It's safe to say that Season 4 of The Flash might just be the most eagerly anticipated season of the show yet. After last season's jaw-dropping finale, fans will undoubtedly be tuning in to see how Team Flash deal with the aftermath of Barry's disappearance, and all the new threats that await them.
Moreover, with the series possibly tackling another legendary comic book storyline, and the upcoming debut of the first ever non-speedster Big Bad, things are certainly set to get a lot crazier in Central City.
But amidst all the Speed Force stress, there will be a number of new faces making their mark next season. From stretchy heroes to quick-thinking villains, it looks like we'll have quite a crowded show this year. With that in mind, let's meet the brand new cast members of The Flash Season 4.
Note: This list will be updated to include new additions to the cast as they're announced, so be sure to return to this article regularly.
Katee Sackhoff — Amunet Black/Blacksmith
After she teased us with a potential new role on social media, it was announced that Battlestar Galactica alum Katee Sackhoff would be joining The Flash in a recurring role.
- Past Projects: The Fearing Mind, The Education Of Max Bickford, Halloween: Resurrection, Battlestar Galactica, Bionic Woman, Batman: Year One, Longmire, Riddick, Occulus.
- What We Know: Sackhoff will be portraying the DC Comics villain Amunet Black a.k.a. Blacksmith. The character is described as a "steely and badass boss of an underground black market for supervillains." She will have a list of metahumans at her disposal, and will first show up in the fifth episode of the season, which also happens to be a mini crossover with Arrow, featuring Emily Bett Rickards.
- Why She's Perfect: A TV and film veteran, Sackhoff has no shortage of experience on screen. From playing a Lieutenant on Battlestar Galactica to a Sheriff on Longmire, (not to mention everything in between) she has given us countless empowering performances over her successful career, and something tells me that she's destined to do it again in Central City.
Neil Sandilands — The Thinker
After multiple teases throughout Season 3, it was soon announced that Clifford DeVoe a.k.a. The Thinker would be the main villain of Season 4, marking the show's first ever non-speedster Big Bad. It was then revealed at #SDCC2017 that Neil Sandilands would be portraying the character.
- Past Projects: Hap and Leonard, The 100, NCIS.
- What We Know: Instead of using speed to outrun the Flash, DeVoe will use his brain to outwit him in a battle that is being billed as "The Fastest Man Alive vs. The Fastest Mind Alive." According to the official character description, he too was caught in the particle accelerator explosion, and ends up becoming an extremely intelligent metahuman who plans to fix all that is wrong with humanity. He'll have help from his right hand villain, the Mechanic.
- Why He's Perfect: Having starred as the imposing Titus in Season 3 of The 100, Sandilands is no stranger to larger-than-life roles. The CW is know for being very good to their actors, so I have no doubt that he will make them proud in such an integral role on their biggest show.
Hartley Sawyer — Ralph Dibny/Elongated Man
After a character description for Ralph Dibny was uncovered by That Hashtag Show, it was then revealed that Hartley Sawyer would be joining the show to portray the character. Dibny is undoubtedly better known to comic book fans as Elongated Man.
- Past Projects: Glory Daze, The Young & The Restless, SPiN, Saving The Human Race.
- What We Know: As most comic book fans already know, Ralph Dibny will be an ally of Team Flash. The TV show version is described as being a fast-talking private investigator by day, and "by night costumes up to patrol the streets and fight crime thanks to his ability to stretch his body to any shape or form". According to a previously released character breakdown, he also has the potential to return for Season 5.
- Why He's Perfect: Sawyer has played a range of quirky roles before (most notably in the critically acclaimed short-film SPiN), and this experience will undoubtedly benefit him when portraying the fast-talking Dibny.
Danny Trejo — Breacher
In another shocking Comic-Con announcement, it was revealed that film and TV icon Danny Trejo would be joining the show as the Earth-19 character Breacher.
- Past Projects: Heat, Desperado, Con Air, Spy Kids, Predators, Breaking Bad, Machete, Sons Of Anarchy, Machete Kills, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series.
- What We Know: Breacher is described as being "a feared bounty hunter from Earth-19 and the imposing father of Gypsy. His mission is to prevent any inter-dimensional traveler from threatening life on his Earth — especially his daughter’s".
- Why He's Perfect: Trejo isn't just a Hollywood icon, he's an action movie veteran. His knowledge and expertise in the area ensures that he will have no problem portraying the imposing Breacher. Few people do imposing like Trejo, thus I have no doubt that he is the perfect choice to bring Breacher to life.
Kim Engelbrecht — The Mechanic
In yet another Comic-Con announcement, it was revealed that Kim Engelbrecht will be showing up in Season 4 as DC Comics Character, the Mechanic.
- Past Projects: Boy Called Twist, Isidingo, Bunny Chow, Dominion, Eye In The Sky.
- What We Know: While we don't know a lot about The Mechanic, we do that she is an incredibly intelligent engineer who will design devices for DeVoe. Moreover, she will also be his right hand and is described as being "the truest of true believers who'll stop at nothing to help him implement his plan to fix humanity".
- Why She's Perfect: From Black Siren's support of Zoom and Promethus to Isabel Rochev's Deathstroke backup, it's clear that every Big Bad benefits from a badass lieutenant. And as Engelbrecht is no stranger to the impossible (thanks to her role on Dominion), I have no doubt that she has all the right tools to bring the Mechanic to life.
Sugar Lyn Beard — Hazard
It was recently announced that Sugar Lyn Beard has joined the show and will appear as Rebecca Sharpe a.ka. the villainous Hazard.
- Past Projects: The Zone, The Mindy Project, Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates.
- What We Know: Sharpe will appear in the third episode of the season and is described as "perpetually down-on her luck and is convinced her life is cursed — until a freak accident changes everything. With the universe on her side, she poses a threat to both Team Flash and Central City".
- Why She's Perfect: Beard has appeared in a number of quirky TV roles before and based on the character description, that's exactly what we can expect Hazard to be as well. After Season 3's darkness, a quirky villain like Hazard is exactly what the show needs, and Beard is the perfect choice to bring a character like that to life.
In the midst of all the craziness that awaits Team Flash when the show returns for its fourth season, we're going to be introduced to quite a few brand new faces. While some of them will be popping up more often than others, it will be interesting to see what they add to the already packed cast.
With characters like DeVoe, the Mechanic, Breacher and Elongated Man on the way, Season 4 is shaping up to be the show's most awesome outing yet. But just how will the Scarlet Speedster deal with all the madness when the show returns on Tuesday, October 10? Time will most certainly tell.
Are you excited to see these new cast members in action? Let us know in the comments below!