Alien invasions, cyborgs, clones, zombie infestations and scientific experiments gone horribly, horribly wrong. These are just some of the delights you can look forward to as we take a look at the best new and upcoming Sci-Fi movies 2017 has to offer.
With many exciting movies finding their way to the big screen this year, if you're a true science fiction buff you're going to need to get out your Ellen Ripley notepad and HAL-9000 biro to start writing down some very, very important dates. With a healthy mix of sequels, prequels and originals in the pipeline, there's no better time to start planning your cinema calendar than the present — so live long and sort out your upcoming movie roster!
All The New & Upcoming Sci-Fi Movies Coming Out In 2017:
'The Circle' - 28 April 2017
- Director: James Ponsoldt
- Cast: Tom Hanks, Emma Watson and Karen Gillan
- Plot: Based on the book of the same name by Dave Eggers, a young woman finds herself working for a powerful tech company known as the Circle (which may or may not be loosely based on Google) when she get involved with a strange man, her world begins to unravel.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will be Hank's second time starring in an adaptation of a book by Dave Eggers, having already featured in A Hologram for the King.
'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2' - 5 May 2017
- Director: James Gunn
- Cast: Karen Gillan, Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana
- Plot: Only two months after the end of the first film, the Guardians continue to journey across the cosmos, battling to keep their newly discovered family together and learning more about Peter Quill's parents while they do it.
- Insane Movie Fact: So sure of the movie's success, it was announced that there would be a Guardians of the Galaxy sequel a week before the first movie was even released back in 2014.
'Alien: Covenant' - 19 May 2017
- Director: Ridley Scott
- Cast: Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Katherine Waterston
- Plot: Discovering what they believe to be paradise, the crew of "Covenant," a colony ship, soon find out this planet is not what it seems, instead finding out that David (Fassbender) the doomed "synthetic" survivor of the Prometheus expedition, is the only inhabitant on the planet.
- Insane Movie Fact: Originally the movie was going to be called 'Alien: Paradise Lost.'
'Wonder Woman' - 2 June 2017
- Director: Patty Jenkins
- Cast: Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and Robin Wright
- Plot: Raised on a sheltered island where she was taught how to be a formidable fighter, Diana, princess of the Amazons discovers Steve Trevor, an American pilot, after he crashes onto her island. After explaining the World War to her, Diana leaves her home to try and put an end to it.
- Insane Movie Fact: William Moulton Marston, the creator of Wonder Woman was also the inventor of the first lie detector.
'Transformers: The Last Knight' - 23 June 2017
- Director: Michael Bay
- Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Hopkins and Laura Haddock
- Plot: Upon discovering that he's inadvertently destroyed his hometown, Optimus Prime sets out to bring his planet back to life, but the only way he can do that is if he retrieves a specific artifact from earth.
- Insane Movie Fact: Director Michael Bay is a huge dog lover and upon discovering Freya, a dog with epilepsy who was unable to found a home, cast her in the movie.
'Okja' - June 28 2017
- Director: Joon-ho Bong
- Cast: Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ahn Seo-hyun and Lily Collins
- Plot: Mija (Seo-hyun), a young girl risks everything to stop a huge multi-national corporation from taking her best friend, a huge animal called Okja, hostage.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will be the second time Tilda Swinton has worked with Joon-ho Bong following her appearance in his film Snowpiercer (2013).
'War for the Planet of the Apes' - 14 July 2017
- Director: Matt Reeves
- Cast: Judy Greer, Chad Rook and Woody Harrelson
- Plot: Set after Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Caeser's ape colony is at constant war with an army of humans. This conflict ultimately ends in a battle that will decide the fate of his species on Earth.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will be the ninth feature in the Planet of the Apes franchise which began back in 1968.
'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets' - 21 July 2017
- Director: Luc Besson
- Cast: Cara Delevingne, Ethan Hawke and Dane DeHaan
- Plot: Valerian (DeHaan) and Laureline (Delevingne) work for the government of human territories as special ops agents. Embarking on a journey to the city of Alpha which comprises of thousands of different species, they soon discover unseen forces are at work which put the human race in grave peril.
