*Article Updated 02/22/2017*
The Christmas-time drought has come and gone, and with that, the return of our favorite superhero #TV shows are upon us. And one of those shows is the ultra-cool #Arrowverse spin-off DC's Legends Of Tomorrow. First airing last season, the show explored areas of the shared universe that we had never seen before by traveling through different time periods.
After successfully defeating the immortal tyrant Vandal Savage in the Season 1 finale, the heroes were left with a choice of going back to their own lives or rejoining their leader Rip Hunter for a brand new mission. Some left and some stayed, but they couldn't even get back to the Waverider before they were alerted of a new threat by Rex Tyler — a member of the Justice Society of America.
With Season 2 of Legends Of Tomorrow finally here, prepare to get caught up on anything and everything you need to know about the brand new season!
Legends Of Tomorrow Season 2 News, Rumors & Updates
Legends Of Tomorrow will take another week-long break from the CW and will return on Tuesday March 7th. Check out the trailer below:
As we can see from the trailer, it looks like bringing Rip Hunter back to the Waverider was a terrible idea, something which the episode's synopsis seems to compound.
A DIVIDED MIND — After capturing Rip (Arthur Darvill), he forces the Waverider to crash, leaving the Legends stuck seventy million years in the past. Ray (Brandon Routh) leads Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) and Nate (Nick Zano) to recover a vital piece of the ship. In an effort to get the “good” Rip back, Rory (Dominic Purcell) suggests they enter Rip’s mind, but what Sara (Caity Lotz) and Jax (Franz Drameh) discover in his subconscious is not pleasant and they must fight evil versions of themselves. Meanwhile, Nate and Amaya continue to get closer, but it could cause serious ramifications.
The season finale of Legends Of Tomorrow will be titled "Aruba" and will feature iconic #LordOfTheRings writer J.R.R. Tolkien, and the return of Laurel Lance. EP Marc Guggenheim tweeted out the cast list, revealing the characters' presences, as well as revealing that Wentworth Miller will be returning as Captain Cold. What roles will Mr. Tolkien, the Black Canary and Leonard Snart all play in the jam-packed season finale, with everyone's fates on the line?
While this season's big bads have been hunting the Spear of Destiny, it has made way for multiple arcs, all revolving around the Spear. While Rip Hunter was guarding a piece of it, the Legion kidnapped an amnesia-ridden Hunter and managed to help him regain his memories, but not before modifying them — ensuring that he feels nothing for his former teammates. The evil Rip managed to regain his piece, almost permanently killing Sara in the process. But with the JSA showing up again this week, it's possible that they could help Rip rediscover who he really is.
Moreover, the Legion aren't the only ones capable of using the Spear of Destiny. Many of the Legends have something they wish to change — Jax wanted to fight for those who were treated as slaves, Amaya lost Rex Tyler, Mick Rory lost Captain Cold and Sara lost her sister — #Arrow's Black Canary Laurel Lance. Could one of these Legends use the Spear Of Destiny to rewrite fate and alter these events forever?
Eobard Thawne officially joined forces with Damien Darhk and Malcolm Merlyn, and together, they are intent on tracking down the Spear Of Destiny to rewrite their own fates and will stop at nothing to obtain it. Despite initially being used as pawns by Reverse-Flash, Darhk and Merlyn renegotiated the terms of their agreement after saving the him from the terrifying Black Flash. And thus, the three of them have been affectionately named the Legion Of Doom by the Legends.
- Black Flash Debuts On Legends Of Tomorrow Against The Legion Of Doom — Does This Spell Trouble For The Flash?
Check back here for more updates!
When Do New Episodes Of Season 2 Air?
Legends Of Tomorrow Season 2 premiered on the CW on Thursday October 13th, 2016. It was the the final of all the superhero shows to return, coming after The Flash, Arrow and Supergirl.
Legends Of Tomorrow airs weekly on Tuesday nights on The CW, right after The Flash. It has currently taken another brief hiatus and will return on Tuesday 7 March, 2017.
Get caught up on the new seasons of Arrow and The Flash:
- Arrow Season 5: Ultimate Guide To The Latest News And Rumors For Diehard Arrowheads
- Get Up To Speed With The Flash Season 3: News, Rumors, Trailers & All You Need To Know
Legends Of Tomorrow Season 2 Trailers, Previews & Promos
Check out the brand new trailer for the next installment of Legends Of Tomorrow, "Land Of The Lost". Legends has taken another week-long hiatus and will return on Tuesday March 7th on The CW.
