Marvel's next big franchise, Guardians of the Galaxy, doesn't hit theaters until August 1, but we think you should brush up on your movie knowledge before it comes out and becomes the worl-- scratch that, galaxy’s biggest movie. The basic outline of the plot is: "In the far reaches of space, an American pilot named Peter Quill finds himself the object of a manhunt after stealing an orb coveted by the villainous Ronan."
Parks & Recreation star Chris Pratt got seriously ripped for the part of Peter Quill/Star Lord, and there are some other faces you might recognize. Zoe Saldana is part of yet another franchise as she stars as Gamora and, though he might not actually be on screen, Bradley Cooper is voicing a character named Rocket Raccoon. HOWEVER, before these actors were chosen for their respective parts, there were quite a few other people who were considered. Here are 27 actors you didn't know were almost cast in Guardians of the Galaxy:
1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt — JGL auditioned AND screen tested for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord, but turned it down in order to join Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
2. Eddie Redmayne — Eddie was another contender who auditioned and screen tested for Peter Quill/Star Lord.
3. Aaron Paul — Yep, this Breaking Bad star auditioned and screen tested for Peter Quill/Star Lord too.
4. Cam Gigandet — Cam also auditioned and screen tested for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord.
5. Chris Lowell — Chris auditioned and screen tested for Peter Quill/Star Lord.
6. Garrett Hedlund — And another for Peter/Star Lord.
7. John Krasinski — John missed out on Captain America AND playing Peter Quill/Star Lord as he auditioned and screen tested for the part.
8. Lee Pace — Lee auditioned and screen tested for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord, but ended up being cast as Ronan the Destroyer in the movie instead.
9. Logan Marshall-Green — Tom Hardy's doppelganger is another actor who (unsuccessfully) auditioned and screen tested for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord.
10. Glenn Howerton — Glenn was one of the main contenders for Peter Quill/Star Lord, and even auditioned and screen tested for the role.
11. Jack Huston — This actor might be the nephew of Anjelica Huston, but his audition and screen test didn't land him the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord.
12. Joel Edgerton — The Great Gatsby star auditioned and screen tested for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord.
13. Jim Sturgess — Jim was not only a contender for The Amazing Spider-Man a couple years ago, but he also auditioned and screen tested for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord.
14. Wes Bentley — From Seneca to Star Lord?! That could have been the case, but after auditioning and a screen test, Wes didn't get the part.
15. James Marsden — Cyclops also auditioned and screen tested for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord.
16. Michael Rosenbaum — This former Smallville star could have transitioned from Lex Luthor to Peter Quill/Star Lord, but his audition and screen test didn't end up getting him the part.
17. Jensen Ackles — Jensen was a contender for the role of Peter Quill/Star Lord, but didn't end up getting the part despite auditioning and screen testing.
18. Olivia Wilde — Olivia was offered the role of Gamora, but turned it down.
19. Adrianne Palicki — This Friday Night Lights star was a contender for the role of Gamora after Olivia Wilde passed.
20. Rachel Nichols — Rachel was also considered for the role of Gamora.
21. Gina Carano — Gina was considered for the role of Gamora before Zoe Saldana was cast.
22. Sharlto Copley — Before Bradley Cooper was chosen to voice Rocket Raccoon, the Maleficent actor was considered.
23. David Tennant — The Doctor Who star was also considered to voice Rocket Raccoon.
24. Jim Carrey — Jim was also considered to voice Rocket Raccoon.
25. Adam Sandler — It looks like they were thinking of Rocket Raccoon having a more comedic voice to it before Bradley stepped in, since Adam Sandler was also considered to voice the feisty character.
26. Isaiah Mustafa — Before Dave Bautista was cast as Drax the Destroyer, the Old Spice guy was also considered.
27. Jason Momoa — Jason was actually offered the role of Drax the Destroyer, but declined "because he didn't want himself to be pigeonholed as a brute by the audience (having played several action roles)."