Lorraine and Ed Warren, the heroes of The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2 as played by Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson, are based on the real life Warrens, whose work in paranormal and demon investigation inspired the Conjuring movies.
The Warrens are paranormal investigators, but they're not the only ones. Many have gone through rigorous training and experience to master the darker side of the world, and you too can learn about the mysteries that demonologists study.
Would you like to become a demonologist like Ed and Lorraine Warren in 'The Conjuring'?
The Conjuring 2 Nun: The True Story Of The Demon
The Conjuring 2 Crooked Man: Who Is He And Will We See More Of Him?
The Conjuring 2 Demon Name: Can You Vanquish A Demon With Its True Name?
There are various courses available online for the budding demonologist to take. Here's how you can learn about demonology if you want to be like The Conjuring's Ed and Lorraine Warren.
Bishop James Long’s Demonology Course
''Bishop Long has performed 27 Exorcisms on individuals who were possessed and he will share his experience and what he has learned throughout his seminary training with you as well.''
- Cost: $49.99
Content: Reading materials, written assignments, final project
- Requirements: Belief in God, have some experience in the field of demonology, have a mentor
- Recommended Reading: Through the Eyes of an Exorcist — James Long, Dark Siege — Jason McLeod
Institute of Metaphysics
''This course will provide the student with an in-depth examination of the subject, and will include historical, theological, scientific, and philosophical elements... Be warned, few enter this shadowy realm and emerge unaffected.''
The Institute also offers courses on a variety of paranormal topics, including courses on Aquatic Cryptids, Mysteries of Mars and Anomalous Hominids.
- Cost: The demonology course begins at $140.99 individually, but discounts are offered for multiple purchases.
- Content: Three modules and a final exam.
- Requirements: Nothing apart from some cash is required.
- Recommended Reading: Books are provided as part of the course fee.
American Association of Exorcists
''This program trains and certifies the Christian in exorcism-deliverance so that he/she may embark on a career in exorcism-deliverance.''
- Cost: AAE membership is also required, which is $5.00 a year.
- Content: The full AAE program consists of 19 courses, which are examined with an open-book, multiple choice test.
- Requirements: A strong religious faith, ascertained by a questionnaire from the AAE.
- Recommended Reading: All the Doctrines of the Bible — Herbert Lockyer, Biblical Demonology: A Study of Spiritual Forces at Work Today — Merrill F. Unger. Various recordings are also available via the AAE site. The AAE also recommend watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
The School of Parapsychology
''This is a course about Demonology, the study of demons or evil spirits; also a branch of magic that deals with such beings.''
- Cost: Prices and course requirements are available upon creating a free online account with the SOP.
- Content: ''5 Key Demonology Topics'', this is an online course studying history, famous cases and skepticism. A recorded lecture from course leader Dr O'Keeffe will be transmitted every week.
- Recommended Reading: Documentaries and papers will be available to download during the course.
John King Hill Ministries
''This course will give you riveting experience as we cover the different kingdoms that are in relentless warfare, which affects the daily lives of people. We will examine the five critical areas of deliverance, which are the keys to freedom from demonic powers.''
- Cost: $450
Content: Many topics are covered, including modules on 'God, Angels, and Demons', 'The enemy’s base and operation' and 'Beginning a deliverance ministration'.
- Requirements: A love of learning and commitment to Christianity.
- Recommended Reading: Spies Among the Church — John King Hill
Here's a freaky clip of a demonic voice in The Conjuring 2 for all you keen paranormal investigators-in-training.
If you're interested in the Warrens' work but don't want to start an entire demonology course, Ed and Lorraine Warren offer a couple of lessons on the topic via their website. There are also a number of free resources online, such as the free online course curriculum at Chesterfield Paranormal Research.
Note: There is no such thing as a 'certified' demonologist. While you can study the topic it is not recognized by any official body, so don't get ripped off!
Do you have an interest in demonology and paranormal investigation?
Source: Demonology Class, Chesterfield Paranormal Research, American Association of Exorcists, Humanity Healing, Institute of Metaphysics, Warrens, WhoSay, John King Hill Ministries, School of Parapsychology