It's finally confirmed! We now know that Laura Kinney, the female clone of Wolverine better known as X-23, will make her presence felt in Logan. #XMen fans had expected no less - X-Men: Apocalypse set up the plot in an end-credits sequence (confirming that #Wolverine's last adventure happens in the rebooted timeline). But we don't need to discuss this as a mere 'possibility' any longer - Fox has confirmed it!
What Do We Know About X-23 in Logan?
Meet Dafne Keen, who's been confirmed as playing the part of Laura Kinney — or X-23 — in the X-Men universe. X-Men: Apocalypse's end-credits sequence showed us representatives of "Essex Corp" (a nod to the classic X-Men villain Mr. Sinister) retrieving Wolverine's genetic samples. Fans immediately realized this was setting up X-23, Logan's female clone (the genetic sample was damaged, so scientists couldn't retrieve both chromosomes for the clone).
We've known for well over a year that Logan is set in the future; after all, Hugh Jackman happily teased Comic Con crowds with the words "Old. Man. Logan." That said, with X-23 in the film, it's official that the only similarity between Logan and the classic "Old Man Logan" comic is the fact these events are set in a future timeline.
Whatever the case may be, in June The Hashtag Show reported that they had got hold of the casting details for a Logan character, who certainly sounded familiar. The character details included:
- 12-to-15 year-old girl
- A pound puppy, raised in captivity in a time of battle, without support systems of a normal childhood.
- She has no family and until now, has never left the compound in which she was born.
- She has an authentic intensity - Her expressions & body language speak volumes, without words.
- Once released in the outside world, everything is new, every experience and every image a first.
- This does not mean everything is wonderful or wonderous. Some thing she sees (things we might regard as conventional) may scare her or anger her and things we may find interesting may bore her.
- She has not been instructed in many social conventions - she can eat like an animal. She studies and often mimics people's behavior.
- She has a high IQ, but is also a temperamental, impuslive and feral creature that can raise genuine mayhem.
- She is a girl that has never been kissed. Looking for a real girl - not made up or done up. Also with genuine edge, not made up or put on.
- Martial arts or gymnastics experience preferred but not necessary - but actress must be extremely physical and able to improvise scenes without necessarily resorting to speech. Do not play it "cute."
Fans immediately deduced that this was X-23, and it's now been confirmed.
What Does This Tell Us About Logan and Fox's Broader X-Men Universe?
Just these details shed a surprising amount of light on Fox's long-term plans. First of all, because X-Men: Apocalypse's end-credits scene leads in to this, we know that Logan is based in the rebooted X-Men timeline. That means we're yet to have any information on what happened between X-Men: Apocalypse — where Hugh Jackman's character escaped from Alkali Lake — and Logan. It may be that Fox will deliberately choose to keep quiet about these past events, as doing so will ensure they keep the option of casting another actor to replace the iconic Hugh Jackman down the road.
More surprising, though, is that X-23 now part of the future timeline. She exists in a time after mutants have been wiped out — although time travel is always a possibility, it seems increasingly unlikely that we'll see X-23 team up with the X-Men. I admit that I find that disappointing; over in the comics, X-23 has taken over from Wolverine, and I was rather hoping that the same would happen in the movies.
Finally, Dafne Keen is significantly younger than X-23's typical comic book portrayal. Either Fox is going with a younger version of the character, or the film will span a number of years. Either way, we can be certain that we're in for a very different portrayal to the one we're used to in the comics — and that the father / daughter relationship between X-23 and Wolverine will almost certainly develop a bit more quickly in the film.
- Everything You Need To Know About Mr. Sinister - The Villain Of 'Logan'!
- Why 'Logan' May Cause Yet More Continuity Problems For Fox's X-Men Universe Timeline
- 'Logan' Trailer: Who Is The Clawed Mutant Trying To Kill Wolverine? And It's Not X-23!
All in all, the information so far is intriguing. I admit to having a mixed reaction - I personally think that, with the right casting, X-23 could have easily become a franchise lead. Still, I have to say it's exciting to consider that we'll soon be seeing a version of this fan-favorite on the big screen!
Are you excited to see X-23? Or do you think this character is someone else? Let me know in the comments!