Despite minimal build-up in terms of marketing and promo, Season 1 of Stranger Things took Netflix by storm this summer, becoming something of a cultural phenomenon within a matter of days. Paying homage to a wealth of '80s classics, the TV series managed to fulfill all our nostalgia-craving needs without playing into the tried (or tired) and tested Hollywood formula of revive, rehash, reboot. And that's why it worked so well.
Though filming for #StrangerThings Season 2 has just begun, that hasn't hindered these guys from making news headlines on the daily, and rumors regarding potential plot lines flyin' in quicker than you can say Eggo Waffles. To honor that then, this article will be constantly updated with the latest goings on and should become your one-stop Upside Down shop for all things strange. Enjoy!
'Stranger Things' Season 2 News & Rumors
Update 01/11/2017: Stranger Things Season 2 Will Be 'Darker' And 'Bigger'
In a recent interview with Vanity Fair director and producer Shawn Levy dropped some heavy hints as to the vibe we can expect in Stranger Things's return to Netflix this summer:
“Season 2 is bigger and potentially darker in its stakes. The threat, which in Season 1 was to Will Byers, has grown. That’s all I’m going to say! But, I will say Season 2 has a bigger cast and is definitely loyal to the kind of magical storytelling that we established in the first season. It’s character-based and still about our core group of characters.”
And it would seem that Noah Schnapp, who plays #WinonaRyder's missing son, Will, has been upgraded to a series regular. He says:
“You’ll be seeing more of me. I’ll be there. In the last episode, I threw up a slug, so Season 2 begins with what happens from there. There may have been some effect on him. I may or may not have turned into a monster. You’ll have to watch to find out.”
Exciting!! Scroll down to our Stranger Things Season 2 Theories section for some prime speculation over what, or who, Will could be this time around.
Millie Bobby Brown's First Sleepover Sounds Stressful AF
Most teenagers are well versed in the art of sleepovers, but not Stranger Things' Millie Bobby Brown, who's been far more concerned with forging a brilliant career than munching popcorn with pals in PJ's while watching The Notebook. And if her first foray into the pastime is anything to go by, she probably won't make a habit of them, either.
During a recent interview with Ellen, she told the talk show host of her first sleepover with Dance Moms star, 14-year-old BFF, Maddie Ziegler:
“So I go over and at like 3:00 in the morning the fire alarm comes on and we all had to get rushed out of her apartment building! And I’m crying, cause I’m like, ‘My first sleepover is ruined!’ And so we’ve been through a lot: fire alarms, The Grove … we’re really good friends and we text each other every day.”
Better luck next time, Millie!
The Cast Of Stranger Things Take To The Golden Globes Red Carpet (And Look Amazing, Obviously).
Despite not picking up any awards at the #GoldenGlobes last night, the Stranger Things clan killed it on the red carpet. Like so:
Each one kept their look timeless, classy and demure AF. Well, apart from Steve and Jonathan, who decided to add another angle to their on-screen love triangle on the way to InStyle's after party.
Probably for the best that you stay out of this one, Nancy!
In other news:
- There Will Be Justice For Barb! Shannon Purser Lands Lead Role In Upcoming Movie
- How 'Stranger Things' Brought The Demogorgon To Life
- Does Comedian Brett Gelman's Casting Provide Further Insight Into 'Stranger Things' Season 2?
- 'Stranger Things' Season 2 Cast: Everything You Need To Know
- 'Stranger Things' Has Eggo-cellent Tribute To Barb In Retro News Video!
- Little Dustin From 'Stranger Things' Explained His Condition On TV And Gave Us Feels
- Did David Harbour Just Confirm Eleven's Fate In 'Stranger Things' Season 2?
'Stranger Things' Award Nominations 2017
With award season just around the corner, below you'll find a round-up of all Stranger Things' nominations (because the show is just that damn good, it can be hard to keep up):
- Grammy Awards — Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media
- SAG Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Millie Bobbie Brown & Winona Ryder, Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
- Peoples Choice Awards — Favorite TV Show, Favorite Premium/Sci-Fi Show
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Premiere Date
While no specific Stranger Things Season 2 premiere date has been announced yet, we do know that the series will hit Netflix in July 2017 — we'll keep our eyes peeled and let you know the minute release deets are revealed!
