While the news is regularly inundated with tales of celebrity hissy-fits, on-set dramas and Kanye West, it's sometimes easy to tarnish all famous folk with the same brush. That is, of course, until you hear lovely tales of human decency like the ones below.
From Ryan Reynolds and his artistic integrity to Keanu Reeves and his deep, rabbit hole-esque pockets, the following four actors have gone way beyond the call of duty to keep their co-workers happy as Larry.
1. Ryan Reynolds Used His Own Cash To Ensure Deadpool Was A Hit
So 20th Century Fox's financial constraints didn't interfere with his and director Tim Miller's vision, Reynolds delved deep into his own pocket so they could afford screenwriters on set. During an episode of AMC's Geeking Out, writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese (who're also penning Deadpool 2) said:
"We were on set every day. Interestingly, Ryan wanted us there, we were on the project for six years. It was really a core creative team of us, Ryan, and the director Tim Miller. Fox interestingly wouldn't pay for us to be on set. Ryan Reynolds paid out of his own money, out of his own pocket."
On another occasion, Reynolds dished out 10 grand just so Wade Wilson could wear a Golden Girls Bea Arthur T-shirt, the actress Deadpool is obsessed with in the comics.
2. Hugh Jackman Bought His Les Misérables Crew Lottery Tickets
Dealing with guilt like a boss, two months into his first movie in America, Jackman realized he'd not taken the time to learn half of the crew's names. So, in order to rectify that, he now buys lottery tickets for everyone and hands them out. According to The Sun, while filming Les Mis, he returned to set one afternoon with wad of scratch cards worth 250 a pop — a move he also pulled on the set of Real Steel, treating the crew to 500 US Lotto tickets.
What a champ!
- Ryan Reynolds Is Done With Superheroes! 7 Things You Never Knew About 'Deadpool'
- 6 Acts of Kindness That Prove These Celebrities Have Hearts Of Gold
- Anger Management From 'Batman' To 'Star Wars': 6 Movie Actors Who Were Bullied On Set
3. Keanu Reeves Rewarded The Unsung Heroes Of The Matrix With $80 Million
In a mammoth move of generosity, back in 2003 Keanu Reeves gave away a huge proportion of his Matrix earnings to the franchise's costume and special effects team, declaring:
"Money is the last thing I think about. I could live on what I have already made for the next few centuries."
As if that weren't enough, the benevolent actor surprised the team shooting in Australia with a Harley Davidson motorcycle — each!
- Want to know more mad The Matrix facts? There are 16 of them in the Movie Pilot video below:
4. Johnny Depp Bought Winter Coats For Everyone In Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
So cold was it when the team began filming On Stranger Tides that Depp apparently took it upon himself to buy a warm, waterproof, winter coat for everyone involved. A simple gesture, although one that reportedly clocked up to $60k, but one that was surely appreciated by its recipients!
Do you know of any other actors who've gone above and beyond on set?