After an incredible eight year run, The Vampire Diaries is set to bow out in a matter of weeks. With beloved cast members returning and the Season 8 storyline coming to a head, you can bet that we will be reaching for our hankies as we prepare to bid the show farewell. After all, few shows can bite us in the feels like The Vampire Diaries. But when doing so, the creative team often reach out to the music world for a little help.
No show moves us with their song selection like The Vampire Diaries does! So as we get ready to say our final goodbyes to this iconic #TV series, let's delve into the history books and take a look back at the show's greatest musical moments.
Elena Invites Stefan In
- Episode: "Pilot" (Season 1, Episode 1)
- Song: "Never Say Never" by The Fray
- Why It's Amazing: This moment should open every "Greatest Vampire Diaries" lists. It made us fall in love with the series and officially marked the beginning of the incredible story of Stefan and Elena.
Damon Volunteers To Take Jeremy's Memories Away
- Episode: "Haunted" (Season 1, Episode 7)
- Song: "The Weight of Us" by Sanders Bohlke
- Why It's Amazing: Elena had just found out about Stefan being a vampire when Damon turned Vicki into one. When Vicki tried to kill Jeremy, she ended up dead and he was broken-hearted. In one of the show's first real tearjerking moments, a teary Elena asked Stefan to compel her brother to forget the horrible memories. But Damon volunteered to do it. Not only did this scene highlight Elena's growth as a character and the strength of "Stelena" but it was one of the first times we saw Damon do something kind for Elena — a theme that would become more prominent as the series went on.
Bonnie's Grams Passes Away
- Episode: "Fool Me Once" (Season 1, Episode 14)
- Song: "Run" by Leona Lewis
- Why It's Amazing: Except for Damon Salvatore, I don't think you could find a single person who didn't like Sheila Bennett. Bonnie's Grams was one of the show's favorite characters, and thus, her sudden death came as a shocking blow. But the sheer power of this moment should not be understated, as Bonnie collapses into Elena's arms, Leona Lewis' epic cover bellows in the background. The song made this truly heartbreaking moment even more unbearable.
Damon & Elena's First Dance
- Episode: "Miss Mystic Falls" (Season 1, Episode 19)
- Song: "All I Need" by Within Temptation
- Why It's Amazing: Despite Elena's overwhelming love for Stefan, not even she could shake the chemistry she had with Damon here. With their bodies mere inches away from each other, the passionate dance and the intense song, this was the first — and possibly best — "Delena" moment.
Stefan Drinks Elena's Blood
- Episode: "Kill Or Be Killed" (Season 2, Episode 5)
- Song: "I Need To Know" by Kris Allen
- Why Its' Amazing: "It's you and me Stefan, always." Need I say more?
Elena, Bonnie & Stefan Comfort Caroline While Damon Whets His Appetite
- Episode: "Daddy Issues".
- Song: "Losing Your Memory" by Ryan Star
- Why It's Amazing: By Season 2, we had all fallen in love with vampire Caroline, so to see any harm come to her broke our hearts. But Stefan proved what an amazing friend he could be by orchestrating a sleepover for her with her best friends Elena and Bonnie. Meanwhile, Damon was losing himself, in the bath, with Andy. The song added a great deal to both emotional moments.
If you're a fan of The Vampire Diaries, check these out:
- Farewell Mystic Falls: Season 8 Of The Vampire Diaries Will Be Its Last
- The Originals Season 4 Premiere Date Confirmed, But What Does It Mean For The Show's Future?
- Nina Dobrev and Nikki Reed Finally Put An End To Rivalry Rumors With Powerful Instagram Posts
A Hopeless Stefan Calls Elena
- Episode: "The Birthday" (Season 3, Episode 1)
- Song: "A Drop In The Ocean" by Ron Pope
- Why It's Amazing: Stefan had lost all hope of ever seeing Elena again. Elena had lost all hope of seeing Stefan again. The thought of them reuniting was like "wishing for rain as I stand in the desert." Perfect lyrics for a perfect scene.
The Gang Pay Tribute To Alaric
- Episode: "Do Not Go Gentle" (Season 3, Episode 20)
- Song: "Be Still" by The Fray
- Why It's Amazing: Alaric was a mainstay on the show for the first three seasons. When he agreed to let himself die, we were all crushed. And so were our favorite #vampire gang, who movingly paid tribute to him, waiting outside the crypt surrounded by candles. If that didn't move you to tears, the Fray definitely did as their solemn but beautiful "Be Still" quietly serenaded the history teacher as well.