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Trailer
The Stranger Things Season 2 trailer is here and reveals the titles for all nine upcoming episodes — yep, that's one more hour of strange goodness than the previous season! Keep scrolling for our speculation regarding exactly what these titles could mean!
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Cast
Talking to The Hollywood Reporter, producer Shawn Levy announced that there will be a bunch of new faces joining the Stranger Things Season 2 cast. Here's what he said:
"There's definitely a handful of really compelling new characters this season, but absolutely servicing the core group first and foremost. But yes, we have some new characters entering the adventure [...] really, really intriguing ones."
And, you'll be happy to hear, that by clicking through to the article below you'll find all the juicy deets regarding both the returning cast and the brand new faces soon to be plodding around Hawkins, Indiana:
For more fun facts about the cast, check out:
- 9 Things You Need To Know About Netflix Hit 'Stranger Things'
- The Cast Of 'Stranger Things' Reacts To The Season 2 Announcement On Instagram
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Characters
A brief guide to the Stranger Things Season 2 characters:
- Joyce Byers — The deeply distressed mother of Will, Joyce spent most of the first season communicating with her missing son via fairy lights. Everybody treated her like she was having a psychotic break, until she turned out to be right.
- Jim Hopper — Police Chief of Hawkins, Indiana, who tragically lost his daughter to cancer at a young age. He firmly believes that mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
- Mike Wheeler — Will's best friend, Nancy's brother, and holds the closest relationship to Eleven.
- Eleven — Badass and psychic, 011 is a test subject in the MK Ultra program, raised by Dr. Martin Brenner (presumed dead) a.k.a Pappa.
- Dustin Henderson — Smart and diplomatic, Dustin uses these skills to keep his best friends grounded during the hunt for Will.
- Lucas Sinclair — Best friends with Mike, Dustin and Will, Lucas is an independent soul with excellent tracking skills.
- Nancy Wheeler — After her best friend Barb vanishes, Nancy develops from simple, stubborn teen to truth seeker, with her strong morals coming to the fore.
- Jonathan Byers — Will's brother, Jonathan is a soft, artistic soul, which makes him an outsider to his peers. He loves The Clash, photography and probably Nancy.
- Will Byers — Joyce's son Will was snatched by The Monster and, as a master hider, used his ingenuity to escape it's evil clutches in the Upside Down. It's currently unknown how his time spent there will affect him in the long run.
For a more detailed breakdown of each character including brief bio, occupation, status etc, head here:
This guide to Dungeons & Dragons is also a fantastic insight into how the game helps to explain the kids' characteristics.
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Review & Recap
Once Stranger Things Season 2 hits Netflix, this section will become your go-to round-up of all the episode reviews and recaps. Considering that both the audience and critic scores smash in with a 95% level freshness on Rotten Tomatoes, I'm sure this space will soon shine with positive reactions.
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Preview & Promos
Other than the the Season 2 trailer, no further previews or promos for Stranger Things have been released. That said, as mentioned earlier, the trailer did announce the titles for all nine episodes — keep scrolling to the 'Stranger Things Season 2 Theories' section for our musings regarding what they could mean.
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Spoilers
Fear not, this section will soon be filled with plot points for Season 2 & we will only post any direct Stranger Things spoilers here, rather links for you to peruse at your peril. Here's what we know so far:
- Barb is not going to pull a Jon Snow — she is "very, very dead."
If you're still holding on to some sort of deranged hope that there'll be "justice for Barb" in the shape of her resurrection in Stranger Things Season 2, then you're going to have to get over it. Sorry guys, no way to sugar coat this: Barb is actually dead, for reals and no, she's not coming back, not even as some demented plaid-coated poltergeist. So move on.
Matt Duffer told the crowd at Samsung 837:
“I mean, yes ― yes, she’s dead. I thought we were pretty clear about that. There’s a slug hanging out of her mouth ― out of her dead corpse. And then if you were still confused, [Chief Jim] Hopper finds her in the nest, also very dead.”
- Stranger Things Season 2 Will Contain Some "Next-Level Crazy Stuff."
