Maleficent opened this Friday, and with us getting some insight into one of Disney's baddest baddies I thought I'd be a great idea to decide just who is the baddest of them all. We'll go over their biggest faux pas as well as tell you a bit about them. I'm sure they'll enjoy hearing about themselves! Once again this is only for animated films (hand-drawn or otherwise) and only from Disney Animation Studios (Sorry Pixar, and Touchstone!) Let's get to it!
10. Chernabog (Fantasia, 1940): This demon-like creature put Mickey's Sorcerer's Apprentice character through everything and anything. Is it any wonder this guys a bad guy his name translates from Slavic to mean "black god". Yeah, all he's missing is a sweet heavy metal riff and he's all set.
Biggest Offense: Dude looks like a demon! Plus he was a total dick to poor Mickey. His imposing nature, and unbelievably evil facade make him an easier pick for Best Villain.
9. Hades (Hercules, 1997): Voiced by James Woods this God of the Underworld is Hercules' biggest foe, and whether he's slow playing his scheme to overtake Mount Olympus, or having his bumbling underlings fail to successfully help him achieve his goal. Scheming, sarcastic, and snarky Hades is the type of villain that will deprecate you whilst simultaneously stabbing you in the back.
Biggest Offense: Not only did he double cross and later (spoiler alert) attempt to kill Megara by throwing her into the River Styx among all the other floating souls. He tries to overthrow Zeus, and he wanted a baby killed to assure his plan was a success. I'd say that's enough to get him on the list.
8. Judge Claude Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame, 1996): Villainous and just plain unlikable this Judge not only kills Quasimodo's mother, but is a racist, and total over zealous religious zealot. When he isn't having his hunchbacked victim humiliated in the middle of a carnival, he's scheming and plotting some other devious bit of treachery.
Biggest Offense: Tries to blackmail Esmeralda into being with him by assuring he won't harm Quasimodo, whom she's recently discovered is an actual human being. Plus you know that whole trying to kill babies thing he did in the beginning was pretty wretched.
7. Lady Tremaine (Cinderella, 1950): Cinderella was living a pretty sweet life until her dad died leaving her with this crabby piece of work. She's mean, and completely jealous of Cinderella abundance of beauty. Meanwhile she's constantly trying to get her much uglier daughter's Drizella and Anastasia ahead. She's very much a psychological villain always mentally abusing her poor step-daughter.
Biggest Offense: Taking her poor step-daughter Cinderella and turning her pretty much into a slave. She has to clean the house and work constantly all the while Lady Tremaine is trying to keep her down while picking up her own two brats.
6. Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians, 1961): She's Anita's boss and a rabid fur collector, it is that obsession with fur that leads her to want the hide from Anita and her husband Roger's Dalmatian puppies. That's not what makes her evil it is the lengths she will go to get the fur from those little canines. Her chain smoking mania causes her to do many things a normal sane person wouldn't or couldn't do.
Biggest Offense: She tries to run a truck full of dogs off of the road by driving recklessly and without conscience. It's her obsessive nature that makes her a danger to anyone who gets in her way. Plus she's the only villain on this list with her own catchy little theme.
5. "The Evil Queen" Grimhilde (Snow White & the Seven Dwarves, 1937): When asking her mirror on the wall whose the fairest one of all the vain Grimhilde would always get her ego stroked by finding our it was her, however upon finding out one day that there was a fairer one then her she loses it. She makes it her whole goal to find and destroy this Snow White, she sends a huntsman after the young girl and expects her heart in a box returned to her as proof.
Biggest Offense: When she finds out the huntsman lied and gave her a pig's heart she disguises herself as an old hag, and offers the young Snow White an apple, that fruit was poisoned and it put the Princess into an eternal slumber. Listen, no one likes a liar, they dislike paranoid liars even less.
4. Jafar (Aladdin, 1992): Yeah, Jafar is pretty much the guy you shouldn't trust. I mean just look at him! Why would you trust a guy that looks this nefarious? Along with his obnoxious pet parrot Iago they plan an elaborate coup to get rid of the Sultan. While simultaneously having to get rid of the pesky Aladdin, whose somehow gotten a hold of the magic lamp.
Biggest Offense: Dude turned into a serpent and tried to murder everyone! That's about as bad as it can get. You factor in his maniacal nature, and singular focus and you get a villain who is not only evil, but menacing and untrustworthy in any way.
3. Ursula (The Little Mermaid, 1989): A bargainer of the worst kind. She will make you an offer you cannot refuse, and in the case of the lovely Mermaid Princess Ariel, Ursula offers her leg to walk on in exchange for her wonderful singing voice. A voice she used to sing our number two Disney song of all time. She herself goes on to wax on those "poor unfortunate souls" whom she taken advantage of.
Biggest Offense: After making a deal in which she is given Ariel's voice Ursula uses it along with a disguise to enchant Prince Eric. Upon disguising herself as "Vanessa" she puts a spell on Eric to make him forget all about Ariel. If your Ursula you want to have your cake and eat it too.
2. Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty, 1959): In this corner from the Forbidden Mountain she is the Queen of Mean, the Sorceress Supreme...Maleficent! When an evil fairy wants to take vengeance upon you she'll do it however she sees fit to do so! As if that weren't enough, unlike the annoying Iago, Maleficent's foul friend is a raven named Diablo. The raven is her scout, flying about helping find Princess Aurora. Bonus evil points because she can turn into a freaking dragon!
Biggest Offense: She put a curse on a baby! And if not for some quick thinking (at least for them) on the part of Merryweather that curse could've been deadly! Instead the curse can only be broken by true loves kiss. And as luck would have it (and it usually does with Disney) she meets her Prince. Good thing Snow White was right eh?
1. Scar (The Lion King, 1994): Everyone has that uncle that just screws up everything! Unfortunately for Simba his uncle in that department happens to be the feline equivalent of a sociopath. Jealous, power hungry, and willing to do anything to get what he wants, thats Scar in a nutshell. And when you really read that he'd be a good politician! And with his pack of hyena's at his side there isn't a whole lot this guy can't get done. Bonus evil points for having Jeremy Irons silky tones coming out of his anthropomorphic mouth.
Biggest Offense: HE KILLED MUFASA! Jerk! Not only that but he then tried to blame it on little Simba like it was all his fault! He takes over Pride Rock and turns it into his own personal gateway to hell. In a literal given the visuals. No other baddie on this list killed their own brother just to seize power, and then destroy that entire kingdom whilst simultaneously "scarring" their nephew forever.
So there you have it! The top ten baddies in all of Disney! I know they'll be plenty of discussion so go ahead use that comment section. Tell me whether you loved it...or hated it. We kind of expect the latter, but love the former. Let us know who we forgot, but be ready to defend that position!
You can catch more top ten's as well as reviews and Netflix Pix on my blog below is the link to this article: http://filmsnobreviews.blogspot.com/2014/06/snob-top-ten-disney-villains-animated.html