Whether or not you've been a loyal fan of hers since The Office, or have just become a fan more recently, it's hard not to love Mindy Kaling. She's written a best-selling memoir, eaten Girl Scout cookies at the Oscars, and been one of Time's 100 Most Influential People. Oh, and she's one of the funniest women in the industry.
If you haven't seen it yet, check out the trailer for Season 4 right here:
Now that Hulu has officially renewed the offbeat rom-com/sitcom The Mindy Project for a fifth season, there will be a lot more Mindy coming our way. But before Season 5 reaches our computer/tablet/TV screens, here are 15 things you might not have known about The Mindy Project.
1. You already know that Mindy Lahiri's real name is Mindy Kaling, but did you know that Mindy Kaling is just a stage name? Her real name is Vera Mindy Chokalingam.
2. Ever since she was little, though, her parents always called her Mindy, after the TV show Mork & Mindy.
3. Mindy's job is an homage to Kaling's late mother, Swati, who was an OB-GYN.
4. Kaling gave the commencement speech at Harvard in 2014. Check out the whole thing below:
5. Despite a comment she made during that speech, there's no chance of Mindy getting a puppy on the show anytime soon. Kaling told Glamour:
"As much as we like having puppies on set, I think Mindy would probably kill the puppy like someone does with a plant. I worry about that puppy!"
7. Kaling named Mindy Lahiri after the Indian-American writer, Jhumpa Lahiri.
8. The title of the show was originally going to be It's Messy.
6. The Media Action Network for Asian-Americans wrote a letter to Fox about the fact that Mindy's love interests in the first two seasons were all white men:
We are concerned that in the course of two seasons, her character, Dr. Lahiri, has had a ‘white-only’ dating policy involving about a dozen men.
9. Originally, the character of Dr. Jeremy Reed was supposed to be American. Ed Weeks was going to audition with an American accent, until a friend convinced him to do it in his natural voice.
10. An intern from The Mindy Project ended her time with the series by gifting Kaling a miniature version of Mindy Lahiri's office set!
11. There's an entire blog devoted to chronicling Mindy's outfits, and letting you know where you can buy her looks IRL.
12. The show might take place in NYC, but they've never shot a single episode there! It's almost all done on a sound stage in LA.
13. Real photos of Kaling and her family hang on the walls on the set.
14. Mindy doesn't mind using her real name on the show, but Malcolm in the Middle creator Linwood Boomer once told her never to use her real name when ordering food, in case someone hates her show and spits in it. She orders food under the name "Peggy," after the Mad Men character!
15. Two days before her mother passed away, she gave Mindy some solid advice that has inspired her ever since:
"She was like, 'Don't get married if a man is going to tell you not to do things. Just do whatever you want to do.'"
The Mindy Project will return to Hulu on October 4, 2016.
What's your favorite thing about The Mindy Project?