It sure did... I know the movie came out a month ago but I finally had the time to see it this past weekend. I am a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and The Winter Solider was a film I was looking forward to.
So there I am watching it and thoroughly enjoying it til the final climatic scenes. Then it all came together.Is this movie actually Metal Gear Solid???
BAM it hit me... Yeah it is!!!!
Now I am not saying that the writers stole from the popular Konami Franchise but the similarities are scary.
Here are some character examples;
1. Steve Rodgers aka Captain America is Snake: Both soldiers bound to follow orders from their commanding officers aka Nick Fury and Colonel Roy Campbell and when something sounds fishy they both question authority.
2. The Tanker: Rogers and Agent Natasha Romanoff are sent with S.H.I.E.L.D.'s counter-terrorism to free hostages aboard a S.H.I.E.L.D. vessel from mercenaries. Mid-mission, Rogers discovers Romanoff has another agenda: to extract data from the ship's computers for Fury. So in Metal Gear: Sons of Liberty Snake arrives on the tanker transporting the weapon in the middle of an attack by Russian mercenaries and his main mission is to take classified pictures of the new Metal Gear. Opening action scene for both the movie and the game. Now each goes in a different direction but none the less similarities are there.
3. Is Agent Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow supposed to be Meryl? Well not so much cause Meryl was still wet behind the ears and Black Widow kicked some serious ass in the movie. But that unspoken bond between Fury and Black Widow made me think of the whole Meryl and Campbell relationship. Plus don't forget Widow is Capt's go to girl like Meryl was in the later games (MGS4). Something small and maybe nothing but note worthy.
4. Project Insight v.s. ArMetal Gear: Project Insight is well (spoiler alert) were three Helicarriers linked to spy satellites, designed to preemptively eliminate threats and Metal Gear is a nuclear-capable mecha to eliminate government threats. While both used the idea of three unique cards to disable the system.
Side note the three unique cards aka PAL cards in MGS was used to activate Metal Gear but the idea was there.
5. Is The Winter Solider Liquid Snake??? Well again this might be a toss up as The Winter Solider came way before any Metal Gear game. Again the similarities are there. Lets recap in Metal Gear Liquid explains that they (Snake and Liquid) are the product of the Les Enfants Terribles project, a government-sponsored project. Captain America is part of the super solider project in which H.Y.D.R.A tried to duplicate with Bucky Barnes aka The Winter Soldier when he was captured and assumed dead. That's is why The Winter Solider can go head to head with Captain America.