Ever since Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created Spider-Man in 1962, he has been one of the most popular superheroes in the history of comics — and he's proved equally popular in other mediums as well. From animation to the early live-action TV series and on the big screen, here are the greatest actors who've brought the web-crawler to life.
9. Paul Soles
- Played Spider-Man In: Spider-Man (original animated series)
- First Debuted: September 9, 1967
- Years Active: 1967-1970
- Also Known For: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Score, The Incredible Hulk
Known as the first on-screen version of Spider-Man, the animated TV series starred Canadian actor Paul Soles (who was 37 at the time) and aired on ABC. To Spider-Man fans, Soles is a legend and will always be known as the actor who originally brought the character to the small-screen.
8. Nicholas Hammond
- Played Spider-Man In: The Amazing Spider-Man
- First Debuted: September 19, 1977
- Years Active: 1977-1979
- Also Known For: The Sound Of Music, Lord Of The Flies, Stealth
Despite this show only sticking around for 13 episodes before it was cancelled, Nicholas Hammond left his mark on the superhero genre by bringing Spidey to life in a television series.
Although this was the first live-action television series for Spider-Man, its not his first live-action appearance. That would be Danny Seagren on public television's "Spidey Super Stories," which is, uh, probably not considered canon:
7. Dan Gilvezan
- Played Spider-Man In: Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends
- First Debuted: September 12, 1981
- Years Active: 1981-1983
- Also Known For: The Transformers, The Pound Puppies
A crossover with the animated television series Spider-Man (1981), Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends was produced by Marvel Productions and aired on NBC every Saturday morning. Dan Gilvezan is well-known for his skills as a voice actor, having voiced another popular TV character: Bumblebee from The Transformers (1984). Gilvezan was born on October 26, 1950 in St. Louis, Missouri, and is still active.
6. Christopher Daniel Barnes
- Played Spider-Man In: Spider-Man
- First Debuted: November 19, 1994
- Years Active: 1994-1998
- Also Known For: The Little Mermaid, The Brady Bunch Movie
Like Gilvezan, Chris Barnes is a talented voice actor who defined the cartoon web-slinger for his era. He later portrayed Spider-Man's enemies Electro and Vulture in Ultimate Spider-Man and the video game Spider-Man unlimited, and returned as alternate versions of Spider-Man in the games Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions and Spider-Man: Edge of Time. He is also known for voicing Eric in the Disney animated film The Little Mermaid (1989) and for his on-screen portrayal of Greg Brady in The Brady Bunch Movie (1995).
5. Tobey Maguire
- Played Spider-Man In: Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3
- First Debuted: May 3, 2002
- Years Active: 2002-2007
- Also Known For: The Cider House Rules, Pleasantville, Seabiscuit, The Great Gatsby
With the release of Spider-Man (2002), superhero movies revolutionized Hollywood and made Maguire a household name. His dedication and motivation in portraying Peter Parker shined through and helped make the film a box-office success. For a generation of moviegoers, Maguire will always be "their" Spider-Man, although some viewers feel he played the role with not quite enough sarcasm.
4. Drake Bell
- Played Spider-Man In: Ultimate Spider-Man
- First Debuted: April 1, 2012
- Years Active: 2012-Present
- Also Known For: Drake & Josh (2004)
Yes, you read that right. The same boob from Drake & Josh (2004) has been voicing Spider-Man for the past five years. Interestingly enough, while Bell was doing such a fantastic job voicing the character, fans once petitioned him for a live-action portrayal of Spider-Man before Tom Holland was announced.
3. Donald Glover
- Played Spider-Man In: Ultimate Spider-Man
- First Debuted: September 27, 2014
- Years Active: 2014
- Also Known For: Community, Childish Gambino
Fans of Miles Morales finally got to see Donald Glover in the role — or at least hear him — in the episodes "The Spider-Verse, Part 3" and "The Spider-Verse, Part 4." In Morales' dimension, Peter Parker has died, so the 13-year-old takes over for him. Glover will have a supporting role in the MCU movie Spider-Man: Homecoming.
2. Andrew Garfield
- Played Spider-Man In: The Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 2
- First Debuted: 2012
- Years Active: 2012-2014
- Also Known For: The Social Network, Hacksaw Ridge
Andrew Garfield is a talented American-British actor who has made a huge, Oscar-nominated name for himself. Despite some of the fan backlash toward 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man sequel, Garfield did bring an authentic version of the character to the screen, better than we'd ever seen up to that point. Fans agree that he deserved better scripts, but at least Garfield had a chance to play his dream role for a time.
1. Tom Holland
- Played Spider-Man In: Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming
- First Debuted: May 6, 2016
- Years Active: 2016-Present
- Also Known For: In The Heart of The Sea, The Lost City of Z
Casting an actor for Spider-Man was Marvel Studios' biggest gamble yet, and it paid off amazingly well. Even with Holland's brief screen-time in Captain America: Civil War, web-head fans immediately fell in love with his portrayal and are looking forward to what he has in store for us with Jon Watts' Spider-Man: Homecoming. Here's hoping that Holland stays in the role for a long, long time!