2017 is going to be a huge year for horror villains. Although, direct competition between titans of terror wasn't something I anticipated. Specifically between the upcoming Friday The 13th and Halloween reboots.
The new films will go head-to-head in the box office in October of next year, kissing possibilities of a peaceful coexistence goodbye. But which masked slasher will come out on top?
'Friday The 13th' Reboot (October 13th, 2017)
The next 'Friday The 13th' franchise entry is sure to be a special installment. Not only have the people behind this reboot spent years carefully planning the film, its creative team is surprisingly legitimate for a Friday The 13th movie. Writer Aaron Guzikowski penned the script for Prisoners, a critically acclaimed script and highly anticipated thriller. Moreover, director Breck Eisner, is the man behind the highly praised Crazies remake.
Why Be Excited For The 'Friday The 13th' Reboot?
First up, according to producer Brad Fuller, this will be an origin for Jason and his family that no one has seen before. Furthermore,
- The reboot will be set in the 1980s.
- This will be the thirteenth Friday The 13th movie.
- We're finally going to see Papa Voorhees and Jason together for the first time ever!
- Jason's vengeful mom, Pamela Voorhees, is also returning.
- Jason is still going to slash teens in the next film, even though it's more of an origin story.
- It's going to be released on Friday The 13th!
Stop right there! Are you interested in reading more slasher related articles? Click below!
- Why 'Friday The 13th' Reboot Delay Could Be Good For The Series
- Freddy Vs Jason 2: 5 Villains That Need To Fight In Their Next Battle!
- 5 Reasons Michael Myers Is The Perfect Man To Be In A Relationship With
'Halloween' Reboot (October 2017)
After seven years away from the silver screen, Michael Myers is finally returning to Haddonfield next year. With John Carpenter, the father of the Halloween franchise, tapped to executive produce this reboot, we can hope for Halloween to revert back into its classic roots. As some film series tend to stray from their source material, this is stellar news for fans of the originals.
These killer facts have us excited for the next Halloween
- Thirty-eight years after his original Halloween was released, John Carpenter will be overseeing this reboot as executive producer.
- Carpenter may also score the new film.
- Blumhouse Productions (Insidious, The Purge), is behind the new movie.
- This entry won't have anything to do with Rob Zombie's Halloween films from 2007 and 2009.
- Michael Myers will be returning to his traditional form, both physically and mentally.
Fans of Halloween and Friday The 13th Can't Wait
As far as anticipation is concerned, I'd say there's little room for more. It's been nearly a decade since we've seen either Michael Myers or Jason on the big screen, giving fans plenty of time to build excitement. The real question is: which one will make the biggest splash upon returning?
Which Titan of Terror Will Rule The Scariest Month of 2017?
It's hard to predict who'll come out on top, in part because the films remain mysterious. It's safe to guess, however, they'll have similar turnouts. Friday The 13th is building an impressive production team, promising a stellar entry into the franchise. Meanwhile Halloween is bringing back its creator, John Carpenter. And he's vowed to take the series back to its roots, something fans have been asking for since the Rob Zombie era.
In the end, it's good to see these franchises are putting effort into making quality films. Both Jason and Michael Myers have been gone for far to long, so fans are the ones who truly win.