Check out the trailer below:
Be sure to check back here for weekly updates!
Legends Of Tomorrow Season 2 Cast & Characters
A lot has happened since Season 1 wrapped up, and that includes a few changes to the large cast. Let's take a look at who will be traveling the Waverider through time this season.
- Caity Lotz/Sara Lance: Lotz portrayed the badass assassin on Arrow before she was subsequently killed and resurrected. Now she helps the team on their time traveling missions as the White Canary, and this year she's out for revenge.
- Victor Garber/Martin Stein: A film legend, Garber portrayed Stein on The Flash — the genius professor who becomes one half of metahuman Firestorm. After defeating Savage, Stein was convinced to come back by the other half of Firestorm Jefferson.
- Brandon Routh/Ray Palmer: Routh is no stranger to superheroics, having played the titular character in 2006's Superman Returns he joined Arrow in 2014 as Ray Palmer/the Atom. A scientist, inventor and businessman, he developed a power-suit that is capable of shrinking, and it really comes in handy for the team, especially for sneaking into places.
- Arthur Darvill/Rip Hunter: Having previously appeared on Doctor Who, Darvill is no stranger to time travel. As Rip Hunter, he leads the collective team of Legends throughout different times and consistently warns them of the dangers of disrupting the timeline. After losing his wife and son, Rip finally got his revenge by killing the man responsible for their deaths, Vandal Savage.
- Franz Drameh/Jefferson "Jax" Jackson: Replacing the fallen Ronnie Raymond as the other half of Firestorm, Jax was drugged by Professor Stein and taken aboard the Waverider. Ironically, it was he who then convinced Stein to return for a second outing.
- Dominic Purcell/Mick Rory: Purcell is best known his role as Lincoln Burrows on Prison Break, and he excels as the career criminal Heat Wave. Originally set against saving the world, he eventually grew fond of his teammates. And although he lost his best friend (Wentworth Miller's Captain Cold), he decided to return despite the mission's end.
- Amy Pemberton/Gideon: Everyone's favorite artificial intelligence system, Gideon guides the team on the Waverider through history and is always on hand to help.
- Nick Zano/Nathan Heywood: Zano is one of the new cast additions and will portray Nathan Heywood — a historian who discovers that the Legends are in trouble. Coincidentally, he also happens to be the grandson of JSA member Commander Steel.
- Maisie Richardson-Sellers/ Vixen: Another new face, Richardson-Seller portrays Amaya Jiwe, who can channel the abilities of animal kingdom thanks to the mysterious Tantu Totem. She is also the grandmother of the Vixen Mari McCabe — who appeared on Arrow last season. It's looking like she will be joining the Waverider crew.
- Matt Letscher/Reverse-Flash: Letscher portrayed the evil Reverse-Flash on The Flash. Although the character is currently dead in the main timeline, it's likely that a little time travel will bring him back to life. Some would say he's the reverse, but all will say he's back!
What Is Season 2 About?
As the team successfully completed their mission last season by defeating Savage, Season 2 will be focusing on a brand new storyline, which will see the Legends become time masters, protecting the timeline from any "time aberrations".
This will lead to a brand new mission for the team. The official Season 2 synopsis gives us a glimpse into the new direction the show is taking.
After the defeat of the immortal villain Vandal Savage and the corrupt Time Masters who colluded with him, a new threat emerges. Dr. Nate Heywood (Nick Zano), an unconventional and charming historian, is thrust into the action upon making a shocking discovery – the Legends are scattered throughout time.Nate must find a way to rescue season one’s beloved team of heroes and rogues, including billionaire inventor Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh); Sara Lance (Caity Lotz), the White Canary; Professor Martin Stein (Victor Garber) and Jefferson “Jax” Jackson (Franz Drameh), who together form the meta-human Firestorm; and Mick Rory (Dominic Purcell), aka Heat Wave. When the Legends encounter the J.S.A (the Justice Society of America, the precursor to DC’s Justice League) in the 1940s, Amaya Jiwe (Maisie Richardson-Sellers), aka Vixen, joins the team. While the team reunites, a mystery looms – the fate of former captain Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill).Once reunited, the Legends continue their new mission to protect the timeline from temporal aberrations – unusual changes to history that spawn potentially catastrophic consequences. When Nate, the grandson of J.S.A. member Commander Steel, unexpectedly finds himself with powers, he must overcome his own insecurities and find the hero within himself. Ultimately, the Legends will clash with foes both past and present, to save the world from a mysterious new threat.
