Joaquin Phoenix is somewhat of an entity unto himself, usually opting for the oddball, neurosis driven characters which go against the grain of conventional Hollywood roles. His newest novelty is delivered in a weirdo rom-com, which see's him flirting and falling in love with the voice of an operating system (Scarlett Johansson) in Spike Jonze's Her.
As Indiewire comment, the film has been described as "disarmingly funny, insightful and empathetic," and it's accompanying soundtrack evokes all of these things perfectly.
We managed to acquire the soundtrack via Indiewire, and have included a couple of featured songs for you to preview; though unfortunately the special duet between the lead lovers and has not yet been unveiled.
But naturally all of the songs are love-inspired:
- "Off You" The Breeders
- "When You Know You're Gonna Die" Arcade Fire
- "Cleopatra in New York (Zim Zam Mix)" Nickodemus
- "Alien Child" Will Collins
- "Super Symmetry" Arcade Fire
- "Magnesium" N.A.S.A.
- "I'm So Glad" Entrance
- "The Moon Song" Scarlett Johansson and Joaquin Phoenix
- "Racing Turtles" Barrie Gledden, Tim Reilly and Jason Pedder
- "8 Bit Disco No. 3" Philip Guyler
- "Need Your Love So Bad" Little Willie John
- "Sure of Love" The Chantels
- "Dimensions" Arcade Fire
- "The Moon Song" Karen O.
Whilst we are still in the dark as to when the official soundtrack will drop in its entirety, in the mean time I suggest, sticking on your favorite headphones and zoning out to these beauties:
Arcade Fire's soaring track Supersymmetry:
Little Willie John, Need your love so bad.
The Chantels, Sure of love
What are your thoughts on the Her tracklisting?