- Insane Movie Fact: Adapting this French comic has been Luc Besson's pet project for many, many years.
'The Dark Tower' - 28 July 2017
- Director: Nikolaj Arcel
- Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Katheryn Winnick and Idris Elba
- Plot: Following protagonist, Roland Deschain, a frontiersman knight who relies on his pair of revolvers to get him out of a series of difficult situations, we watch as he goes on a journey to save his world by reaching a tower which is positioned at the peak of time and space.
- Insane Movie Fact: Written by Stephen King, The Dark Tower is actually a series of eight books which connect many of his other novels such as The Stand, Insomnia, Bag of Bones, The Talisman, Black House, Everything's Eventual and The Eyes of the Dragon.
'Death Note' - August 25 2017
- Director: Adam Wingard
- Cast: Keith Stanfield, Margaret Qualley and Willem Dafoe
- Plot: After coming across a supernatural notebook called the Death Note, which allows him to kill anyone he wants as long as he writes their name on its pages, a young man decides to change the world for the better.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will actually be the sixth adaptation of the famous Death Note anime novels, the other five being Japanese, including three live action movies, one live action TV drama and an anime series.
'Flatliners' - 29 September 2017
- Director: Niels Arden Oplev
- Cast: Nina Dobrev, Diego Luna, Kiefer Sutherland and Ellen Page
- Plot: A sequel to the 1990 original of the same name, Flatliners follows a group of medical students who become increasingly obsessed with performing "near death" experiences on themselves, bringing up past traumatic experiences which begin to have a very negative effect on their lives.
- Insane Movie Fact: Keifer Sutherland who was in the original film has committed to having a role in the 2017 movie.
'Blade Runner 2049' - 6 October 2017
- Director: Denis Villeneuve
- Cast: Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, Robin Wright and Mackenzie Davis
- Plot: LAPD Officer K (Gosling), a new blade runner, discovers a sinister secret which looks set to threaten the future of mankind. His grave discovery leads him into the path of Rick Deckard (Ford), a blade runner who disappeared over 30 years ago.
- Insane Movie Fact: Initially slated to be directing the feature, it transpires that Ridley Scott had to step down as director of Blade Runner 2049 (even though he directed the original) to focus instead on directing Alien: Covenant.
'Geostorm' - 20 October 2017
- Director: Dean Devlin
- Cast: Katheryn Winnick, Ed Harris and Gerard Butler
- Plot: In the aftermath of a catastrophic climate shift which threatens the world's survival, governments around the world unite and deploy a universal net of satellites equipped with geoengineering technology aimed at preventing natural disasters. After two years however, things begin to go wrong and two estranged brothers are tasked with the mission to stop the satellites malfunctioning before a world wide Geostorm destroys the planet.
- Insane Movie Fact: Some of the scenes were actually filmed at the NASA facility in New Orleans.
'God Particle' - 27 October 2017
- Director: Julius Onah
- Cast: Chris O'Dowd, Elizabeth Debicki and Gugu Mbatha-Raw
- Plot: After a team of astronauts discover that they are alone on a space station after a scientific experiment goes horribly wrong and causes the Earth to disappear, they have to decide whether another space shuttle that suddenly appears in their orbit is a friend, or a foe.
- Insane Movie Fact: With J.J.Abrams producing, there are rumors that this will be the third installment in his Cloverfield series which started with Cloverfield (2008) and was followed up with 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016).
'Thor: Ragnarok' - 3 November 2017
- Director: Taika Waititi
- Cast: Jaimie Alexander, Chris Hemsworth and Idris Elba
- Plot: In the aftermath of the events taking place in Avengers: Age of Ultron, while being captive without his hammer on the Planet Sakaar, Thor must battle his old friend the Hulk in order to return to Asgard and prevent evil Hela and the impending apocalyptic Ragnarök from dooming the Asgardian people.
- Insane Movie Fact: To bulk up for his role as Thor, Chris Hemsworth has to eat around six thousand calories a day and workout six to seven times a week.
