Stranger Things brought a lot with it when it crawled out of the Upside Down and crash-landed on #Netflix last summer: nostalgic feels, sci-fi splendor, gruesome monsters, super powers and fan theory fodder galore. But perhaps the best thing the series introduced us to were the faces, the reintroduction of forgotten stars like Winona Ryder and Matthew Modine, and a whole host of new — and now firm — fan favorites. And that shows no signs of changing.
Similarly to its predecessor, the #StrangerThings Season 2 cast & characters promise to bring both old and new faces to the screen once more. Alongside the kids we've all come to love are stars famed for iconic movies such as The Goonies and Aliens, and some teens fresh to the scene.
So, to help you keep track, we've compiled a complete who's who for all the faces you need to know in the Stranger Things Season 2 cast & character list. Enjoy!
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Cast & Characters: The Adults
- Joyce Byers: The deeply distressed mother of Will, Joyce Byers spent most of Stranger Things's first season communicating with her missing son via household lamps and a fairy light ouija board. Everybody treated her like she was having a psychotic break, until she turned out to be right.
- Played by: Winona Ryder (Mermaids, Little Women, Girl, Interrupted, Beetlejuice, Black Swan, Edward Scissorhands)
- Chief Jim Hopper: Leading Will's investigation, Hopper manages to dig up a ton of dirt on the laboratory and, by proxy, Dr. Brenner — including discovering that Will's "death" had been faked, and happening upon a portal to the Upside Down. His character develops greatly over the season, morphing from a miserable prick into a badass who, the last episode revealed, may know more about Dr. Brenner's experiments than he's letting on.
- Played by: David Harbour (Quantum of Solace, Revolutionary Road, Pan Am, The Equalizer, End of Watch, Suicide Squad)
- Dr. Martin Brenner: Brenner didn't really say much in the first season of Stranger Things, but that didn't stop his presence being felt throughout. This (seemingly) evil fellow raised Eleven in Hawkin's National Laboratory and trained her to hone in on her telekinetic powers — hence why she calls him "Papa." He leads the hunt on finding Eleven and returning her to the lab.
- Played by: Matthew Modine (Full Metal Jacket, Transporter, Memphis Belle, Weeds, The Dark Knight Rises)
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Cast & Characters: The Kids
- Eleven: A test subject born to the MK Ultra program and raised by Dr. Martin Brenner whom she refers to as "Papa," Eleven is a young girl with incredible psychokinetic gifts. Via numerous examinations that aimed to test the strength of her abilities, it was revealed that not only was she able to kill people ruthlessly with her mind (albeit with fairly savage energy-draining side effects), but that it was her who created the portal to the Upside Down in the first place.
- Played by: Millie Bobby Brown (Intruders, Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland)
- Will: Snatched by the Demogorgon in the first episode of Stranger Things, we didn't get a chance to properly meet Will Byers, but that's ok as we'll be seeing a lot more of him in Season 2. However, we do know that Joyce's son is a master hider — he used his ingenuity to escape the monster's evil clutches in the Upside Down for over a week.
- Played by: Noah Schnapp (Bridge of Spies, Snoopy and Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie)
- Dustin: Often the glue holding the group together, you'll notice that his D&D traits sum up his characteristics to a T. He has yet to grow a set of adult teeth because of his Cleidocranial Dysplasia, a bone growth disorder suffered by the actor who plays him.
- Played by: Gaten Matarazzo (The Blacklist and Broadway productions Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and Les Misérables)
- Mike: Will's best friend, Mike was the first from the gang of kids to become close to Eleven, probably also because he's the first to believe her.
- Played by: Finn Wolfhard (The 100, Supernatural, It)
- Lucas: Best friends with Mike, Dustin and Will, Lucas is an independent soul with excellent tracking skills — while hunting for his missing friend, he splits from the group and wanders into the wilderness alone.
- Played by: Caleb McLaughlin (Law & Order, Shades of Blue, Noah Dreams of Origami Fortunes)
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Cast & Characters: The Teens
- Nancy: Over the course of Stranger Things Season 1 we watch Nancy as she morphs from a stereotypical high school student, concerned only by simple teen issues, into a feisty, independent young woman — a transition prompted by her best friend, Barb, vanishing into thin air.
- Played by: Natalia Dyer (Hannah Montana: The Movie, The Greening of Whitney Brown, I Believe in Unicorns)
- Jonathan: Will's brother, Jonathan is a soft, artistic soul, which makes him an outsider to his peers. He loves The Clash, photography and probably Nancy. Despite being a small town boy, has aspirations of going to NYU.
- Played by: Charlie Heaton (Urban & the Shed Crew, Shut In, As You Are)
- Steve: Another character to have a personality transplant over Stranger Things's eight episodes. First coming across as an arrogant jock, the more selfless side of his character comes across when helping Nancy and Jonathan fight the Demogorgon.
- Played by: Joe Keery (Chicago Fire, Empire, Henry Gamble's Birthday Party)
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Cast & Characters: The New Guys
- Max: Described as being somewhat of a tomboy, Max is a 13-year-old girl with a shed load of sass. You'll usually find her with her skateboard, and hanging out with Mike, Will and the rest of the gang. She has a pretty crappy relationship with her step-brother Billy and is generally distrustful of most people because of her past. She's new to Hawkins, Indiana.
- Played by: Sadie Sink (The Americans, Odyssey, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)
- Billy: Built and brassy, this cocksure 17-year-old is the elder brother of Max. He's new to town too, and brings many a rumor with him; namely that he's violent, "edgy," steals people's girlfriends and may or may not have killed someone at a previous school. Billy drinks a lot and drives a black Camaro, because of course he does.
- Played by: Dacre Montgomery (Safe Neighborhood, Power Rangers)
- Roman: In Stranger Things Season 2, Roman will somehow be connected to both Hawkin's laboratory and the life of Joyce Byers. She lives outside of Hawkins, Indiana and is described as an outsider, the daughter of a drug addict, formerly-homeless and severely emotionally damaged. Fun!
- Played by: Linnea Berthelsen (Teenland, Natskygge, The Desert)
- Dr. Owens: Dr. Owens is a high ranking employee within the Department of Energy, recruited and shifted to Hawkins, Indiana in order to control and contain whatever spilt out of the portal in Season 1. His character is played by Paul Reiser and modeled on a character the actor has played before — the untrustworthy douche, Burke in Aliens: a playful wink from the Duffers who're trying to confuse viewers as to Dr. Owen's true intentions.
- Played by: Paul Reiser (Aliens, Whiplash, Mad About You, Read Oaks)
- Bob Newby: Former classmate of Joyce Byers. Their relationship rekindles in a romantic way in Season 2.
- Played by: Sean Austin (Lord of the Rings, The Goonies, Jeremiah, The Strain, Bunnicula)
- Murray Bauman: Murray is a disgraced journalist-turned-consipiracy theorist who begins poking his nose into the goings on in Hawkins, Indiana.
- Played by: Brett Gelman (Adult Swim shows, 30 Minutes or Less, The Other Guys, Jobs, Eagleheart, Fleabag, Bad Teacher)