Alien invasions, cyborgs, clones, zombie infestations and scientific experiments gone horribly, horribly wrong. These are just some of the delights you can look forward to as we take a look at the best new and upcoming Sci-Fi movies of the next twelve months.
With well over forty movies to eagerly anticipate, if you're a true science fiction buff you're going to need to get out your Ellen Ripley notepad and HAL-9000 biro to start writing down some very, very important dates. With a healthy mix of sequels, prequels and originals in the pipeline, there's no better time to start planning your cinema calendar than the present — so live long and sort out your upcoming movie roster!
All The New & Upcoming Sci-Fi Movies Coming Out In 2017:
Incarnate - 2 December 2016
- Director: Brad Petyon
- Cast: Carice Van Houten, David Mazouz and Aaron Eckhart
- Plot: Following an unconventional exorcist who has a gift for entering the subconscious minds of those who have become possessed, when he is confronted with an eleven year old who is possessed by a demon from his past, he appears to meet his match.
- Insane Movie Fact: In preparation for his role, Eckhart decided to shout at people on Venice Beach while in disguise as a wheelchair-bound mentally disturbed Vietnam War veteran.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 16 December 2016
- Director: Gareth Edwards
- Cast: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn and Forrest Whitaker
- Plot: In the aftermath of the creation of the Galactic Empire, Jyn Erso (Jones) is recruited by the Rebel Alliance to work with Cassian Andor (Luna) and a team to try and retrieve the plans for the Death Star.
- Insane Movie Fact: James Earl Jones (now eighty five) has reprised his role as Darth Vader for the movie.
The Space Between Us - 16 December 2016
- Director: Peter Chelsom
- Cast: Asa Butterfield, Britt Robertson and Carla Gugino
- Plot: The first human being born on Mars travels to Earth for the first time and meets a girl he has been video-chatting with while on the red planet. Romance ensues. However, he risks his life as his body is not used to Earth's conditions and there is a race to return him back to the planet of his birth.
- Insane Movie Fact: The Space Between Us is the second sci-fi, space-related movie Asa Butterfield has featured in alongside Ender's Game.
Assassin’s Creed - 21 December 2016
- Director: Justin Kurzel
- Cast: Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard and Ariane Labed
- Plot: Based on the video game franchise of the same name, Assassin's Creed follows criminal Callum Lynch who has been saved from execution but in return has to participate in an ominous project which see's him reliving the memories of his ancient assassin ancestor who was alive during the Spanish Inquisition.
- Insane Movie Fact: All of the assassins costumes took between two and three months to hand-craft, and there are eight versions of each costume. Consequently each assassin has an entire costume team devoted just to them.
Passengers - 21 December 2016
- Director: Morten Tyldum
- Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt and Michael Sheen
- Plot: On a space trip that will take one hundred and twenty years to reach its destination, a distant planet referred to as "Homestead II," two sleep chambers malfunction ninety years too early meaning that Aurora (Lawrence) and Jim (Pratt) are left stranded on a spaceship, possibly until they die.
- Insane Movie Fact: Jennifer and Chris are set to make big bucks out of Passengers. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Chris is set to be paid twelve million, while Jennifer is on a colossal twenty million dollars.
Underworld: Blood Wars - 6 January 2017
- Director: Anna Foerster
- Cast: Kate Beckinsale, Theo James and Charles Dance
- Plot: Selene (Beckinsale) the infamous Vampire death dealer continues her battle against the Vampire faction the Lycan clan in a race against time to use a combination of her and her daughter's blood to become Vampire-Corvinus hybrids.
- Insane Movie Fact: Initially slated as Beckinsale's final movie playing Selene until producer Len Wiseman confirmed a sixth movie is currently in development which will be reprizing her character.
Death Race 2050 - 17 January 2017
- Director: G.J. Echternkamp
- Cast: Manu Bennett, Malcolm McDowell and Marci Miller
- Plot: As the original 1975 movie was set in a dystopian future where society revolves around a murderous cross-country race, its sequel takes place in a future where America has been monopolized by different corporation. The race has evolved to the drivers being given extra points for knocking over pedestrians.
- Insane Movie Fact: It's been nearly forty years since the original Death Race 2000 was released.
