ByJase Peeples, writer at Creators.co
Jase Peeples

Paramount Pictures has given Jason Voorhees the axe once again.

The highly-anticipated Friday the 13th reboot that was scheduled to begin shooting principal photography in less than six weeks has been shut down, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The news follows shortly after the studio had undated the movie earlier today; previously the film was set to slash its way into theaters on October 13.

The World War Z sequel planned at Paramount was also removed from the studio’s production schedule.

Multiple sources have revealed the creative minds that was gearing up to reboot the horror franchise – director Breck Eisner and production company Platinum Dunes – were also informed today that production on the film was being shut down.

Though the film was in pre-production and said to begin production in March, the movie had not yet been cast. An unnamed source close to Friday the 13th told THR "the production was not ready to go at this date."

However, other sources have said the studio decided to shut down the return of the iconic hockey mask-wearing killer after their most recent attempt to resurrect another fan-favorite horror franchise, Rings, under-performed at the box office. According to THR:

The exact reason for the move was unclear although one factor was the poor performance of the studio’s horror movie, Rings. That movie, which like, Friday the 13th, was to have restarted a horror franchise, cost $25 million and grossed $13 million over the weekend.

Sources say that execs quickly began second guessing Friday the 13th, believing it would have chased the same audience, although others point out the project is on the opposite spectrum of the horror scale.

Jason’s latest resurrection has been plagued with false starts for more than two years. The reboot was originally scheduled for a 2015 release, which was later moved to 2016 and then 2017. Despite stumbles, the film appeared to be on track with producers Brad Fuller and Andrew Form hyping the movie in a recent interview.

See Also:

The news that Paramount has shut down the entire production this time rather than delayed the film could mean this return trip to Camp Crystal Lake has seen its final Friday.

It may be some time before Jason lives again.

Trending

Latest from our Creators