In space, no one can hear you scream — but your neighbors will sure hear the screams while you stream these extraordinary alien movies on Netflix. Or, if scary isn't your thing, there are a few cute and family-friendly extraterrestrial movies to pick from. Basically, aliens can be just as different as we are, so prepare for blastoff and let's make some new space friends (or not).
9. Dreamcatcher (2003)
- Director: Lawrence Kasdan
- Stars: Morgan Freeman, Thomas Jane, Jason Lee
- Run Time: 133 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "While on a hunting trip in the Maine woods, four boyhood pals who share a telepathic bond discover that the region is plagued by parasitic aliens.
This should be on any Stephen King fan's watch list. In typical Stephen King style, this movie is as scary as it is complex. On the surface you get an alien horror movie, but be sure to look below the surface to really get the most out of this movie.
8. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
- Director: Dean Parisot
- Stars: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe
- Run Time: 92 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "An envoy from another world warns Earth's people to cease their violent behavior. But panic erupts when a nervous soldier shoots the messenger."
If you saw the sub-par remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, but not the original, then you are in luck! Almost 70 years later, this movie has not lost any relevance. Perhaps we should all give this a watch and take some notes...
7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Director: Steven Spielberg
- Stars: Dee Wallace, Henry Thomas, Peter Coyote, Drew Berrymore
- Run Time: 114
- Netflix Synopsis: "A lonely suburban boy befriends a gentle alien and tries to help it return home while protecting it from government fores that are in pursuit."
Even after 35 years, E.T. is as magical as ever. Perfect for any age, and a touching story about how powerful a child's feelings truly are. You can use this as a feel-good follow up after you watch one of the scarier movies on this list. Just a suggestion!
6. Fire In The Sky (1993)
- Director: Robert Lieberman
- Stars: D.B. Sweeney, Robert Patrick, Craig Sheffer
- Run Time: 109 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "While driving through the countryside with his friends, Travis Walton is struck by a bolt of energy beaming from the sky."
This one is honestly one of the more terrifying movies on the list. Only watch this one if you have the support of friends and a blanket to shield your eyes.
5. Terminus (2015)
- Director: Scott Stewart
- Stars: Jai Koutrae, Kendra Appleton, Bren Foster
- Run Time: 93 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "A man beset by bad luck has an encounter with an alien intelligence that puts him on a path toward self-preservation."
This suspenseful addition to this list has its ups and its down, but is worth a watch. If you are in the mood for something atmospheric with an original story, than this one is for you.
4. Monsters (2010)
- Director: Gareth Edwards
- Stars: Scoot McNairy, Whitney Able, Mario Zuniga Benavides
- Run Time: 94 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "Six years after aliens invaded Earth, a photographer is documenting a war-torn region when he's interrupted by an unexpected rescue mission."
Indie film fans, I really think this one is for you. This low budget, high-tense alien thriller is more than meets the eye. You may need to watch this one twice!
3. Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
- Director: Stuart Baird
- Stars: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner
- Run Time: 116 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "With the Romulans at last willing to negotiate peace with the Federation, the Enterprise is dispatched on a diplomatic mission -- but it's all a ruse."
Star Trek: Nemsis is still one of the best movies in the series, even after the J.J. Abrams installments. A must watch for any Star Trek fan, or anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of the Star Trek universe beyond the remakes.
2. Extraterrestrial (2014)
- Director: Colin Minihan
- Stars: Brittany Allen, Freddie Stroma, Jesse Moss
- Run Time: 100 min
- Netflix Synopsis: "When their boozy party in the woods is crashed -- literally -- by a downed UFO, five teens fight back against the stranded, bloodthirsty aliens."
Extraterrestrial is your classic "teen party in the woods gone wrong" scenario...but with aliens. Sounds fun, right? It is, as long as your not expecting anything too serious.