Deadpool. The R-rated, foul-mouthed, vulgar antihero who won't leave the house without his red pants exploded onto the scene like a mutated bull in a china shop. The quick-witted Merc with a Mouth was a surprise hit of 2016, helped by the leading man, Ryan Reynolds.
In an unsurprising announcement, Fox had already planned a sequel by the time #Deadpool reached theaters; they were so set on a followup, the post-credit scene referenced the next installment. There's no doubt Wade Wilson's allure comes down to his uniqueness. He's a superhero unlike any other, a fourth-wall breaking, arm-hacking, #XMen slating maverick.
Understandably, us fans can't get enough. And the good news is, we don't have to! #RyanReynolds will return for Deadpool 2 in 2018, and to tide us over for the next few years, to keep us sane and to avoid us re-watching Taken, here is a page dedicated to Deadpool 2 news, rumors & all things Wade Wilson. Enjoy.
'Deadpool 2' News & Rumors
Last updated: 03/24/2017
Wait, Michael Shannon Is Frontrunner To Play Cable In 'Deadpool 2'?
Despite the leaked concept art featuring Hollywood A-lister Brad Pitt (see below), Michael Shannon is still rumored to be the number one choice for half-Cyborg Cable. Now I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to the final confirmation and the end of this rollercoaster ride.
'Deadpool 2' Concept Art Leaked Online, With Brad Pitt As Cable
The folks behind Deadpool know a thing or two about leaking material at the right time; after all, it's how the film was made. Following the trend, a high-profile leak of concept art shows the new characters, with a very, very interesting twist — Brad Pitt as Cable!
- Leaked 'Deadpool 2' Concept Art Gives Our First Look At What Brad Pitt Would Look Like As Cable And Zazie Beetz' Domino
Zazie Beetz Is Cast As Domino In Deadpool 2!
Despite rumors that Kerry Washington was the frontrunner, Ryan Reynolds has taken to Twitter to confirm that actress Zazie Beetz will be playing the role of mutant newcomer, Domino, in Deadpool 2. This is exciting news, especially for fans of Donald Glover's breakout show, Atlanta, in which Beetz is a standout star.
- 'Deadpool 2' Has Finally Found Its Domino: Zazie Beets Of 'Atlanta' Fame Officially Cast As The Chance-Altering Mutant
Drew Goddard Is Brought In As Screenwriter For 'Deadpool 2'
This news, at first, seems worrying. Following the departure of director Tim Miller in October, the writing duo who helped make Deadpool great — Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick — are being joined by Drew Goddard, who will act as consultant on the script for the sequel. However, there's no need to panic.
Deadpool Writers Discuss The Possibility Of Wolverine Team-Up
Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick provided the heartbeat of Deadpool, carefully working with Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller to provide a script that was joke-heavy and comic-faithful. Naturally, comic book fans are crying out for Deadpool to team up with Wolverine, but is it a possibility? The pair explain whether it'll happen.
'Deadpool 2' Trailer
You're probably thinking, "whose balls do I have to fondle to get a trailer," right? Well, no fondling will be necessary. You just need to be patient. As with the original, #Deadpool2 will more than likely market itself on Reynolds's charismatic portrayal. Expect more savvy social-media promotion, viral videos and vulgar billboards.
When the official Deadpool 2 trailer is finally released, though, you'll be the first to know. I promise. Until then, make do with the honest trailer for the first movie.
'Deadpool 2' Release Date
There hasn't been an official announcement on the Deadpool 2 release date. However, with Fox's upcoming slate, we can piece together the nuggets of information that have leaked out over recent months.
The latest reveal that the sequel will start filming in June 2017 suggests that Deadpool 2 may be released slightly later than expected, taking the summer release slot of June 29, 2018. Failing that, it could still squeeze in production for a March 2, 2018 release. Here's hoping.