The Stranger Things team has been rather stealthy — ninja-like, if you will — in regard to slipping plot spoilers past us in the run up to Season 2, which begins filming next month. However, producer and director Shawn Levy dropped a little nugget of information during a recent appearance on Southern California Public Radio that teases us with news of some "next-level crazy stuff."
In regard to living up to the insanely high expectations of the upcoming installment, he said:
"Yes, the pressure is on. It would be so blatantly disingenuous of me to say differently. It’s scary to have people love something this much. It becomes impossible to banish all thoughts of not wanting to disappoint. This has been the challenge of it: on the one hand as we’ve see in the movie world, to do a follow-up that feels like the same thing is disappointing to an audience; to abandon things or change things [from the original], that disappoints the audience. A lot of Season 2 is next-level, some crazy stuff, but we must service these characters who are now beloved, who are known to the audience."
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Spinoff
With only one season under its belt, it's unlikely that Stranger Things will spawn a spin off just yet, but I feel like Mara Wilson spoke for us all when she tweeted:
That said, while a direct spin-off may be some time in the making, it's not completely unlikely that the Duffer brothers could begin developing a separate project similarly based on Stephen King's work, seeing as they failed to bag the IT reboot.
'Stranger Things' Season 2 Theories
Like any TV show with a huge fanbase, Stranger Things's has spawned a wealth of theories that aim to investigate, explain and predict the more outlandish themes from the first season. From how Will's time in the Upside Down could influence his character, to whatever's going on with Eleven, here's a comprehensive round-up of the best theories so far:
Where To Watch 'Stranger Things' Season 2' Online
Currently, there is nowhere to watch Stranger Things Season 2 but will be available online via Netflix at some point in 2017, until then you'll have to cope with watching the first season on repeat via Netflix, listening to awesome soundtrack mixes, like this one:
Or checking out sweet video mash-ups like this one that rehashes Stranger Things scenes and repurposes them in the style of Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
'Stranger Things' Episodes: The Complete Guide
When the teaser trailer for Stranger Things Season 2 arrived, in true Duffer form, a number of enticing mysteries to resolve — 9, to be exact — arrived along with it. These nine enigmas are the episode titles and, while we know very little regarding narrative, we've taken some time to speculate the potential meanings hiding behind each one.
- Madmax — Could this be a homage to the classic '80s Mad Max franchise, or rather a direct reference to a new character — perhaps another child who shares Eleven's abilities.
- The Boy Who Came Back To Life — In the final episode of Season 1, this title was seen heading a newspaper article regarding Will's return. It's likely then, that this chapter will directly relate to his character.
- The Pumpkin Patch — As the second season will run during the autumn of 1984, it's pretty much guaranteed that this episode will occur during halloween and reference a number of horror movies from that decade.
- The Palace — This title could refer to a safe haven for Eleven, a palace-like building in an alternate reality or, maybe more likely, the Palace of the Silver Princess in Dungeons & Dragons.
- The Storm — Season 1 contained many references to the work of Stephen King and, seeing as he wrote a story called Storm of the Century, we'd place some safe bets that this episode is a homage to that tale.
- The Pollywog — A term commonly used to describe tadpoles, a creature symbolic of great change, The Pollywog episode may concentrate on those altered in the Upside Down.
- The Secret Cabin — Likely a hiding place, but for who? Could this be where Dr. Martin Brenner (if he's still alive) has been hiding, or where the kids seek solace while avoiding whatever horror this season has in store for them?
- The Brain — One would assume that this chapter will be linked to the psychic abilities of Eleven and those like her — if there are any others left.
- The Lost Brother — Could another character be snatched by the demonic Demogorgon, like Nancy's brother Mike, for example?
Read a full in-depth breakdown of what these Stranger Things season 2 episode titles could reveal.
'Stranger Things' Quotes To Give You Life
Want some Stranger Things quotes so you can whip that knowledge out on the daily? Of course you do, gawd — "sometimes, your total obliviousness just blows my mind!" ;)
The Coolest 'Stranger Things' Merchandise
Given the popularity of Stranger Things, there's an absolute buttload of seriously cool merchandise you can get your mitts on. From slayin' T-shirts to graphic prints and painted umbrellas, here's a round-up of the things we'd fill our shopping trolleys with:
This article will be constantly updated with all things related to Stranger Things Season 2, so keep coming back for the latest goss! See you on the other side.