3 years after the magical Harry Potter came to a close, I went back to it and decided i didn't know why the Defense Against the Dark Arts post was non-permanent...
The post of Defense against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts has always been a weird one, they haven't kept one for longer than a year, but why is this? First, lets take a look at who the Dark Arts went to in all of the years!
- Quirinus Quirrell (movie 1)
- Gilderoy Lockhart (movie 2)
- Remus Lupin (movie 3)
- Bartemius Crouch Jr. ( movie 4) **
- Dolores Umbridge (movie 5) ***
- Severus Snape (movie 6)
- Amycus Carrow (movie 7)
** Was acting as Professor Moody, using the polyjuice potion!
*** It is unidentified who the defense against the dark arts teacher is in Movie 7 part 2!
So what happened to all of them as we go deeper...?
- Quirrell died when he suffered excruciating pain from Harry Potter's love-protection, as well as when Voldemort's fragmented soul left his body.
- Lockhart lost his memory due to a backfiring Memory Charm with a broken wand, sent to St Mungo's Hospital for recuperation, never fully recovered.
- Lupin revealed by rival teacher Severus Snape to be a werewolf, forced to resign due to parents' protests and safety of the school.
- Alastor Moody claimed to be only teaching a year before retiring: turned out to be Barty Crouch Jr. in disguise, Barty received the Dementor's Kiss, Moody was imprisoned in his own magical trunk for almost one year and did not teach at all, hinting that the fact he was appointed made him a victim too.
- Umbridge removed when Cornelius Fudge was forced to accept that Lord Voldemort had indeed returned, leading to the abolishing of all of Umbridge's Educational Decrees.
- Snape escaped when he murdered Albus Dumbledore, which was secretly planned with the Headmaster to spare him the pain of a curse, abandoning the post in the process.
Now to the point! This jinx was cast by Tom Marvolo Riddle, who was by the time known exclusively as Lord Voldemort, to curse the Hogwarts school's Defence Against the Dark Arts class to ensure that none of its applicants could hold their post for more than one year. It is unknown what the requirements and incantation of this jinx are, or if it could be used for other school subjects or other establishments and careers. The jinx will be lifted once the caster is dead.
But this does raise some questions for instance professor Lupin was in no way effected by this curse, as he was already a werewolf before, and it was common sense to remove him from the school! Voldemort also had nothing to do with the quitting of Lockhart!