After seven seasons of AMC's The Walking Dead, viewers have most recently been introduced to the wide array of communities that have cropped up in the years since the apocalypse hit and the world fell into chaos. The show is currently working on Season 8, a season in which the stakes will be higher than ever for our favorite characters as they march to war against the villainous Negan and his Saviors.
We still have a number of months to wait until the show returns to screens, but until then take a look below at Movie Pilot's guide to everything you need to know about The Walking Dead Season 8 prior to its release:
The Walking Dead Season 8 Premiere Date
The Walking Dead Season 8 is set to premiere on October 22, 2017.
The Walking Dead Season 8 Plot
Here's AMC's official synopsis for Season 8:
Last year, Rick Grimes and his group of survivors were confronted with their deadliest challenge yet. With the comfort of Alexandria, they let their guard down, only to be reminded how brutal the world they live in can be. The introduction of Negan and the Saviors broke our group.
Feeling powerless under Negan’s rules and demands, Rick advocated the group play along. But seeing that Negan couldn’t be reasoned with, Rick began rallying together other communities affected by the Saviors. And with the support of the Hilltop and Kingdom, they finally have enough fire power to contest the Saviors.
This year, Rick brings “All Out War” to Negan and his forces. The Saviors are larger, better-equipped, and ruthless — but Rick and the unified communities are fighting for the promise of a brighter future. The battle lines are drawn as they launch into a kinetic, action-packed offensive.
Up until now, survival has been the focus of Rick and our group, but it’s not enough. They have to fight to take back their freedom so that they can live. So that they can rebuild. As with any battle, there will be losses. Casualties. But with Rick leading the Alexandrian forces, Maggie leading the Hilltop, and King Ezekiel leading the Kingdom — Negan and the Saviors’ grip on this world may finally be coming to an end.
The Walking Dead Season 8 Cast & Characters
- Andrew Lincoln — Rick Grimes: Group leader since Season 1, Rick Grimes is not a man to be messed with.
- Chandler Riggs — Carl Grimes: Carl was just a kid when the apocalypse hit. Now he's a fully-fledged, one-eyed badass.
- Norman Reedus — Daryl Dixon: The redneck with a heart of gold, Daryl Dixon is a long time fan favorite, and that doesn't look set to change any time soon.
- Melissa McBride — Carol Peletier: The most unlikely character to have survived this far in the apocalypse, Carol's transformation in the series is impressive.
- Lauren Cohan — Maggie Rhee: A tough farm girl, Maggie has only gone from strength to strength, and is now on the verge of leading the Hilltop community.
- Danai Gurira — Michonne: First arriving as a mystery woman at the end of Season 2, Michonne is now in a relationship with Rick Grimes, with the pair basically crowned as the king and queen of the apocalypse.
- Katelyn Nacon — Enid: After losing her parents, Enid has now made a new family among the group.
- Lennie James — Morgan Jones: After many years of solitude, Morgan is now part of the community, though still struggles with the brutal demands of the new world.
- Alanna Masterson — Tara Chambler: A hard worker and quick to make a joke, Tara is an asset to any group.
- Christian Serratos — Rosita Espinosa: After joining the series in Season 4, the tough-as-nails Rosita has become a core member of Rick's crew.
- Josh McDermitt — Eugene Porter: The super smart man with the mullet may be totally self-interested, but damned if he doesn't have some great one-liners.
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan — Negan: The biggest villain to ever appear in the series, Negan is constantly shaking The Walking Dead to their core.
- Tom Payne — Paul "Jesus" Rovia: A strong and capable member of the Hilltop community.
- Austin Amelio — Dwight: One of Negan's Saviors, who has since secretly teamed up with Rick.
- Ross Marquand — Aaron: One of the strongest members of Alexandria before Rick's group joined, he's now a key asset.
The Walking Dead Season 8 Theories
The Walking Dead fans are known for their love of theories, which is a good thing considering how many unsolved mysteries there are in The Walking Dead universe to keep theorists busy. Take a look at all the major currently theories for The Walking Dead below: