Just like Apple, Santa and our mothers, HBO has an uncanny ability to know what we want before we do. When we laughed at the idea of watching a family of emotionally crippled gravediggers, we were given the immeasurable gift of Six Feet Under. When we shuddered at the idea of a series depicting the outbreak of a Civil War over a hideous iron throne, we were given Game of Thrones.
Now what if I were to tell you that your new favorite Series follows a trio of cliquey school moms involved in a gruesome murder mystery at a trivia night who enjoy jogging together along the sea shore? Say hello the HBO's newest Series Big Little Lies.
If nothing else, HBO has managed to inspire a level of blind trust in its programming prowess, and we, the aspiring TV junkies of 2017, have finally been given our next fix.
So, hold on to your remotes, tinfoil hats and half-baked dreams of joining the local gym because with its heady concoction of sex, murder, mystery, Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern and Zoe Kravitz, Big Little Lies is the best Show on TV right now — and here's everything you need to know about it.
'Big Little Lies' News, Rumors & Recaps
- Zoe Kravitz On Big Little Lies: "It's Not Sweet; It's Not Polite. It's Real"
Speaking to Vanity Fair, Zoe Kravitz who plays Bonnie Carlson in the Show has stated that the reason Big Little Lies is so well made is that it's not just another one dimensional mini-Series in which women are horribly underwritten:
“I think there’s a lack of representation in what it means to be a woman and a mother nowadays, so it's not candy-coated. It’s not sweet; it's not polite. It’s real. I think there was a hole, and we kind of filled that space.”
- Big Little Lies Episode 4: 'Push Comes To Shove' Digs Deep Into The Monterey Moms Psyches
Big Little Lies Episode 4 took a darker turn. Celeste delighted us by suiting up and going into full lawyer mode to aid Madeline on her quest to put on a production of Avenue Q in Monterey. However, we were also given a sinister glimpse into the twisted reasoning behind why Perry is so physically abusive toward her, and we discovered a little more about Ziggy's father.
- Big Little Lies Episode 3: 'Living The Dream,' Madeline Declares War On Renata Via Disney's Frozen
Proving that the children of Monterey really are just extensions and pawns of their parents, Madeline decides to teach Renata a lesson for excluding Ziggy from her daughter Annabella's party by organizing a trip to Frozen on Ice on the same day — stealing half of Annabella's party guests. Naturally, Renata is not happy and war is most definitely declared, with Jane and Ziggy in the crossfire.
Celeste and Perry go to couples therapy and Madeline's older daughter, Abigail, makes the crushing decision to go and live with her dad and stepmom Bonnie, a.k.a., Madeline's yoga-loving nemesis.
- Big Little Lies Episode 2: 'Serious Mothering,' Jane & Ziggy Continue To Make The Worst First Impression On The Moms Of Monterey
Following on from Renata's daughter accusing Jane's son Ziggy of strangling her on the first day of school in front of all the Monterey moms, things go from bad to worse when Ziggy tries to kiss Annabella to make up for his wrongdoing. This leads to Renata concocting a cunning plan of revenge by hosting a party for Annabella and inviting everyone in their class — apart from Ziggy.
We also begin to see a much darker side to Celeste and Perry's relationship, Madeline's ex, Nathan, shows up in her yoga class with his new partner Bonnie, who it turns out has helped Abigail, Madeline's older daughter, to get on birth control without Madeline's knowledge. Rage ensues.
- Big Little Lies Episode 1: 'Somebody's Dead,' Let The Murder Mystery Commence!
Starting the Show under the guise that someone has been murdered by an unknown perpetrator at an Audrey Hepburn and Elvis Presley themed school fundraiser party, we are thrown back in time to the beginning of the Monterey school year to mull over who we think the murderer and the victim could be.
Getting introduced to Madeline (Witherspoon), Celeste (Kidman) and new mom on the block, Jane (Woodley) as well as Madeline's nemesis Renata (Dern), we learn that Monterey is a seething pot of tensions and well guarded grudges.
