As we enter the homestretch of #TheWalkingDeadSeason7, we also enter the period that the show has had at the end of every season before—The Theory Zone.
I like that. I think I'll keep that.
Who's going to die? Who's going to live? Who's going to lose a body part? The Walking Dead is known for both its predictability and its tendency to go off-comic. The Season 6 finale damn near reenacted Glenn's death scene from the comics panel for panel, but #RobertKirkman decided to toss in a red-headed surprise, as well.
But there may have been a way to predict who would die and who would survive on #TheWalkingDead all along, and it's been right under our noses. What is it?
Follow The Gift-Giving
It seems that almost every time a gift is given on The Walking Dead, either the giver or the receiver dies. Or sometimes, they both meet a gruesome end. It can be a physical gift, like a pocket watch, or an intangible one, like knowledge. Whatever it may be, if you see your favorite character giving or getting a gift, scream as loud as you want at your TV, but it doesn't matter; their days are probably numbered.
Don't believe me? Let's take a look back at some of the gifts that, while well-intentioned, may have foretold some pretty major deaths within the same season. Or, the death might have been caused by the gift itself.
1. Denise's orange soda
Back in Season 6, Denise really wanted to get her girlfriend Tara some orange pop. She found some, but...
- Denise – dead; arrow to the eye, shot by Dwight in the same season
- Tara – still alive...so far
2. Andrea's mermaid necklace
In Season 1, Andrea gave her sister Amy a mermaid necklace moments after she died of her walker bite, but before she turned into a walker herself.
- Amy – dead; died after a walker attack on their camp in Season 1
- Andrea – dead; bitten by a zombified Milton in Season 3, committed suicide shortly after
3. Reg's knowledge
Reg had just taken Noah under his wing back in Season 5, and was going to show him the ins and outs of how Alexandria ran like it did.
- Reg – dead; his throat was accidentally cut by Pete with Michonne's sword in Season 5
- Noah – dead; torn apart by walkers in front of Glenn, Season 5
4. Shane's baby
Much to Rick's dismay, Shane gave Lori the gift of Judith back in Season 1, something we the viewers were never quite sure of until Rick spilled the Bisquick in Season 7.
- Shane – dead; attacked Rick in Season 2, and nobody survives that
- Lori – dead; died during her emergency c-section in the prison, Season 3
5. The Governor teaches Meghan chess
Just as we thought the Governor might be turning over a new leaf, he flips his lid after losing Meghan, the child of his girlfriend, Lilly Chambler, in Season 4.
- The Governor – dead; Rick beat him up, Michonne stabbed him through the chest, and Lilly Chambler shot him in the head...THEN he died at the end of Season 4. Finally.
- Meghan – dead; in the same season, she saw the sign, and picked it up...she wasn't aware a walker was buried under it
6. Glenn gives Nicholas another chance
This is one that had us screaming, “Kill the idiot!” all through Season 6. Glenn gave Nicholas plenty of chances at living a decent life, but in the end, Nicholas went dumpster diving and damn near took Glenn with him.
- Nicholas – dead; walkers trap him and Glenn on a dumpster, and Nicholas decided that the best way out is to take his own life
- Glenn – dead; it happens much later, but the gift receiver is long gone when it happens
7. Bob's leg
Sorry, couldn't resist this one. The Terminus cannibals decided to chow down on Bob's leg back in Season 5, not knowing he had been bitten. Lucky for them, they wouldn't survive long enough to know if they had been infected by the tainted meat.
- Bob – dead; bitten by a walker and put down by Tyreese before reanimation in Season 5
- Termites – pretty much all of them are dead, getting the beat-down in the church in Season 5
8. Beth's gift of freedom to Noah
During the prisoner exchange with Dawn and her hospital staff, Beth realizes...well, I'm still not completely sure what she realizes. It has something to do with Noah getting to survive. But, either way, it got her killed in the mid-season finale of Season 5.
- Beth – dead; shot in the head by Dawn in Season 5
- Noah – dead; Season 5
9. Daryl and the Cherokee Rose
Back in Season 2, Daryl gave Carol that Cherokee Rose while they were all looking for her daughter Sophia. Little Sophia never got a gift, but she didn't make it through Season 2.
- Daryl & Carol – still alive (and still no riots)
- Sophia – dead; bitten by a walker after getting lost in the woods, and put down by Rick halfway through Season 2
10. Hershel's pocket watch
Hershel gave Glenn his heirloom pocket watch in Season 2, after he had decided Glenn was worthy of his daughter, Maggie.
- Hershel – dead; decapitated by the Governor in Season 4
- Glenn – dead; beaten to death by Negan & Lucille in Season 7
Not Dead Yet...But Can We Predict That They Will?
Here are all the characters who are in danger, simply because they were nice and gave someone a gift, or were lucky enough to receive one. In some cases, either the giver or the receiver is already dead.
1. Glenn's pocket watch
Maggie gave Glenn's watch to Enid in Season 7, but they're both still alive...so far.
2. Sasha's bracelet
Sasha gave Enid a bracelet in Season 7's “The Other Side” and told her to give it to baby Judith. They're all three still alive as of the latest episode.
3. Rosita's second chance
Sasha gave Rosita another chance by locking her out of the Saviors' compound, again in “The Other Side,” while Sasha completed their suicide mission herself. They're both still alive...for now. Though let's be honest, it looks like Sasha's days are numbered for more reasons than one.
4. Carol's cookies
Sam may have been turned into zombie food back in Season 6, but Carol is still kickin'. At least Sam got to enjoy a couple of Carol's famous beet-infused cookies.
5. Spencer's liquor
Earlier in Season 7, Spencer decided he wanted to be in charge of Alexandria, but Negan wasn't having anything to do with it. Negan is still alive, and looks to stay that way for a while, but Spencer? Not so much. He was gutted by Negan in front of most of the town.
6. Rick's sheriff hat
Carl laid claim to this thing all the way back in Season 1, and so far so good with them both being alive. Carl's face has seen its better days, but still. Silver linings, people.
7. Rosita, Abe, Sasha and the necklace
Rosita gave Abraham a necklace as a gift when they were together, and somehow Sasha ended up with it. That made for quite the awkward moment when Rosita saw Sasha was wearing it during their suicide mission. Abraham is dead and gone, but his ladies are still kicking. But again, it looks like that might change for Sasha, however; she was involved in three—count 'em, three—gift exchanges. Not looking good for her. Not good at all.
Maybe there is something to this theory, after all.
Read on for more TWD theories!
- Does The Latest 'Star Trek: Discovery' Casting Hint This Beloved Character On 'The Walking Dead' Will Be Killed Off?
- This Walking Dead Easter Egg Has Been Going on for Five Seasons but I Never Noticed!
- Did 'The Walking Dead' Already Tell Us Everyone Who Dies In Season 7 — And We All Missed It?
What do you think of The Gift of Death Theory? Did I miss any famous gifts gone bad? Let me know in the comments!