I have been getting a little burned out on Superhero movie articles lately, so I decided to do something a little different and list my 10 favorite Romantic Dramas. If you haven't watched these films yet, then you are missing some great movies. Don't take my word for it, just look at the IMDb user rating for each one or watch the first 5 minutes and you'll see for yourself. Here are my favorite Romantic Dramas in order of my preference with IMDb user rating to back me up on each:
1. The Time Traveler's Wife (2009) - This movie stars Eric Bana as a man born with an extra chromosome that causes him to uncontrollably travel in time and Rachel McAdams as the woman he loves, who also loves him. It follows their romance (and all it's unusual and moral problems/questions) as he travels back and forth in time while trying to find a cure so that they can have a normal life. It has 7.1/10 stars.
2. The Lake House (2006) - This movie is about a Doctor, played by Sandra Bullock, who buys a lake house and starts sending letters back and forth with the former owner, played by Keanu Reeves. Through the course of the movie they fall in love, but discover that they are living and communicating two years apart from each other. They then have to find ways to meet in real time before the time warp closes and they lose each other forever. This one has 6.8/10 stars.
3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - This movie has Brad Pitt in the starring role as a man who is born with several aging diseases. It tells about his life as well as the life of the woman who is his true love, Daisy (played by Cate Blanchett). This is another movie similar to Time Traveler's Wife, with the exception being that it is all happening in "real" time. The movie plays out as Daisy's Daughter reads Benjamin's Diary to her as Daisy is on her deathbed and Hurricane Katrina is closing in. It also asks a lot of moral questions, just as Time Traveler's Wife does, since he is aging in reverse. There comes a time when he is in his 20's and she in her 60's and they still make love. a Similar thing happens in Time-Traveler's Wife with him being around 40 and her 18-20 years old. These movies are NOT looked on negatively because most people realize that the situations in which they take place are NOT ORDINARY. Keep this in mind as you watch them. This movie is almost three hours long, so please make sure you have time before starting to watch it. It has a rating of 7.8/10 stars.
4. Titanic (1997) - The movie that gave Leonardo DiCaprio his big break, Titanic tells the story of an 18 year old engaged Upper-Class woman (Kate Winslet) as she meets, falls in love with, poses nude for, and loses the love of her life on the doomed H.M.S. Titanic. The above referenced love being the kind, but poor artist played by DiCaprio. This film has 7.7/10 stars.
5. Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - This is the story of how a young girl from a poor fishing village in pre-WW2 Japan is sold into a life of servitude and mistreated for many years before finally being rescued as a young woman, played by Ziyi Zhang, by a wealthy older gentleman benefactor, played by Ken Watanabe. For those who don't know, A geisha was a woman who was groomed from a little girl to be beautiful and graceful. She also was taught to obey her benefactor and do ANYTHING he asked of her. This Movie is NOT for younger people under 12 years old in my opinion. It received a rating of 7.3/10 stars.
6. The Vow (2012) - This movie again stars Rachel McAdams, only this time she has a car accident which gives her severe Memory Loss. It is up to her husband, played this time around by Channing Tatum, to win her heart all over again. It has 6.8/10 stars.
7. Step up (2006) - Channing Tatum also stars in this movie that co-stars real life wife, Jenna Dewan-Tatum, as a guy from the wrong side of the tracks who is caught vandalizing the Maryland school of the arts and meets the Ballet Dancer that shows him the right path and helps him to be a better person. This movie has 6.5/10 stars.
8. Walk the Line (2005) - This movie is about the life of Johnny and June-Carter Cash's ups and downs as a couple and as artists. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon give fantastic performances as the cash's. I specially like the fact that the Actor's ACTUALLY SING the songs in the movie. Most of the time that is done by lip-syncing or voice-overs of the original songs. This is a love story for the ages that happened in OUR lifetime. It has a 7.9/10 star rating.
9. The Illusionist (2006) - Edward Norton and Jessica Biel star in this movie about the love that renowned illusionist Eisenheim has for the Duchess Von Teschen, a love that has lasted en though they have been apart for 15 years and how he goes about winning her away from her Fiancee', Prince Leopold. This movie has 7.6/10 stars.
10. Safe Haven (2013) - This final movie in my top ten tells the story of a young woman, played by Julianne Hough, who is on the run from her abusive husband when she comes to Southport, North Carolina. She is eventually drawn to a widowed local business owner, played by Josh Duhamel, and his family. The rest of the movie shows the lengths that all involved have to go through in order for the two of them to have the life they deserve. It has 6.6/10 stars.
There they are everyone. My list of ten romantic dramas to watch before you die. As always, comment below and keep it clean. Also, follow me on [email protected] or find me on facebook by looking up the entertainment writer.