- Here's Everything We Know About The Murder And The Women In HBO's 'Big Little Lies'
- 'Big Little Lies' Episode 1: Every Single Salty One-Liner & Clap Back
Nicole Kidman Made Big Little Lies Creator, Liane Moriarty, Cry
Wracking up an intimidatingly impressive six million book sales over the past 12 years, acclaimed author Liane Moriarty, the creator of Big Little Lies, was left lost for words when she saw Nicole Kidman dressed as her character 'Celeste' for the first time. Speaking to TheFix, Liane said that:
"I got a bit teary when I saw her. She looked like something from a fairy tale. She looked gorgeous."
'Big Little Lies:' Where & What Time Is It Aired?
Taking over the prime Sunday 9pm viewing slot, Big Little Lies is living up to expectations and becoming yet another dazzling gem in HBO's already glittering crown. Although like it's Game of Thrones and Westworld predecessors, it is not the most fitting remedy for a peaceful night of sleep ahead of a new working week. You have been warned.
'Big Little Lies' Plot Rumors
Based on Liane Moriarty's best selling novel of the same name, Big Little Lies is a mystery crime thriller initially set in Australia but moved to America for the TV show. Having received positive feedback from her previous book — 'The Husband's Secret' — after she added a darker twist to her familiar relationship and family centered focus, Liane decided to do a similar thing for Big Little Lies, but this time unravelling a murder mystery which takes place among a group of parents at a school fundraising party.
What We Know:
- Jane (Shailene Woodley) arrives in a new town with her young son and a secret she's been harboring for five years (possibly in relation to the paternity of her child).
- On her sons first day of school, Jane meets the bolshy Madeline (Reese Witherspoon) who has a penchant for holding on to grudges and Celeste (Nicole Kidman) who is stunningly beautiful, but with an unnerving nervous energy surrounding her.
- It transpires that during a school benefit party where all the women are dressed as Audrey Hepburn and all the the men are dressed as Elvis, that someone has been killed and we do not who it is, or who has perpetrated the crime, but we do know that Jane, Madeline and Celeste are all somehow involved.
- In the book after each chapter we are given a snippet of the interrogation which was conducted by the detective after the murder took place. We can therefore expect a similar gradual reveal of the victim and the suspect over the course of the thrilling series.
'Big Little Lies' Cast And Characters
1. Nicole Kidman As Celeste Wright
Celeste is beautiful but is harboring a dark secret, and is deeply miserable. She is the mother of twin sons, Max and Josh, but her relationship with her rich husband Perry is not the idyllic partnership that it may appear to be to the outside world.
2. Reese Witherspoon As Madeline Martha Mackenzie
Bolshy, outspoken and not averse to holding a grudge, Madeline has two young daughters but is bitterly resentful that her eldest daughter Abigail is forming a strong relationship to her ex-husbands new wife, Bonnie.
3. Shailene Woodley As Jane Chapman
Jane arrives in town with her young son Ziggy who is enrolled at the local primary school that Madeline and Celeste's children also attend. Having had a drunken, and violent, one night stand with Ziggy's father, Shailene is attempting to track him down, and he may actually be closer than anyone realizes.
4. Laura Dern As Renata Klein
Leader of the 'Blonde Bobs,' a very specific, shallow clique of the school moms, Renata is always at the centre of the playground politics and ends up confronting Jane over an argument between their children, and essentially declares war on Madeline.
5. Alexander Skarsgard As Perry Wright
The charming husband of Celeste, and father to their two sons, Perry is a high flying business man with mountains of money, but beneath the surface he's also shallow and violent which leads to his marriage with Celeste becoming increasingly strained.
6. Adam Scott As Ed Mackenzie
The wonderfully kind Ed only wants to be the best that he can be for his wife Madeline and their children. He's helplessly in love with Madeline and would do anything for her including threatening her ex-husband.
7. Zoe Kravitz As Bonnie Carlson
Married to Madeline's ex-husband, Bonnie is a yoga instructor who takes spirituality very seriously and balances being both sensitive and strong, which takes a lot when faced with Madeline's jealous wrath.
Where To Watch 'Big Little Lies' Online
As Big Little Lies is a HBO created program, you will need a subscription to the cable entertainment channel to be able to either watch the show through your TV or to stream it across the net. However with shows such as Westworld, Game of Thrones, The Night Of and The Wire on its impressive roster, getting a subscription might not be such a bad idea.