Did you know that Dr Octopus was originally part of Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man?
The villain of the 2002 Spider-Man movie was the Green Goblin (played by , but this recently released concept art suggests that Doc Ock was originally part of the first film's script too. However, eventually the creators voted for the "one villain at a time" idea and Dr Octopus only appeared a film later (portrayed by ). The images were posted by artist , who also worked on films like Captain America: The First Avenger and The Matrix Reloaded. The illustrator confirmed that the character was "later taken out of the story and put in the sequel." Doc Ock was removed and rewrote the script to make the story simpler. What makes this interesting is that the creators of the upcoming Spider-Man movie seem to be working with just the opposite strategy: the upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is FULL of villains: Electro, Rhino, the Green Goblin... and also She-Venom, Puma, Big Man, Shocker and Sin-Eater were teased.
These unused images also suggest that both villains could have looked very differently. Take look here:
- Amazing Spider-Man 2 teases another villain, Big Man
- Will Spidey have to battle two more villains in The Amazing Spider-Man 2?
- She-Venom Easter egg in Amazing Spider-Man 2 viral site?
- Could Puma have a cameo in The Amazing Spider-Man 2?
- Gwen Stacy isn't a silly damsel in distress in Amazing Spider-Man 2
How do you like Doc Ock with this smiley face cup? Would you have preferred this look?