As we approach the end of the year, everyone is ready to release a collective sigh of relief. Still, how easy will it be to move on from all that has taken place in 2016? Well, as Sex and the City's Carrie Bradshaw once asked, "Can you get to your future if your past is present?"
It will take some work, but we can move onward — especially with news apparently leaking earlier this week that the core four ladies of #SexandtheCity have signed on to make a third film, continuing the story from the beloved HBO series.
While this does little to solve the larger problems in life, Carrie's words of wisdom have gotten us over many a hump. In honor of a new start, here are eight Sex and the City quotes that will inspire you to embrace 2017 with open arms — or a cosmo.
1. "As we drive along this road called life, occasionally a gal will find herself a little lost. And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda, buckle up and just keep going." (Season 4, episode 11, "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda")
We can — and many of us do — obsess over all the coulda, shoulda, wouldas in our own lives. Here, Carrie advises that you have to just let go and keep moving forward, something we all need to do with 2016.
2. "They say nothing lasts forever. Dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style." (Sex and the City, the movie)
Despite all that changes in life, friendship is one of the few constants that we can always count on. It is true for the girls of Sex and the City and it is true for us.
3. "Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be." (Season 5, episode 1, "Anchors Away")
With this quote, Carrie means that you have to let go of past failings in order to move forward. Even if you didn't always live up to your own expectations in 2016, we are embarking on a fresh start in a new year where you can get it right!
4. "The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous." (Season 6, episode 20, "An American Girl in Paris: Part Deux")
You are the love of your life! You just might now know it yet. For those who do, you are the envy of others. Our relationship with ourselves is often the most difficult relationship, but also the most important. This idea is the cornerstone of Sex and the City and a good goal to keep in mind for 2017.
5. "After all, computers crash, people die, relationships fall apart. The best we can do is breathe and reboot." (Season 4, episode 8, "My Motherboard, My Self")
The time has come to pick ourselves up by our 2017 bootstraps and carry on. If you are anything like me, you expect too much from yourself — especially in the face of a series of unfortunate events. The truth is, we can do it, we can get through it, we just have to believe in ourselves. It is time for our annual reboot; let's make the most of it!
6. "Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are." (Season 4, episode 18, "I Heart NY")
This is perhaps one of Carrie's greatest assessments as she takes us out of our own heads and brings us back to basics. Mistakes are a part of life and, like everything else, they come with silver linings — we just have to be willing to look for them and learn.
7. "Life gives you lots of chances to screw up, which means you have just as many chances to get it right." (Sex and the City, the novel)
A reoccurring theme on Sex and the City and in life: second chances. We don't always realize when we are getting one, but when we do, it is important that we make the most of them.
8. "The universe may not always play fair but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor." (Season 3, episode 17, "What Goes Around Comes Around")
Remember that time Carrie experienced an epic modeling fail? Well, we may not all have face-planted on a runway, but we have all had experiences that felt equally humiliating. The ability to look at the situation and laugh at it is the key to moving on unscathed. The universe owes you nothing, so roll with the punches and find the humor in it where you can.
What is your favorite Sex and the City quote? Share in the comments below!