret Cabin — Likely a hiding place, but for who? Could this be where Dr. Martin Brenner (if he's still alive) has been hiding, or where the kids seek solace while avoiding whatever horror this season has in store for them?
- The Brain — One would assume that this chapter will be linked to the psychic abilities of Eleven and those like her — if there are any others left.
- The Lost Brother — Could another character be snatched by the demonic Demogorgon, like Nancy's brother Mike, for example? Or maybe Max of episode one fame could be Eleven's long lost brother?
Read a full in-depth breakdown of what these Stranger Things season 2 episode titles could reveal.
Stranger Things Quotes To Give You Life
Want some Stranger Things quotes so you can whip that knowledge out on the daily? Of course you do, gawd — "sometimes, your total obliviousness just blows my mind!" ;)
The Coolest Stranger Things Merchandise
Given the popularity of Stranger Things, there's an absolute buttload of seriously cool merchandise you can get your mitts on. From slayin' T-shirts to graphic prints and painted umbrellas, here's a round-up of the things we'd fill our shopping trolleys with:
This article will be constantly updated with all things related to Stranger Things Season 2, so keep coming back for the latest goss! See you on the other side.