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 27 January 2017
- Director: Paul W. S. Anderson
- Cast: Ruby Rose, Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter
- Plot: Wasting no time, The Final Chapter starts where the previous movie in the franchise, Resident Evil: Retribution, left off. With humanity close to complete annihilation, Alice must return to where it all started, Racoon City in what looks likely to be the last battle for the human race.
- Insane Movie Fact: Even though this is the final movie in the Resident Evil franchise, there are strong rumors that a TV spinoff is in the works!
A Cure For Wellness - 17 February 2017
- Director: Gore Verbinski
- Cast: Mia Goth, Dane DeHaan and Jason Isaacs
- Plot: After a headstrong young executive is asked to retrieve his CEO from a ominous "wellness centre" in a deserted part of the Alps, he soon discovers something is horribly wrong with the spa, but by that point, he is already slowly getting sucked in to it.
- Insane Movie Fact: The movie used the beautiful Castle Hohenzollern in the German town of Hechingen for a lot of its filming.
The Dark Tower - 17 February 2017
- Director: Nikolaj Arcel
- Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Katheryn Winnick and Idris Elba
- Plot: Following protagonist, Roland Deschain, a frontiersman knight who relies on his pair of revolvers to get him out of a series of difficult situations, we watch as he goes on a journey to save his world by reaching a tower which is positioned at the peak of time and space.
- Insane Movie Fact: Written by Stephen King, The Dark Tower is actually a series of eight books which connect many of his other novels such as The Stand, Insomnia, Bag of Bones, The Talisman, Black House, Everything's Eventual and The Eyes of the Dragon.
God Particle - 24 February 2017
- Director: Julius Onah
- Cast: Chris O'Dowd, Elizabeth Debicki and Gugu Mbatha-Raw
- Plot: After a team of astronauts discover that they are alone on a space station after a scientific experiment goes horribly wrong and causes the Earth to disappear, they have to decide whether another space shuttle that suddenly appears in their orbit is a friend, or a foe.
- Insane Movie Fact: With J.J.Abrams producing, there are rumors that this will be the third installment in his Cloverfield series which started with Cloverfield (2008) and was followed up with 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016).
Spectral - 11 March 2017
- Director: Nic Mathieu
- Cast: Clayne Crawford, Max Martini, Emily Mortimer and James Badge Dale
- Plot: A team of special-ops agents are sent into a European city which has been overtaken by supernatural creatures, and reclaim it back from them.
- Insane Movie Fact: Both James Badge Dale and Max Martini worked together in 13 Hours (2016)
Ghost in the Shell - 31 March 2017
- Director: Rupert Sanders
- Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Michael Wincott and Michael Pitt
- Plot: The Major, a cyborg policewoman (Johansson) who captures hackers and cyber criminals alongside her team, Section 9, are up against a new kind of enemy who threatens to completely sabotage Hanka Robotic's AI technology.
- Insane Movie Fact: Margot Robbie was initially offered the role of The Major but when that fell through, Scarlett Johansson was given it instead.
The Circle - 28 April 2017
- Director: James Ponsoldt
- Cast: Tom Hanks, Emma Watson and Karen Gillan
- Plot: Based on the book of the same name by Dave Eggers, a young woman finds herself working for a powerful tech company known as the Circle (which may or may not be loosely based on Google) when she get involved with a strange man, her world begins to unravel.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will be Hank's second time starring in an adaptation of a book by Dave Eggers, having already featured in A Hologram for the King.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - 5 May 2017
- Director: James Gunn
- Cast: Karen Gillan, Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana
- Plot: Only two months after the end of the first film, the Guardians continue to journey across the cosmos, battling to keep their newly discovered family together and learning more about Peter Quill's parents while they do it.
- Insane Movie Fact: So sure of the movie's success, it was announced that there would be a Guardians of the Galaxy sequel a week before the first movie was even released back in 2014.
Life - 26 May 2017
- Director: Daniel Espinosa
- Cast: Rebecca Ferguson, Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal
- Plot: A crew of six onboard the International Space Station discover life on Mars which ultimately proves to be more intelligent then they ever imagined.
- Insane Movie Fact: The movie is heavily inspired by Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic, Alien.
World War Z 2 - 9 June 2017
- Director: David Fincher (rumoured)
- Cast: Brad Pitt (other cast members TBC)
- Plot: TBC
- Insane Movie Fact: The World War Z franchise is a trilogy, making it Pitt's second movie series after the Ocean's trilogy.
