One of the most terrifying movie monsters of all time will return to the big screen when The Predator hits theaters in 2018. After eight long years, the iconic hunter known the world over as the #Predator is back to hunt a whole new troupe of challengers. The film is helmed by Shane Black — who appeared in the 1987 original — and has been branded an "event film". With that in mind, it's understandable to see why many of us are excited about the franchise's return to prominence.
If you too are a fan of the legendary franchise and just can't wait to find out more about the upcoming film, you've come to the right place as we are here to provide you with all the latest news, rumors and theories about the film ahead of its 2018 release.
'The Predator' Movie News & Rumors
– Edward James Olmos Joins The Cast
Veteran actor Edward James Olmos has joined the cast of The Predator. Like much of the male cast, he will be portraying a military man.
– Jake Busey Joins The Predator
Just when we thought the casting process on The Predator had been completed, it's been announced that Jake Busey has joined the cast. Of course, Predator fans will know that Busey's father Gary had a key role in Predator 2. Nice to see the new film paying tribute to the underappreciated sequel in this really great way.
– First Look At Alfie Allen, Thomas Jane & Augusto Aguilera On Set
Shane Black has teased us with the first on-set image of The Predator, in which we see cast members Alfie Allen, Augusto Aguilera and Thomas Jane on a bus together. Black posted the photo on Twitter, accompanied by the caption:
"Stone killers with serious acting chops — but which of them will be chopped… by THE PREDATOR? (See what I did there?"
Will any of these characters be the Predator's first kill, or the last man standing?
– Augusto Aguilera Lands The Final Main Role In The Predator
Deadline reports that Augusto Aguilera has landed the final main role in The Predator. Not much else is known about his role other than the fact that he is also part of the alien-hunter team alongside the vast majority of the main cast.
– Yvonne Strahovski Is The Latest Star To Join The Predator
Merely two days into shooting, it has been announced that Chuck star Yvonne Strahovski is in final negotiations to star in The Predator. The news also sheds a little more light on the some of the film's characters as we now know she will portray the mother of Jacob Tremblay's character and ex-wife of Boyd Holbrook's character. The troubled young boy will be accidentally drawn into the conflict with the fierce alien creatures by his father — Holbrook.
– Alfie Allen Joins The Cast Of The Predator
Alfie Allen is set to join the expanding cast of The Predator and will be portraying an ex-marine who teams with the rest of the outsiders in order to take the creature down. Allen is perhaps best known for his role as Theon Greyjoy on HBO's Game Of Thrones.
– The Predator Begins Filming, First Cast Image Revealed
Filming of The Predator officially commenced today in Vancouver, and Shane Black marked the occasion by posting the first image of the cast together. The photo shows Black posing with Sterling K. Brown, Trevante Rhodes, Boyd Holbrook, Olivia Munn, Keegan-Michael Key, and Jacob Tremblay. Now that production is officially under way, the highly-anticipated Predator sequel suddenly seems very real. The hunt has begun!
– The Predator Likely To Be Rated R
In today's day and age, it's hard for #horror reboots to fully channel the same graphic nature of their original, due to the lack of the R rating. However, it seems that The Predator will not be falling victim to this, as director Shane Black tweeted the following from his official twitter account:
I don't think there needs to be much guess work involved as to which of his upcoming film involves spines bleeding. Thus, it seems like The Predator truly will be rated R — and for fans of the franchise, that is most definitely a good thing.
– The Predator To Begin Filming This Month:
According to ComicBook.com, The Predator is scheduled to begin shooting on February 20, 2017. While this date gives the crew less than a year to complete the film before its release, that should be plenty of time for production — and post production — to take place. It also suggests that all of the major casting is done, and that most, if not all, of the pieces of the puzzle have fallen into place.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger Might Return As "Dutch":
Ever since news of The Predator broke, fans have been wondering if Arnold Schwarzenegger will reprise his iconic role as Major "Dutch" Schaefer from 1987's Predator. According to some reports, Black has met with Schwarzenegger to discuss a potential role in the film, so that's definitely promising. Dutch's involvement in the project would definitely tie the events of Predator to The Predator. Make it happen, Mr. Black. We want Arnie!
– The Predator Will Be An Event Film:
When a new Alien film is announced, people freak out with joy. The Alien franchise has become synonymous with event films, and Shane Black promises that The Predator will also have that feel to it. He told IGN that he was going to "re-infuse it with a sense of mystery." Co-writer Fred Dekker got us excited when, talking on the Movie Crypt Podcast, he again compared the franchise to that of Alien:
“If you think of the first 'Predator' as 'Alien,' ours is much more 'Aliens.' It’s not ... 'Let’s kill off all of our characters,' because we have a lot of characters, from a lot of different worlds and ideologies. I don’t mean other planets. It’s a lot of people doing a lot of things in a lot of locations.”
