They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and that's certainly true for one Jedi. It's been almost 35 years since Luke Skywalker wielded his famous green lightsaber. But in a recent interview with Comic-Con HQ, #MarkHamill was reunited with none other than the very weapon itself.
At first Hamill thought it was a replica, but was assured that it was the original prop. It served as Luke's lightsaber in #StarWars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, and Hamill was pretty excited to see it again:
"Okay, now this is pretty cool. I mean, I haven't seen this thing in years!"
Check out the touching reunion below:
Blast From The Past
Luke's green lightsaber was a replacement for his father's, which he lost on Cloud City. That blue lightsaber later came to be in the possession of Rey in The Force Awakens. The green one, however, was Luke's own construction rather than an heirloom, and an integral part of his Jedi training.
The prop itself was first used by Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan Kenobi) in A New Hope, where it was used to battle Darth Vader. Hamill explained that the blade was coated in a material that "reflected the light source back hundreds of times the intensity" in order to achieve that authentic lightsaber glow.
- Everything You Never Knew You Needed To Know About Lightsabers And Their Colors In The 'Star Wars' Expanded Universe
- 'Star Wars 8' Might Answer The Big Question About Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber
- To My Many Enemies: Mark Hamill Mocks Trump's New Year's Tweets In This Joker Voice Clip
The Lightsaber In Action
While Luke may have only wielded his green lightsaber in Episode VI, it definitely featured in some pretty iconic battles. Check out these scenes from Return of the Jedi and see Luke's lightsaber in its element:
5. Luke Constructs His New Lightsaber
4. Busting Out Some Impressive Moves Over The Sarlacc Pit
3. Taking Out A Speeder Bike On Endor
2. Darth Vader Compliments His Son's Craftsmanship
1. Luke Skywalker And Darth Vader Battle It Out
Which of Luke's lightsabers do you prefer?
(Source: Comic Book)