When it comes to love, it's easy for your heart to grant your head an indefinite leave of absence while you blissfully skip the to altar with love hearts dancing in your eyes, but sadly these blissful feelings aren't always long-term.
All of the couples below have been through the heartbreak of divorce in 2016 after marrying someone who turned out to be less than their perfect mate, but some have done it more harmoniously than others. Check out the celebrity divorces from 2016 below.
1. Tobey Maguire And Jennifer Meyers
- How Long Were They Together? Maguire met his jewelery designer wife in 2003 on the set of Seabiscuit. They started a relationship shortly afterwards and were engaged in 2006 and married the following year. Tobey and Jennifer have two children — a daughter named Ruby and a son named Otis.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair released a statement about their split on October 18 2016, it reads:
“After much soul searching and consideration we have made the decision to separate as a couple. As devoted parents, our first priority remains raising our children together with enduring love, respect and friendship.”
2. Liev Schreiber And Naomi Watts
- How Long Were They Together? Schreiber and Watts were together for 11 years before they announced their split.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair told the world the sad news about their breakup on September 26 2016 with a public statment they released together.
Liev and Naomi, who have two children together, asked the world to respect their privacy during this deeply emotional time with the following statement:
Over the past few months we’ve come to the conclusion that the best way forward for us as a family is to separate as a couple. It is with great love, respect, and friendship in our hearts that we look forward to raising our children together and exploring this new phase of our relationship. While we appreciate your curiosity and support, we ask the press to be mindful of our children and respect their right to privacy.
3. Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
- How Long Were They Together? Brangelina (RIP) were together for over a decade after infamously getting together after working on Mr. & Mrs. Smith back in 2004. They married in 2014, partly for the sake of their six children, but the wedded bliss didn't last.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? TMZ got ahold of papers stating that Angelina was filing for divorce on September 20 2016.
The world took a collective gasp when the seemingly golden couple announced their split, truly cementing 2016 as the year when love died. It has been confirmed that Angelina chose to divorce Brad over disagreements centred around the star's parenting methods. Negotiations over the custody of the couple's six children continue.
4. Johnny Depp & Amber Heard
- How Long Were They Together? The pair got together in 2012 after meeting on the set of The Rum Diaries back in 2009. They were married on February 3, 2015.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Heard filed for divorce on May 23, 2016.
Heard and Depp filed for divorce after just over a year of marriage in the midst of domestic abuse allegations. Depp's legal team accused Heard of accusing the 53-year-old actor for financial gain in the press and the 30-year-old star responded by withdrawing her claim for spousal support. Heard eventually donated her settlement from the divorce to charity.
5. Kaley Cuoco & Ryan Sweeting
- How Long Were They Together? The pair were married for 21 months before their whirlwind romance fell apart. Maybe this proves rushing into things isn't always a good thing because they were only engaged for three months before they were married.
When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split on September 26, 2015, but the divorce was only finalized this year.
Poor Kaley Cuoco just doesn't seem to be lucky in love. She split with her tennis player beau after his prescription drug addiction took control of his life, but thankfully she signed a prenup before she was married.
6. Nicolette Sheridan & Aaron Phypers
- How Long Were They Together? Sheridan married Phypers in secret in on December 12, 2015. It's not known exactly how long they were together.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split (and marriage!) on July 16, 2016.
Not much is known about this private relationship, but the Desperate Housewives star has been married for under a year once before and has had multiple failed engagements. Hopefully the next dude will be the one!
7. Drew Barrymore & Will Kopelman
- How Long Were They Together? Drew and Will go together in early 2011 and were married on June 2, 2012. The couple decided to call in quits in 2016 after five years together.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair released a joint statement detailing their intentions to divorce on April 2, 2016.
Drew and Will have two beautiful children together, but ultimately realized they weren't meant to be this year. Their split appears to be amicable and they are both involved with their children's lives. This is Barrymore's second divorce, although her first marriage only lasted 19 days.
8. Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin
- How Long Were They Together? Paltrow and Martin got together in 2012 and were married a year later. They were together for 11 years before they "consciously uncoupled."
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Gwyneth Paltrow announced her divorce on her lifestyle website in March 2014, but the divorce was only finalized this year.
Paltrow made waves when she announced she was "consciously uncoupling" as opposed to getting a plain old divorce, but it seems to have worked for the former couple! The pair are both involved in the lives of their two children, Apple and Moses, and even vacation together.
9. Lisa Marie Presley & Andrew Lockwood
- How Long Were They Together? Lisa Marie Presley and Andrew Lockwood (otherwise know as "WTF is that hat?!" guy) were married for 10 years.
When Did They Announce Their Split? Lisa Marie announced the divorce on June 28, 2016.
Presley has been married twice before (once to Nicholas Cage) and has two twin girls with her former husband, tour musician Lockwood.
10. Dennis Quaid & Kimberly Buffington
- How Long Were They Together? The pair were married for 12 years, but it always appears to have been a turbulent union.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split in June of this year.
Quaid and Buffington were singing from a familiar hymn sheet when they announced their divorce this year. The couple have previously filed for divorce and changed their minds three times.
11. Khloé Kardashian & Lamar Odom
- How Long Were They Together? Khloé and Lamar were married in 2009, a month after they first met. Khloé first filed for divorce in 2013 but revoked the decision after Lamar's near-death experience.
When Did They Announce Their Split? Khloé filed for divorce for the second time on May 26, 2016.
Lamar and Khloé briefly reconciled after he survived an unintentional overdose at a Nevada brothel, but they couldn't recapture their love after Odom refused to stop drinking and partying.
Listen to Khloé talk about her decision to withdraw her divorce for the first time in the interview below:
12. Mandy Moore & Ryan Adams
- How Long Were They Together? The pair were married in March 2009 and split after six years of marriage.
When Did They Announce Their Split? Moore filed for divorce in 2015, citing irreconcilable differences. Their divorce was finalized on June 23, 2016.
Although their divorce might have taken a long time, Moore and Adams described the split as a "respectful, amicable parting of ways."
13. James McAvoy & Anne-Marie Duff
- How Long Were They Together? These former lovebirds met on the set of Shameless (the actually good British version) and married in 2006. They were together for almost 10 years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The couple announced they were going their separate ways on May 13, 2016.
Although McAvoy and Duff have split, they remain amicable and intend to continue raising their 5-year-old son, Brendan, together.
14. Frances Bean Cobain & Isaiah Silva
- How Long Were They Together? The pair married in 2014 and split after two years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? Cobain filed for divorce on March 23, 2016.
Frances's split does not appear to be going down without a fight and her ex is reportedly in a bitter legal battle with her over one of her late father's guitars.
15. Adriana Lima & Marko Jaric
- How Long Were They Together? Lima and Serbian basketball player Jaric were together for around six years after getting married in 2008 after 9 months together.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The pair announced their split in 2014, but the divorce was only finalized this year.
Lima and her former husband have two daughters together and are committed to co-parenting the girls.
16. Rose McGowan & Davey Detail
- How Long Were They Together? McGowan and artist Detail were engaged in July 2013 after dating for a year. They were together for around four years.
- When Did They Announce Their Split? The divorce was announced in February 2016.
McGowan had been engaged twice before she met Davey, but this was the first time it actually ended in marriage.
If you need cheering up after all those dashed dreams, check out all the celebs who are expecting in 2016 HERE.
Do you think 2016 has been a bad year for love?