Last week we saw the end of the two-part arc of The Flash entitled "Gorilla City," in which Grodd returns to Earth-1 to exact revenge on Central City for banishing him to another world with the help of his newly amassed army of evolved gorillas.
- Get Up To Speed With 'The Flash' Season 3: News, Rumors, Trailers & All You Need To Know
- 'The Flash' Season 3 Episode 13 Delivers Awesome Gorilla Battles & Fun Easter Eggs
But one figure has Flash fans' interests peaked — a speedster from the designated Earth-19 in a steampunk-styled suit whose identity is still a complete mystery.
Well, at least to the TV-exclusive fans.
Those more familiar with all things Flash might recognize him from a brief DC Comics appearance in the Multiversity Guidebook Issues #1 alongside an equally noir/steampunk Justice League, comprised of retro doppelgängers of famous characters such as Batman, Wonder Woman, and the aforementioned live-action guest of honor:
- Top 10 Moments From 'The Flash' Two-Part Gorilla Grodd Special That We Went Bananas For
- Someone Is Destined To Die On 'The Flash' Season 3 — But Who?
- The Bell Tolls For Jessie Quick: 3 Reasons Why The Female Speedster Will Fulfill Savitar’s Prophecy
The Accelerated Man
The Accelerated Man, as he's known on Earth-19, is essentially the Flash of that world, and as far as we know the only one of his kind there. From last week's episode we can discern a few things:
- He is a member of the multiverse policing task force of which Gypsy claims to be an officer.
- He appears to be Gypsy's subordinate, taking commands from her before disappearing.
- His lightning is purple, a color we haven't yet seen before.
Other than that, little is known about this character since his appearance in the books was a one-off. While that may frustrate fans who went digging for information to get clues for his involvement in the rest of Season 3 but came up short, there is a silver lining.
Unlike past speedsters in the series — from Jessie Quick to Jay Garrick, all the way back to Reverse Flash in Season 1 — nearly all of the quick-footed heroes and villains had one thing in common: They had detailed comic book counterparts that were deeply defined.
With The Accelerated Man however, the writers for #TheFlash have a unique and rare opportunity to build this character from the ground up; a creative freedom they have not as of yet had with any other character canonized in the Flarrowverse. That lack of knowing provides us with an air of addicting mystery on par with Welles being the Reverse Flash in the memorable first season.
However, there's also another question that begs to be answered. We saw Gypsy hand the scarved scarlet Speedster a pair of photos, and so the real question is:
Who Was The Woman In Black?
Based on what we know about Gypsy and her role as a "collector," this woman will most likely be a doppelgänger from Earth-19 who hopped out of her universe and into another. All we can do with such a small amount of information is blindly speculate.
- In one photo (left) she appears to be standing in front of a wall with lines to designate a person's height, commonly used in the processing of detained criminals.
- The other photo (right) appears to possibly be the presumed villain in a cell of some kind but that's honestly just a shot in the dark.
- She is wearing a black leather suit that is highly reminiscent of Gypsy's outfit. This might actually be a uniform. Perhaps this criminal is a collector turned evil?
- We know that Gypsy (rather than go after this woman herself) sent a speedster to do it. Is it possible that this is because this woman didn't go to a where, but to a when? Speedsters after all are best known for their ability to time travel (as Barry likes to show us waaay too damned often).
For now it's all up in the air, but we'll no doubt be finding out more about her as this third season progresses forward. Until then we'll just have to wait and find out. In the mean time, here's one Moviepilot writer's theory on how the Accelerated Man factors in:
- 'The Flash': How Earth-19 Speedster The Accelerated Man's Cameo Might Reveal How Barry Will Defeat Savitar
What do YOU guys think? Who is this mystery multiverse outlaw? How does The Accelerated Man of Earth-19 factor into this season's ultimate conclusion? Comment below and let us know.
Check out the promo for the upcoming episode of The Flash below:
Thanks for reading. If you enjoyed this article please share.