Transformers: The Last Knight - 23 June 2017
- Director: Michael Bay
- Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Hopkins and Laura Haddock
- Plot: Upon discovering that he's inadvertently destroyed his hometown, Optimus Prime sets out to bring his planet back to life, but the only way he can do that is if he retrieves a specific artifact from earth.
- Insane Movie Fact: Director Michael Bay is a huge dog lover and upon discovering Freya, a dog with epilepsy who was unable to found a home, cast her in the movie.
War for the Planet of the Apes - 14 July 2017
- Director: Matt Reeves
- Cast: Judy Greer, Chad Rook and Woody Harrelson
- Plot: Set after Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Caeser's ape colony is at constant war with an army of humans. This conflict ultimately ends in a battle that will decide the fate of his species on Earth.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will be the ninth feature in the Planet of the Apes franchise which began back in 1968.
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 21 July 2017
- Director: Luc Besson
- Cast: Cara Delevingne, Ethan Hawke and Dane DeHaan
- Plot: Valerian (DeHaan) and Laureline (Delevingne) work for the government of human territories as special ops agents. Embarking on a journey to the city of Alpha which comprises of thousands of different species, they soon discover unseen forces are at work which put the human race in grave peril.
- Insane Movie Fact: Adapting this French comic has been Luc Besson's pet project for many, many years.
Wonder Woman - 22 July 2017
- Director: Patty Jenkins
- Cast: Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and Robin Wright
- Plot: Raised on a sheltered island where she was taught how to be a formidable fighter, Diana, princess of the Amazons discovers Steve Trevor, an American pilot, after he crashes onto her island. After explaining the World War to her, Diana leaves her home to try and put an end to it.
- Insane Movie Fact: William Moulton Marston, the creator of Wonder Woman was also the inventor of the first lie detector.
Alien: Covenant - 4 August 2017
- Director: Ridley Scott
- Cast: Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Katherine Waterston
- Plot: Discovering what they believe to be paradise, the crew of "Covenant," a colony ship, soon find out this planet is not what it seems, instead finding out that David (Fassbender) the doomed "synthetic" survivor of the Prometheus expedition, is the only inhabitant on the planet.
- Insane Movie Fact: Originally the movie was going to be called 'Alien: Paradise Lost.'
Flatliners - 18 August 2017
- Director: Niels Arden Oplev
- Cast: Nina Dobrev, Diego Luna, Kiefer Sutherland and Ellen Page
- Plot: A sequel to the 1990 original of the same name, Flatliners follows a group of medical students who become increasingly obsessed with performing "near death" experiences on themselves, bringing up past traumatic experiences which begin to have a very negative effect on their lives.
- Insane Movie Fact: Keifer Sutherland who was in the original film has committed to having a role in the 2017 movie.
Iron Sky: The Coming Race - August 2017 (Date TBC)
- Director: Timo Vuorensola
- Cast: Lara Rossi, Vladimir Burlakov and Kit Dale
- Plot: Twenty years after Nazi's descended from the Moon and invaded Earth, Sarah Palin, the President of the Unite States flees the aftermath of a nuclear attack by entering a underground civilization based in Antarctica where she meets Adolf Hitler and his pet Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- Insane Movie Fact: Through launching two crowd-funding campaigns the producers manage to raise over five hundred thousand dollars to help fund this movie.
Blade Runner 2049 - 5 October 2017
- Director: Denis Villeneuve
- Cast: Jared Leto, Robin Wright and Mackenzie Davis
- Plot: TBC
- Insane Movie Fact: Initially slated to be directing the feature, it transpires that Ridley Scott had to step down as director of Blade Runner 2049 (even though he directed the original) to focus instead on directing Alien: Covenant.
Geostorm - 20 October 2017
- Director: Dean Devlin
- Cast: Katheryn Winnick, Ed Harris and Gerard Butler
- Plot: In the aftermath of a catastrophic climate shift which threatens the world's survival, governments around the world unite and deploy a universal net of satellites equipped with geoengineering technology aimed at preventing natural disasters. After two years however, things begin to go wrong and two estranged brothers are tasked with the mission to stop the satellites malfunctioning before a world wide Geostorm destroys the planet.
- Insane Movie Fact: Some of the scenes were actually filmed at the NASA facility in New Orleans.
