Since today's Article is a Milestone for me, being my 50th story to date, I decided to do something that I haven't done up to this point. I came up with six potential stories last night and after sleeping on it decided that this was the article to commemorate such an important milestone. I found Morgan Freeman's 10 movies with the highest star ratings on IMDb and I am going to share them here along with the year they came out, the star rating for each, and a brief plotline for each film. Let's begin:
1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - This tells about a young and successful banker (Tim Robbins) whose life changes drastically when he is convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his wife and her lover. Set in the 1940's, the film shows how Robbins, with the help of his friend, Red (Morgan Freeman) turns out to be a most unconventional prisoner. It has the HIGHEST English-language Movie rating of ANY GENRE on IMDb with 9.3/10 stars.
2. The Dark Knight (2008) - In the Christian Bale Batman Trilogy Morgan Freeman plays Lucius Fox, Whom in this film, with the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent help Batman try and dismantle the remaining criminal organizations that plague the city streets after the events in Batman Begins. The partnership proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a reign of chaos unleashed by a rising criminal mastermind known to the terrified citizens of Gotham as The Joker. It has 9.0/10 stars.
3. Se7en (1995) - This is a film about two homicide detectives' desperate hunt for a serial killer who justifies his crimes as absolution for the world's ignorance of the Seven Deadly Sins in the Bible. As the movie unfolds it takes us from the tortured remains of one victim to the next as the sociopathic "John Doe" sermonizes to Morgan Freeman's Detective Sommerset and Brad Pitt's Detective Mills -- one sin at a time. It received 8.7/10 stars.
4. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - Lucius Fox again helps Batman despite his tarnished reputation after the events in The Dark Knight, in which he took the blame for Two-Face's crimes. Batman still feels compelled to intervene to assist the city and its police force which is struggling to cope with Bane's plans to destroy the city, even though the city turned it's back on him. It has a 8.6/10 star rating.
5. Batman Begins (2005) - When his parents are killed, millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne travels the world, learning different fighting styles. He eventually ends up in Asia where he is mentored by Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. When their home is attacked and Ra's almost dies, Bruce decides to go back home to Gotham. Back in his original surroundings, Bruce adopts the image of a bat and creates many Hi-Tech Gadgets with the help of Morgan Freeman's Character, Lucius Fox, in order to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt of Gotham as the Crimefighter known as 'Batman'. This film scored 8.3/10 stars.
6. Unforgiven (1992) - In this Clint Eastwood Western, Clint stars as Bill Munny and Morgan Freeman plays the part of Ned Logan. He was Munny's partner back when they were both Gunslinger's, but that was many years ago. Now, Munny has asked him to help bring in one more Bounty. It seems a bunch of Cowboy's decided to cut up one of the call girl's in the town of Big Whiskey and the other girl's aren't too happy about it. So, Munny and Logan set out to collect the bounty before their opponent, 'The Schofield Kid' , can beat them to it. This film ranked 8.3/10 stars as well, but with fewer overall votes it comes in second to Batman Begins.
7. Million Dollar Baby (2004) - In this movie, Morgan Freeman plays Eddie 'Scrap-Iron' Dupris. Eddie is the manager of a gym owned by his friend, Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood), who used to train Professional Boxers in his younger days. Dunn hasn't trained anyone in a long time due in part to his estrangement with his daughter. They haven't spoken in 25 years, during which time Dunn has been seeking an elusive forgiveness. However, once Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) walks into the gym, things begin to change. This Film received 8.1/10 stars.
8. Glory (1989) - Morgan Freeman plays SGM John Rawlins, who is attached to the first all-black, volunteer Union Company during the Civil War under Colonel Robert Shaw (Matthew Broderick). Colonel Shaw is a white-officer who volunteered to lead this company of black soldiers and is forced to deal with the prejudices of both the enemy (who had orders to kill commanding officers of blacks), and of his own fellow officers. This movie has a rating of 7.9/10 stars.
9. Lucky Number Slevin (2006) - In this movie a case of mistaken identity lands Slevin (Josh Hartnett) into the middle of a war being plotted by two of the city's rival crime bosses: The Rabbi (Ben Kingsley) and The Boss (Morgan Freeman). Slevin has no choice but to hatch a plan of his own in order to get them before they get him. It has a 7.8/10 star rating.
10. Gone Baby Gone (2007) - Morgan Freeman plays Captain Jack Doyle in this movie about the Abduction of a four year old girl. The girl's family doesn't like the results the police are getting and so the girl's aunt hires two Private Detectives to help find her. After facing off against Drug Dealers, Gangs, and Pedophiles The detectives are faced with a Moral Dilemma as they are about to solve the case. This Film got 7.7/10 stars.
There you have them everyone. My list of top rated Morgan Freeman films, spanning 23 years and ranging from 7.7 to 9.3 Stars as well as several Genres. I am sure you'll find something on this list that suits you. This Post is also Available in English and Spanish, so as always comment below, keep it clean, and follow me on twitter@jdseigars if you like.