With less than a week left of the year, 2016 has lost yet another great human. George Michael passed away at his home on Christmas Day after suffering heart failure in his sleep. He was 53 years old.
The singer rose to superstardom in the eighties as one half of pop duo Wham! and later, his solo career. He sold more than 100 million records worldwide, and was a huge supporter of social causes and charities.
Wham! released the iconic Christmas single Last Christmas in 1984, and donated 100% of the proceeds to help alleviate famine in Ethiopia:
The philanthropist certainly left an amazing impression on the world, and many are grieving his sudden loss. Fans and friends have taken to social media to express their condolences and respect, including celebrities who were both influenced by and involved with his music. Here are some of the moving tributes to the pop superstar:
15. Wham! Bandmate Andrew Ridgeley Mourns His Musical Partner
14. Elton John In "Deep Shock"
13. 'Freedom' Girl Cindy Crawford
12. Long-Time Fan Kevin Smith
11. Close Friend Ellen DeGeneres
10. Fellow Londoner Kate Moss
9. Carrie Underwood Expresses Her Regret
8. Thandie Newton Celebrates An "Icon"
7. 'Killer' Music Video Star Pauley Perrette
6. George Michael Fangirl Jenna Jameson
5. 80s Musician Bryan Adams
4. Shannon Doherty Shares Fond Memories
3. David Walliams' Apt Lyrical Tribute
2. "Honored" Fan And Friend Mariah Carey
1. Josh Gad Says What We're All Thinking
Rest In Peace George Michael