Over the years, we've had plenty of Superhero movies. With each movie comes one or more villain, some of them good, some of them bad, and then there's Mr. Freeze in a category all his own. But today I'm going to lay down my list of the top 10 movie portrayals of a supervillain
10. Scarecrow (Cillian Murphy)
Scarecrow in Batman Begins was an excellent portrayal of the character, and perfect for the overall theme of the film. The movie focuses on Bruce Wayne mastering his fear and turning it against his enemeis in the form of Batman, so what better villain the Scarecrow, who uses fear against his enemies? Cillian masters the role, capturing both the sophisticated and insane sides of the character.
9. Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon)
Kevin Bacon appears as Sebastion Shaw in X-Men: First Class. The character was a brilliant villain, using manipulation and trickery to obtain his goal of a mutant war on humanity. Not only that, but he creates one of the X-Men's most notorious villains, Magneto. Kevin Bacon did an excellent job in the role, capturing his manipulating spirit that rivals the likes of Loki.
8. Doctor Octopus (Alfred Molina)
In a movie trilogy filled with villains, one of them managed to stand out against the rest. His name was Doctor Octopus. Doctor Octopus was brilliantly played as a scientist driven mad by his own creation. His claw-arms control him, until he finally learns to master them just in time to save the city. Molina couldn't have captured the role any better
7. Ra's Al Ghul (Liam Neeson)Ra's Al Ghul portrayed by Liam Neeson appears as the primary villain in Batman Begins. He trains Bruce Wayne to become the hero we know and love, and then sends him to destroy Gotham. When Wayne refuses, Ra's is forced to defeat him and destroy Gotham himself. This version of the character was very different from any other before, as it completely removed the supernatural side to the character, instead placing the focus on the character's goals and traits, and Liam does an excellent job of showing them to us.
6. General Zod (Micheal Shannon)General Zod appears as the primary antagonist in the latest Superman movie, Man of Steel. In this, he is a warrior bred for the sole purpose of protecting Krypton, no matter the cost. When his home planet is destroyed, Zod sets out to create a new Krypton, but first he needs the Codex hidden in Superman's head, and Superman stands in between him and New Krypton on Earth. Micheal Shannon was perfect for the part. He was able to create the militaristic yet mad character that Zod is so perfectly.
5. Red Skull (Hugo Weaving)Red Skull faces Captain America in the recent Summer Blockbuster Captain America: The First Avenger. Red Skull was the first attempt at the Super-soldier formula, however the process went horribly wrong, scarring him. Believing he is Superior, Red Skull plans to bomb several major cities in the world so that Hydra can take over. The only thing in his way is the perfected Super-soldier, Captain America. Hugo Weaving delivers an evil, menacing villain, and does so brilliantly as always
4. Magneto (Ian McKellen)Magneto stars as the antagonist of the X-Men trilogy played by Ian McKellen. Magneto is a mutant with powers over metal who believes Mutants are the superior species. Having survived the Holocaust, he fears humanity will do the same to mutants, so he takes the fight to them. Ian McKellen's portrayal of the character has become one of the most iconic villain portrayal's in comic book movie history.
3.Two-Face (Aaron Eckhart)Aaron Eckhart portrays the most tragic of Batman's enemies in the movie The Dark Knight. Harvey Dent was a District Attorney fighting for justice, however, when the Joker tears his life to pieces and burns half of his face, Two-Face seeks revenge on those who allowed the Joker to do what he did. Harvey Dent brings something new to the role, showing us the tragedy and emotion behind the character. The only thing keeping him from being #2 was the lack of screen time the villain had (yes, I know Harvey had a lot of screen time, but the villain side of him received very little)
2. Loki (Tom Hiddleston)The God of Mischief appears as the enemy and brother of Thor in Thor and The Avengers. He manages to take control of Asgard and destroy half of New York while hardly lifting a finger. Manipulating others, even heroes, into doing his will, this villain does the most with very little effort. Tom Hiddleston is Loki. There can be no other.
1. The Joker (Heath Ledger)The Joker appears as the primary antagonist in The Dark Knight, and he manages to send the city into complete chaos with a few bullets and some drums of gasoline. He manages to push Batman beyond his limits, send the best man in the city, Harvey Dent, on a killing spree, and keep the city in a state of constant panic, even turning the city against their hero. He truly is the perfect villain, and Heath Ledger takes us deeper into the insanity of the Joker's mind than we've ever been. There was truly no other villain that could have taken this spot.
What do you think of my list? Who would you have chosen? Let me know in the comments!