Deadpool opened in February of this year to record breaking numbers for an R-rated superhero film based on an unknown character. The movie ended up making $778.6 million on a modest $58 million budget. After these figures, the sequel was guaranteed, with Deadpool himself even announcing it to the audience in the movie's post-credits scene.
Deadpool 2 was officially announced earlier this year, confirming Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller's involvement, as well as Cable's introduction. But aside from that, there wasn't much more information to go by. Now, X-Men producer Simon Kinberg has changed that situation.
During an interview with Collider, Kinberg gave an update on the Merc with a Mouth's sequel's script and when they're hoping filming to begin. When asked about specifics, Kinberg said this:
"Well, we hope to shoot the movie sometime at the beginning of next year."
Here's what he said regarding the script:
"The guys, [Paul] Wernick and [Rhett] Reese, are working on the script, and we hope to have a script very soon."
Well, there you have it folks, it seems that Fox is trying to release Deadpool 2 as soon as possible. Going by this, the Merc with a Mouth's sequel could easily take Fox's mysterious January 12, 2018 Marvel release date. This is a very smart move in my opinion; considering that Deadpool was a massive hit both critically and financially, so keeping it in the general public's minds is a great choice.
But what do you think?