Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sat down to write the first Sherlock Holmes story 138 years ago, but even he underestimated the gravity of the character that he was to create. From Police protection systems to porn stars, the worlds most cherished and most famously adapted detective is about to have yet another rebirth in Sherlock Holmes 3; so we've taken it upon ourselves to compile the top 10 most bizarre facts about the genius sleuth (via Distractify).
1. Sherlock Holmes was to be named “Sherrinford Holmes” originally. Sure.
2. ...and believe it or not, Watson was once a robot!
3. Between 1999 and 2001, Sherlock was resurrected to fight crime in the animated world of the 22nd century.
4. Arthur Conan Doyle never actually portrayed Holmes as wearing the iconic deerstalker cap and cape.
5. Sherlock has an information system “HOLMES 2” (Home Office Major Enquiry System) named after him, which is used by the UK Police force.
6. Sherlock was inspired by Arthur Conan Doyle’s college professor, Dr. Joseph Bell, who was able to diagnose his patients with just a look.
7. According to the Guinness Book Of World Records, Sherlock is the most portrayed fictional character ever: played by 70+ actors in 250+ screen adaptations.
8. Sherlock Holmes had his own porno. Made in 1975 it was called "The American Adventures of Surelick Holmes" and had an all-male cast; where Moriarty was a transvestite named "Maryarty".
9.A South Korean pop band also have a chart-topping single inspired by the detective.
10. “If in one hundred years I am known only as the man who invented Sherlock Holmes, then I will have considered my life a failure"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Lets just hope the after life doesn't exist, because poor old Conan Doyle will not be able to rest easy. So with all of that in mind, perhaps it will give you a different perspective on Robert Downie Jr's forthcoming incarnation in Sherlock Holmes 3?