It definitely sounds like one jam-packed premiere! I don't know about you, but I'm definitely excited after reading this. Things are certainly going to get... interesting, to say the least!
Meet The Justice Society Of America
Our favorite time-traveling Legends won't be the only supergroup in Season 2 of Legends Of Tomorrow. Now we know that the iconic Justice Society Of America will be debuting during the season's second episode, where they will cross paths will the Legends in a Nazi-occupied Paris.
Despite trying to help them, the JSA seemingly wants nothing to do with the time-travelers. However, things don't necessarily work out that way and judging from the recent teaser, all hell breaks loose anyway. Something tells me that a team-up between the #superheroes is inevitable — based on what's coming, it may be the only way for any team to be victorious.
- Stargirl: Get To Know The New Member Of The JSA On Legends Of Tomorrow
- Commander Steel: Get To Know The New Hero Of Legends Of Tomorrow
The Legion Of Doom Is Coming
Comic book fans will know that the Legion of Doom is one of the most revered group of supervillains in DC history, and are common antagonists of the JSA. So it's only fitting that they are arriving in Season 2 of Legends Of Tomorrow as well. The announcement was made at Comic-Con when Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim revealed:
"For Season 2 of 'Legends,' we decided that the perfect antagonist for TV’s first-ever team of superheroes would be TV’s first-ever team of super-villains, recruited from the ranks of Arrow and The Flash’s deadliest adversaries. Being huge fans of the 'Challenge of the Superfriends,' we’ve come to call this group our ‘Legion of Doom."
Now let's take a look at the lineup of this lethal faction, getting to know both the actors are the deadly villains they are portraying.
- Matt Letscher/ Reverse-Flash: Eobard Thawne may have been under the guise of Harrison Wells for most of Season 1 of The Flash before his death, but we now know that he is very much alive and well in Legends. Remember that Reverse-Flash does feature in the Season 3 premiere of The Flash. Could this version escape Barry's clutches and form the Legion? We know Letscher is a series regular, so expect to see Reverse-Flash a lot.
- Wentworth Miller/Captain Cold: You may remember that Captain Cold died a hero at the end of Season 1 of Legends Of Tomorrow, saving his friend Mick. However, despite leaving the show, actor Wentworth Miller signed a new series regular contract across all CW superhero shows. And Cold will be returning to his villainous roots, joining forces with three of the darkest foes in the Arrow-verse. We don't know which version of Snart it is yet, but it's likely either an earlier timeline version or the original one may have been resurrected by Barry thanks to the Flashpoint event.
- John Barrowman/Malcolm Merlyn: Arrow's devious Dark Archer seems to have trouble deciding if he's good or bad these days. While actor John Barrowman will continue to appear on Arrow, he has also signed the same type of contract as Wentworth Miller, so expect to see him doing plenty of manipulating as part of the Legion Of Doom
- Neal McDonagh/Damien Darhk: The big bad of Arrow Season 4 is most notorious for his controversial killing of the beloved Black Canary. However, he also met his end in similar fashion as Green Arrow drove an arrow into his stomach. How he will return will be interesting, but expect White Canary to have no issues taking him out all over again.
What Else Should We Expect To See?
Now that you know more about which heroes are returning, the new storyline as well as the new faces due to arrive, let's take a look at some of the other things we should be looking out for during Season 2 of Legends Of Tomorrow.
- Legends Of Tomorrow is going to be part of The CW's historic three-night, four-show superhero crossover along with Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl. The major threat that will unify the heroes are the alien race known as the Dominators.
- Arrow star Katie Cassidy has also signed a series regular contract across all CW superhero shows. She portrayed Laurel Lance/Black Canary for Arrow's first four seasons until her character's death last season. She would later portray villainous Earth-2 doppelganger Black Siren on #TheFlash. With Cassidy's new contract, Legends is one of the shows she is most likely to appear on due to her character being the sister of Sara Lance. Whether it's the return of her sister or the revenge of the Siren, expect to see this Canary Cry on Season 2 of Legends Of Tomorrow.
With Legends Of Tomorrow being one of the most well-received new shows last season, it's no surprise that it was renewed for a second season. However, the show itself is full of surprises and I have no doubt that it will continue to amaze us. You can officially consider yourself all caught up on what to expect from Season 2 as we eagerly anticipate its return. The time-traveling group of superheroes and villains will reunite and board the Waverider once more, all while arguing with new heroes, battling new villains and saving the timeline with their new mission. And I can't wait to see it!
Legends Of Tomorrow Season 2 returns on March 7, 2017. Are you excited? Let us know in the comments!