We have a hip young 76-year old Pope. He wants the ultraconservatives to back off being 'obsessed' with hating on gay marriage, abortion and contraception.
Here are five lovely things that Pope Francis has said, as appreciated by someone who KNOWS what it's like to suffer dissent from your unhelpful co-workers...Liz Lemon.
5) 'God is in everyone’s life. Even if the life of a person has been a disaster, even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else—God is in this person’s life'.
4) 'Let us think of when slavery was accepted or the death penalty was allowed without any problem. So we grow in the understanding of the truth. The view of the church’s teaching as a monolith to defend without nuance or different understandings is wrong'.
3) 'Who am I to judge [homosexuals]? When God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person? We must always consider the person'.
2) 'What I hear about the role of women is often inspired by an ideology of machismo...The feminine genius is needed wherever we make important decisions'.
1) 'This church with which we should be thinking is the home of all, not a small chapel that can hold only a small group of selected people. We must not reduce the bosom of the universal church to a nest protecting our mediocrity'.
Pope Francis ain't perfect, though. His favorite movie is Fellini’s La Strada.
Quotations taken from The New York Times.