1) The explanation behind Katniss' name is really cool.
Katniss is a plant in the genus Sagittaria, which means 'Archer' in Latin. It's commonly known as the 'arrowhead,' and Katniss is a boss archer.
2) The Hunger Games was shot in North Carolina, though the books are unspecific about locations.
The Capitol is thought to be in Denver, as it's bordered by the Rockies, and District 12 is suspected to be West Virginia, because Appalachia and coal.
3) accidentally thought up The Hunger Games whilst channel-hopping.
Collins flicked from footage of the Iraq war to a game show. Sometimes the best ideas happen totally randomly.
4) Most assume that 'Panem' is named for 'Pan-America', but this is wrong.
Panem takes its name from the Roman phrase Panem et Circenses, the practice of bribing the public with food and entertainment ('Bread and Circuses') to ensure their political support.
5) Rue's melody is the same 4 notes of the theme from Romeo and Juliet (1968).
On the official Hunger Games soundtrack, the song is recorded with vocals by Jennifer Lawrence.
6) All three major Hunger Games stars changed hair color for the movies.
Jennifer Lawrence and Liam Hemsworth went from brown to blonde, whilst natural brunette Josh Hutcherson did the opposite.
7) Katniss and Peeta broke Shipping fandom.
Brangelina. Bennifer. Kimye. These all work. What do you get for District 12's most famous couple? Katpee. Or, if you prefer, Peeniss.
8) Suzanne Collins used to write for Clarissa Explains it All.
Because she's full-blown awesome, obviously.
9) Jennifer Lawrence auditioned for the role of Bella in the Twilight Saga.
And we could have gotten , , , or as Katniss. They all auditioned for the role.
10) The deadly nightlock berries were actually blueberries.
No children were actually poisoned, shot or in any way harmed during the filming of The Hunger Games, you guys. Except when JLaw accidentally kicked Peeta in the head.