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' - 15 December 2017
- Director: Rian Johnson
- Cast: Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher and Oscar Isaac
- Plot: Rey continues on her colossal intergalactic adventure with Luke Skywalker, Finn and Poe into the next chapter of the Star Wars saga.
- Insane Movie Fact: During production, the movie was referred to as 'Space Bear.'
'Bright' - December 2017
- Director: David Ayer
- Cast: Will Smith, Noomi Rapace, Joel Edgerton, Lucy Fry
- Plot: Set in a future dimension in which strange mystical creatures live among humans, a human cop is made to work with an Orc to discover a weapon that everyone is hellbent on possessing.
- Insane Movie Fact: Given a colossal budget of 90 million dollars, Bright is Netflix's most expensive movie to date.
Upcoming 2017 Sci Fi Movies With Dates TBA:
'Replicas' - 2017
- Director: Jeffrey Nachmanoff
- Cast: Keanu Reeves, Alice Eve & Thomas Middleditch
- Plot: In the aftermath of a horrible traffic accident, a synthetic biologist becomes obsessed with bringing his family members back to life at the cost of his safety with the government, the law and boundaries of science hindering his mission.
'The Six Billion Dollar Man' - 2017
- Director: Damian Szifron
- Cast: Mark Wahlberg
- Plot: TBC
- Insane Movie Fact: Filming started in September 2016.
'Annihilation' - 2017
- Director: Alex Garland
- Cast: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac and Tessa Thompson
- Plot: After a biologists husband vanishes, she joins a team including a psychologist, an anthropologist and a surveyor as they venture into an environmental disaster zone.
- Insane Movie Fact: This is the second time director Alex Garland and actor Oscar Isaac have worked together since Ex Machina (2016).
'How to Talk to Girls at Parties' - 2017
- Director: John Cameron Mitchell
- Cast: Elle Fanning, Nicole Kidman and Ruth Wilson
- Plot: Heavily influenced by the Sex Pistols in suburban London in the late '70s, Enn crashes a punk party and discovers attractive exchange student, Zan, but she's travelled much father than America to get to this party, she's actually from another galaxy.
- Insane Movie Fact: James Murphy, an American DJ has said he is creating a new genre of music for the movie known as 'extraterrestrial dance music.'
'Io' - 2017
- Director: Jonathan Helpert
- Cast: Margaret Qualley, Anthony Mackie and Danny Huston
- Plot: A teenage girl is one of the few survivors on a post-apocalyptic Earth, she must now chose whether to board the final shuttle leaving the planet or remain on Earth as a castaway in the place that she calls home.
- Insane Movie Fact: Both Diego Luna and Elle Fanning were cast in Io before they dropped out.
'Mute' - 2017
- Director: Duncan Jones
- Cast: Justin Theroux, Alexander Skarsgård and Paul Rudd
- Plot: Set in Berlin, forty years in the future which has now become a place overflowing with immigrants, where East clashes against the West, a mute bartender (Skarsgård) has lost the only reason he was living there, a woman who he believes has gone deep into the cities underbelly.
- Insane Movie Fact: Mute takes place in the same timelines as Jones' previous film, Moon and features an epilogue from the protagonist, Sam, from the movie.
'World War Z 2' - 2017
- Director: David Fincher (rumoured)
- Cast: Brad Pitt (other cast members TBC)
- Plot: TBC
- Insane Movie Fact: The World War Z franchise is a trilogy, making it Pitt's second movie series after the Ocean's trilogy.
'Iron Sky: The Coming Race' - 2017 / 2018)
- Director: Timo Vuorensola
- Cast: Lara Rossi, Vladimir Burlakov and Kit Dale
- Plot: Twenty years after Nazi's descended from the Moon and invaded Earth, Sarah Palin, the President of the Unite States flees the aftermath of a nuclear attack by entering a underground civilization based in Antarctica where she meets Adolf Hitler and his pet Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- Insane Movie Fact: Through launching two crowd-funding campaigns the producers manage to raise over five hundred thousand dollars to help fund this movie.