Thor: Ragnarok - 3 November 2017
- Director: Taika Waititi
- Cast: Jaimie Alexander, Chris Hemsworth and Idris Elba
- Plot: TBC
- Insane Movie Fact: To bulk up for his role as Thor, Chris Hemsworth has to eat around six thousand calories a day and workout six to seven times a week.
Star Wars: Episode VIII - 15 December 2017
- Director: Rian Johnson
- Cast: Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher and Oscar Isaac
- Plot: Rey continues on her colossal intergalactic adventure with Luke Skywalker, Finn and Poe into the next chapter of the Star Wars saga.
- Insane Movie Fact: During production, the movie was referred to as 'Space Bear.'
The Six Billion Dollar Man - 22 December 2017
- Director: Damian Szifron
- Cast: Mark Wahlberg
- Plot: TBC
- Insane Movie Fact: Filming started in September 2016.
The Discovery - 2017
- Director: Charlie McDowell
- Cast: Rooney Mara, Riley Keough, Robert Redford and Jesse Plemons
- Plot: The movie takes place one year since the existence of an afterlife has been confirmed.
- Insane Movie Fact: The movie was largely shot in Newport Hospital on Rhode Island
Rupture - 2017
- Director: Steven Shainberg
- Cast: Noomi Rapace, Peter Stormare and Kerry Bishé
- Plot: Renee Morgan (Rapace) a single mother of a twelve year old son is suddenly kidnapped by strangers. She wakes up in a laboratory as is told some rather disturbing news concerning her genetic makeup.
- Insane Movie Fact: Rupture is based on a story which was written by Shainberg and Brian Nelson (Hard Candy).
Annihilation - 2017
- Director: Alex Garland
- Cast: Natalie Portman, Oscar Isaac and Tessa Thompson
- Plot: After a biologists husband vanishes, she joins a team including a psychologist, an anthropologist and a surveyor as they venture into an environmental disaster zone.
- Insane Movie Fact: This is the second time director Alex Garland and actor Oscar Isaac have worked together since Ex Machina (2016).
Death Note - 2017
- Director: Adam Wingard
- Cast: Keith Stanfield, Margaret Qualley and Willem Dafoe
- Plot: After coming across a supernatural notebook called the Death Note, which allows him to kill anyone he wants as long as he writes their name on its pages, a young man decides to change the world for the better.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will actually be the sixth adaptation of the famous Death Note anime novels, the other five being Japanese, including three live action movies, one live action TV drama and an anime series.
How to Talk to Girls at Parties - 2017
- Director: John Cameron Mitchell
- Cast: Elle Fanning, Nicole Kidman and Ruth Wilson
- Plot: Heavily influenced by the Sex Pistols in suburban London in the late '70s, Enn crashes a punk party and discovers attractive exchange student, Zan, but she's travelled much father than America to get to this party, she's actually from another galaxy.
- Insane Movie Fact: James Murphy, an American DJ has said he is creating a new genre of music for the movie known as 'extraterrestrial dance music.'
Io - 2017
- Director: Jonathan Helpert
- Cast: Margaret Qualley, Anthony Mackie and Danny Huston
- Plot: A teenage girl is one of the few survivors on a post-apocalyptic Earth, she must now chose whether to board the final shuttle leaving the planet or remain on Earth as a castaway in the place that she calls home.
- Insane Movie Fact: Both Diego Luna and Elle Fanning were cast in Io before they dropped out.
- Director: Duncan Jones
- Cast: Justin Theroux, Alexander Skarsgård and Paul Rudd
- Plot: Set in Berlin, forty years in the future which has now become a place overflowing with immigrants, where East clashes against the West, a mute bartender (Skarsgård) has lost the only reason he was living there, a woman who he believes has gone deep into the cities underbelly.
- Insane Movie Fact: Mute takes place in the same timelines as Jones' previous film, Moon and features an epilogue from the protagonist, Sam, from the movie.
- Director: Joon-ho Bong
- Cast: Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ahn Seo-hyun and Lily Collins
- Plot: Mija (Seo-hyun), a young girl risks everything to stop a huge multi-national corporation from taking her best friend, a huge animal called Okja, hostage.
- Insane Movie Fact: This will be the second time Tilda Swinton has worked with Joon-ho Bong following her appearance in his film Snowpiercer (2013).