Q: What happens when the world produces a magical film filled with laughs, drama and emotional depth, but is nearly all filmed in German?
A: Hollywood swoops in and produces an English-speaking remake of course!
Because, as we all know, subtitles are the agent of the devil, Maren Ade's Oscar nominated German comedy Toni Erdmann, which has been celebrated by critics the world over, has been snapped up by Paramount Pictures and now Jack Nicholson and Kristen Wiig are attached to play the lead roles. So just what is it about the role of Toni Erdmann that's convinced Jack Nicholson to come out of his 6-year retirement?
- Oscar Nominations 2017: Here Are Your Possible Winners As The Race Heats Up
- 10 Retired Actors We Would Love To See Make A Comeback
- Of Course Jack Nicholson Had a Secret Tunnel Connecting His House to the Playboy Mansion!
Why Jack Nicholson Is Perfect For The Role Of Toni Erdmann
Once news was released through Variety that Jack Nicholson was attached to play the role of Toni Erdmann, those who had seen the original German movie could understand why the Shining star was such a perfect match for the role. Here's why:
- Toni Erdmann is by nature a lovable prankster whose sense of humour shines through above all else. Essentially — his personality mirrors that of Jack Nicholson.
- The visual similarities are quite frankly, uncanny (see above).
- While Toni Erdmann is a joker, he also has a heart of gold and is desperate to connect with his corporate daughter, similarly, for all his roguishness, Jack has a good heart beneath the layers of prankster behavior.
Why Kristen Wiig Is Perfect For The Role Of Toni Erdmann's Daughter
Similarly, with Jack Nicholson's name attached, Kristen Wiig stepping in to play Toni Erdmann's estranged, corporate daughter Ines Conradi seems like another inspired piece of casting:
- Both Ines and Kristen have a subtle darkness and vulnerability to their characters which is essential to the role.
- However, beneath the cold, corporate exterior lies a hidden sense of humor which makes a rather dramatic appearance in the movie — something which Kristen will absolutely excel at.
- Like Sandra Hüller who plays Ines, Wiig is a recognizable name, but she's not a super A-list star, which allows her to play more fringe, exciting roles such as Toni Erdmann's daughter.
Will you go to see the American remake of Toni Erdmann?
(Poll Image: NFP Marketing & Distribution)