'Deadpool 2' Plot
It's too soon to know how the Deadpool 2 plot will precisely unfold, but there are a number of factors that will come into play. In terms of tone, expect a gritty, grounded feel, similar to the original. There were rumors director Tim Miller left due a deviation from this tone, instead preferring a stylized sequel, although he denied the claim.
As well as the same street-level, R-rated brutality of the first, it's likely Deadpool 2 will introduce the X-Force, the antihero ensemble formed by Wade Wilson's buddy, Cable, who we know will feature from the Deadpool post-credits scene. Expect even more extreme, graphic violence if that's the case.
'Deadpool 2' Cast
Those who made Deadpool special will, fortunately, be returning for the sequel. However, the big talking point for the Deadpool 2 cast revolves around the casting of two key characters; Cable and Domino, which as of yet, hasn't been confirmed. The rest of the cast are below, although please note, other than Reynolds, the rest haven't been officially announced:
- Ryan Reynolds (Wade Wilson / Deadpool)
- Morena Baccarin (Vanessa)
- T.J. Miller (Weasel)
- Leslie Uggams (Blind Al)
- Brianna Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead)
- Stefan Kapičić (the voice of Colossus)
- Zazie Beetz (Domino)
'Deadpool 2' Characters
Not all of the below Deadpool 2 characters have been officially announced, but it'd be a surprise for the key characters on the list not to be included:
- Deadpool: Let's be honest, the film will be centering around the Merc with a Mouth, thanks to Ryan Reynolds's effortlessly fitting portrayal of the antihero. Wade Wilson became Deadpool following the Weapon X treatment in the first movie, leaving him with superhuman healing powers. Expect more wise-cracks, inappropriate hilarity and maybe some unicorns.
- Cable: This is the big one. With casting still unannounced, it's not known who will take on the important job of joining Wade in his filthy crime-fighting ways. In the comics, Deadpool and Cable are a formidable yet volatile team.
- Vanessa: Wade's fiancée was taken hostage by villain Ajax in the first movie, before Deadpool came to her aid, reuniting the couple after Wade absconded. Now the pair are back together, expect the sequel to explore how Vanessa aids Wade's vigilantism.
- Weasel: A comedy highlight of Deadpool, Weasel is Wade's best buddy and bartender at a bar for mercenaries. T.J. Miller and Reynolds improvised much of the pair's dialogue, so expect the same in Deadpool 2.
- Domino: Another mercenary and love interest of Cable, Domino also joins the X-Force team in Marvel comics. An expert marksman, Neena Thurman also has the useful ability of influencing the balance of probability in her favour.
- Colossus: The metallic voice of reason and X-Men member will return to, presumably, try and talk some sense into Wade Wilson. Whether he'll be successful this time around remains to be seen.
- Negasonic Teenage Warhead: The Sinead O'Connor and Ripley from Alien 3 clone (may not be factually correct) will also return, providing a healthy dose of teenage angst to counteract Deadpool's incessant joke-making.
'Deadpool 2' Spinoff
Now Fox seems to be focused on the antihero side of the X-Verse, this is anyone's guess. It has been speculated that eventually, an X-Force movie will be released, which could open to door to any number of characters having their own solo feature.
'Deadpool 2' Theories
The strongest Deadpool 2 theory to date is that it will introduce the X-Force to Fox's superhero slate. That seems to be a given, considering the introduction of Cable and Domino.
Away from the antihero ensemble, there have been theories on Vanessa's role in the sequel. In the comics, Vanessa also has an alter ego, a blue-skinned mutant known as Copy Cat. Could Deadpool 2 see her introduction?
Other theories speculate on the introduction of X-Men star, Quicksilver, or — in what would be a dream team up but is highly unlikely due to ownership issues — even an appearance from Spider-Man. We'll settle for Cable for now.
Where To Watch 'Deadpool 2' Online
Well, Deadpool 2 isn't out yet, so there's more chance of you winning the lottery than viewing the film online. However, we'll do the hard work for you, and keep our eyes peeled for any whiff of online availability, as and when it comes.