Elena Becomes A Vampire
- Episode: "The Departed" (Season 3, Episode 22)
- Song: "Dauðalogn" by Sigur Ros
- Why It's Amazing: Beautifully haunting is the only way I can think of to describe this scene, and that's exactly what this amazing Sigur Ros song is. The slow but powerful lyrics narrated Elena's final few moments as a human, and the pitch got higher as the story escalated, ultimately revealing that she had become a vampire. The show would never be the same again, but what an amazing way to end its original era. Quite possibly the show's best music moment ever, this was nothing short of art.
Stefan & Vampire Elena Wait For The Morning
- Episode: "Growing Pains" (Season 4, Episode 1)
- Song: "Wait For The Morning" by Amy Stroup
- Why It's Amazing: One of the final perfect "Stelena" moments saw the newly turned vampire Elena and Stefan sitting on the roof together, promising eternity to each other. The song was perfect as it provided us with so much hope for the future after the dark present. Oh, and they were literally waiting for the morning!
Caroline & Tyler Part Ways For Their Safety
- Episode: "Down The Rabbit Hole" (Season 4, Episode 14)
- Song: "It's Been A Long Year" by Rosi Golan
- Why It's Amazing: Tyler Lockwood may have been brutish and arrogant at times, but this scene really highlights how much he did love Caroline. Having no choice but to flee from Klaus, he kisses her goodbye. Throw in an incredible performance from Candice King and Rosi Golan's beautiful lyrics and you have a perfect scene. Caroline may have been right when she said there isn't a right way to say goodbye, but this scene comes pretty damn close.
Elena Confirms Her Feelings For Damon
- Episode: "Graduation" (Season 4, Episode 23)
- Song: "Belong" by Cary Brothers
- Why It's Amazing: Everyone was waiting to see how Elena felt about Damon, and her powerful monologue shut him up in a big way as Cary Brothers belted loudly and proudly in the background. Powerful, passionate, intense and amazing — that's everything this scene was. Oh, and the song was great too. Easily one of the show's most epic and moving moments.
Elena Tries To Jog Stefan's Memory
- Episode: "Memorial" (Season 5, Episode 4)
- Song: "Longest Night" by Howie Day
- Why It's Amazing: When Stefan found himself suffering from amnesia, Elena hoped to jog his memory by revisiting old territory, and we were brought along for the ride as the show played two songs synonymous with the former couple's best moments. Hearing "Longest Night" reminded us of some of their incredible moments, and highlighted that whether they're together or not, Stelena will always be alive and well.
Elena Joins Damon In His Last Stand Against The Travelers
- Episode: "Home" (Season 5, Episode 22)
- Song: "Finished Symphony" by Glasvegas
- Why It's Amazing: Damon was set to cross the anti-magic border on his own and kill the mystical Travelers, but Elena insisted coming along for the ride. Despite his arguing, she remains by his side, insisting that she knows what she signed up for. The epic song plays triumphantly in the background as Damon looks at Elena — both in confusion and in awe — and he knows in that moment — she's a keeper. If that's not love, I don't know what is!
The Other Side Collapses
- Episode: "Home" (Season 5, Episode 22)
- Song: "Wings"
- Why It's Amazing: I think I could include the whole soundtrack of this episode on this list, and the reason for that is that each song is so powerful and compliments everything that is going on in the moment. And here, as the Other Side collapses, Birdy's powerful "Wings" adds even more awe to the jaw-dropping moment.
Resurrected Damon Reunites With Elena
- Episode: "The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get". (Season 6, Episode 6)
- Song: "Unbreakable" by Jamie Scott
- Why It's Amazing: Damon was dead, Elena had her love for him compelled away out of grief. Damon returned and spent the whole episode trying to see the woman he came back to life for. Finally, he made his way to her dorm room as this song played in the background, perfectly narrating every step of this amazing moment.
Elena & Damon Say Goodbye With One Last Dance
- Episode: "I'm Thinking Of You All The While" (Season 6, Episode 22)
- Song: "Hunger" by Ross Copperman
- Why It's Amazing: Elena Gilbert's final moments on the show saw her saying goodbye to everyone she ever loved, leaving the Salvatore boys for last. After a touching farewell with her first love Stefan, she tearfully shared one final epic dance with Damon. A truly beautiful goodbye to the show's most incredible character. Perhaps the only thing more amazing will be her return in a matter of days.
Now, as we prepare to say a final goodbye to The Vampire Diaries, you can rest assured that the show still has a few incredible musical moments left to give. The #youngadult series has moved us and amazed us with its music choices over the years, and it will undoubtedly do the same one more time when the Season 8 finale airs on March, 10. The Vampire Diaries may leave the CW's schedule in a few weeks, but it always have a place in our hearts.
What was your favorite music moment from The Vampire Diaries? Let us know in the comments!