When you hear about a wrestler starring in a movie, what's the first thing that comes to mind? The answer to that really depends on what decade you were born in.
In the '80s, we had Hulk Hogan. He fought Rocky Balboa for charity in Rocky III, and fought Zeus in No Holds Barred. In the '90s, Jesse Ventura fought aliens in Predator, appeared in Demolition Man alongside Sly Stallone, and even had a small cameo in Batman & Robin (small enough to not get on the list, but big enough to get a shout-out).
The year 2001 and beyond brought us none other than The Rock himself, who has gone from the king of the ring to the king of the action movie. #DwayneJohnson has been a household name since 2001 when he became The Scorpion King in The Mummy franchise, and he'll soon be coming to a theater near you as the villainous Black Adam, in Shazam! and a Black Adam origin movie.
It's 2017, and thanks to the Fast & Furious franchise and his upcoming supervillain stint, we're still in the Dwayne Johnson era. The only competition for the crown is Dave Bautista, whose Drax in #GuardiansoftheGalaxy propelled him into some major stardom. But who paved the road before them? What wrestlers starred in some of our favorite superhero movies that we might not remember?
7. Triple H
- Real name: Paul Levesque
- Starred in: Blade Trinity (2004) as Jake Grimwood
- Fun fact: Also voiced Hulk in the animated The Marvel Experience in 2014
Check out some behind-the-scenes shots with Triple H:
6. Macho Man Randy Savage
- Real name: Randy Mario Poffo
- Starred in: Spider-Man (2002) as Bone Saw McGraw (no relation to Quick Draw)
- Not so fun fact: Passed away in 2011 from atherosclerosis, even though it seemed he was completely unaware of any heart problems.
Let's revisit that cage match butt-kicking Spider-Man almost got:
- Real name: Glenn Jacobs
- Starred in: Smallville (2007) as Titan
- Fun fact: In the wrestling world, he was the scarred and demonic half-brother of The Undertaker, which fit perfectly with his role in See No Evil, a psychotic killer who likes eyeballs a little too much.
There's something about cage matches that make them seem so...not something I would want to do:
4. Dave Bautista
- Real name: Wait for it...David Michael Bautista, Jr.
- Has starred in: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) & Smallville (2006) as Drax & Aldar and will star in #GuardiansoftheGalaxyVol2 (2017) & Avengers: Infinity War (2018) as Drax
- Fun fact: Doubt his potential to overturn The Rock as the world's most famous wrestler-turned-actor? On top of GotG and #AvengersInfinityWar, Bautista will star in #Bladerunner2049 later this year. He also appeared in The Man with the Iron Fists in 2012 with Lucy Liu and Russell Crowe, and alongside James Bond himself in Spectre and with Robert DeNiro in Heist in 2015. And let's not forget he was in Kickboxer: Vengeance with Jean-Claude Van Damme. No...wait, let's do forget that.
Check out this sweet Drax-ion (...sorry):
All you need to know about some major upcoming DC & Marvel movies:
- Your Big Guide To DC's 'Justice League': News, Rumors, Spoilers, Trailers & All You Need To Know
- Your Big 'Thor: Ragnarok' Guide: News, Rumors, Trailers, Spoilers & All You Need To Know
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming': News, Rumors, Release Date, Trailers & Everything You Need To Know
3. Jeep Swenson/The Ultimate Solution
- Real name: Robert Alexander Swenson, Jr.
- Starred in: Batman & Robin (1997) as Bane
- Not so fun fact: His film career in the late '80s and throughout the '90s was short, but impressive, having appeared in an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger, and the movies Bulletproof and No Holds Barred, with Adam Sandler and fellow wrestler Hulk Hogan, respectively. The reason his film career was so short was that sadly, he passed away in 1997 of heart failure.
Check out the moment Jeep became Bane...come on, don't be that way. John Glover's mad scientist should make it at least somewhat enjoyable.
2. Tyler Mane
- Real name: Daryl Karolat
- Starred in: X-Men (2000) as Sabretooth
- Fun fact: This monster of a man was also the guy behind the mask in Rob Zombie's 2007 remake of Halloween, playing the adult Michael Myers
You want to see Sabretooth lounging, drinking wine, worrying about water conservation and issuing an Ice Bucket Challenge? Done!
1. Kevin Nash
- Real name: Kevin Scott Nash
- Starred in: The Punisher (2004) as The Russian
- Fun fact: He was The Russian, a massive killer-for-hire in The Punisher, and then male stripper Tarzan in Magic Mike and Magic Mike XXL. This guy has some serious performing range!
Who doesn't like to see Frank Castle kick some Russian ass?
I'm pretty sure I covered all the major wrestler/superhero movie actors, but if I missed one, let me know in the comments!