– Shane Black Is Directing The Predator:
Remember Hawkins from Predator? You do? Awesome! Well Shane Black — who portrayed that character — is also a renowned writer and director. He is known for such films as Lethal Weapon, Last Action Hero, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys. He will also be directing the upcoming Doc Savage, starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, but not before he returns to the Predator franchise to direct and co-write The Predator. Black is excited at the prospect of reinventing the franchise and fans are thrilled to have him steering the ship.
'The Predator' Release Date
The Predator is scheduled to be released in the U.S. on February 9, 2018. Currently, it's also due to be released throughout Europe towards the end of February, with its U.K. release date being March 2, 2018. As the film's release date has changed before, this could always change again.
What Is The Plot Of 'The Predator'?
Not much is known about the plot of The Predator at this time. However it is worth noting that although the film will act as a reboot to the franchise, it is definitely a sequel. Many originally suspected that it wouldn't be connected to the previous films, but Black later confirmed in an interview with Collider that it won't be a complete reboot and will acknowledge the events of Predator and Predator 2.
"Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?”
There was also a lot of debate surrounding the possible setting of the film, with reports initially suggesting that it would be set in a suburban area. However, Black revealed that this was untrue and the location of the film still remains a mystery.
Cast Of 'The Predator'
While we don't yet know anything about the film's characters, The Predator has added quite a strong lineup to actors. Get to know them a little better here.
- Olivia Munn: The American actress & model has previously appeared in #TV series The Newsroom and starred as Psylocke in X-Men: Apocalypse. According to reports, she will portray a scientist in The Predator.
- Boyd Holbrook: Holbrook replaced Benedict Del Toro who was in talks to star in the project but had to drop out due to scheduling issues. He is best known for his roles in Gone Girl and Netflix's smash-hit Narcos.
- Sterling K. Brown: Sterling K. Brown has joined the cast and will be portraying a military man. The actor has appeared in the likes of Army Wives, This Is Us and his recent role on The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story earned him an Emmy Award.
- Keegan-Michael Key: Key is well-known for starring in comedy series Key & Peele, MADtv and Playing House. He will be teaming up with Holbrook and Rhodes to take on the Predator.
- Trevante Rhodes: One of the more recent additions to the film, Rhodes is a former track and field sprinter and received critical acclaim for his performance in 2016 film Moonlight. He also recently appeared on HBO's Westworld.
- Jacob Tremblay: The Canadian child actor is the latest addition to join the project. Tremblay received critical acclaim for his breakout performance in 2015's Room, for which he won Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Young Performer.
- Alfie Allen: Allen was cast in the film one day after filming in Vancouver began. He is no stranger to big time roles and is well-known for his performance in Game Of Thrones as Theon Greyjoy.
- Yvonne Strahovski: Two days into filming, it was announced that the Australian actress is currently in final negotiations to join the film. She is best-known for her roles in Chuck, Dexter and 24: Live Another Day.
- Augusto Aguilera: Aguilera landed the final main role in the film and will also be part of the alien-hunter team. He has appeared in TV series Chasing Life and had roles in Hulu pilot Citizen and FX pilot Snowfall.
- Jake Busey: Another recent addition to the film, Busey is best known for his roles in the TV series of From Dusk Till Dawn, Starship Troopers, The Frighteners and Identity.
- Edward James Olmos: Olmos is a veteran actor known for his roles in Blade Runner, Miami Vice and the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica. He recently appeared in Marvel's Angents Of SHIELD and just wrapped shooting Blade Runner 2049. He will also appear in the pilot of Mayans MC — the Sons Of Anarchy Spin-off series.
- Kyle Strauts as The Predator: Playing the most important role in the film, Kyle Strauts will star as the titular alien himself. Known for his height, Strauts recently appeared as the titular character in The Midnight Man and also worked on the stunt team in The Cabin In The Woods.
'The Predator' Characters
- Quinn McKenna: A former Marine and Special Forces commando who discovers the existence of the fierce Predators but finds that no one believes they exist.
- Casey Bracket: A scientist.
- Nebraska Williams: A former Marine who enlists in a special Predator-hunting operation headed by his good friend Quinn.
Most of the film's details have been kept under wraps, including its list of characters.
Where To Watch 'The Predator' Online
As The Predator hasn't even begun filming yet, there's no real point in wondering where we can watch it. However, as it's expected to be released to cinemas in February next year, we should expect a DVD, Blu-Ray and Digital release sometime during the Summer of 2018.
Set your calendars: The Predator returns on February 9, 2018! It's coming!
Which 'Predator' film is your favorite?
[Source: Collider, Movie Crypt Podcast, Empire, IGN, Popcorn Talk, Hollywood Reporter, ComicBook.com, Shane Black's official Twitter, The Hollywood Reporter, The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, ScreenRant, The Hollywood Reporter]