For those that have been living under a rock, ABC News reported today that the World Health Organization has officially declared the Ebola Outbreak a Public Health Emergency. The only way to get this is through blood, fecal matter, and urine. So unless you throw poo, urine, or blood at someones's face or put it into your mouth or rub it into your open wounds, you probably won't likely contract this. Oh and you can't get it through sex unless that person enjoys an R. Kelly style of sex (i.e. - Gold Shower).
Let's go through the list of what you can do to avoid this if it really gets bad in the United States:
1) Physically Touching. We all know we do it everyday. From handshaking to touching bathroom doors to placing out palms on our faces, we do it without a second thought. But this is the main reason we as humans will contract the common cold without realizing it sometimes. We know we're told and taught to cover out mouths, but reaction kicks in faster than thinking to just NOT use our hands or to spew debris everywhere when we sneeze (I should, I just sneezed 30 minutes ago directly into the air!).
So just wash your hands, cover your mouth with the inside of your arm at the elbow bend, and only shake hands before and/or after you use antibacterial liquid gel or handibac.
2) Food. Uncooked or even what you think is fully cooked, will lead to food poising. Especially if you don't see mold growing on your bread, it might be growing on the inner most part of a loaf without you knowing. I've had it happen before, didn't know till I had to slice into it. Sneaky mold! So make sure to cook most food with a temperature of 300 or higher to kill off bacteria. So don't let your mind play tricks on you like those form the movie, Ghost Ship, food can in fact go bad!
3) Traveling. You may not think about it, but tight spaces will cause you to spread it faster than in an open space. Thats why it's easier to get it on a plane, on a bus, boat, in a car, taxi, etc...
Always keep tissues with you when this happens and try an over the counter product use to help before you travel for long periods. Airborne makes a product just for traveling so you don't get sick. When your immune system is low, thats why you are most likely to contract whatever is available to infect your body. Think of those people in hospitals you don' even want to touch with a 10ft pole because they are SUPER sick!
4) Not sharing is actually caring for YOU! Surprisingly most people share drinks, food from their plate, and other things you wouldn't think about. We also tend to share computers, cell phones, game controllers, etc... but in reality you are sharing whatever bug/virus they could be bringing with them into your life. If they are sick and don't know it yet, well you just joined heir rank of getting infected like a Resident Evil movie.
The easiest way is to make sure to have some kind of germ killing handibac on hand or wipes to use after everyone has left or before they show up. Taking these kind of precautions sounds much, but when it's cold/flu season you'll thank yourself for not getting sick.
5) The Bathroom is a War Zone! Surprisingly your own bathroom is dangerous to your health. From flushing fecal matter without the lid closed to not cleaning out your sink really well (i.e. - faucet handles!), it can get you sick. It's been proven that if you leave your toilet lid up after taking a #2, then flush it, you are flinging poop particles into the air, which is why they suggest keeping your toilet brush up to 5 feet away directly from the toilet! Which means if you don't do this, you are brushing with poop every morning! GROSS! (http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/how-toilets-spread-germs)
Now if anyone has ever watched movies about a virus destroying mankind, turning them into zombies, killing off children, etc... you know how it plays outs. Which is why I'm bringing out every example in sci-fi/horror movie history of how real life imitates movie art! Now onto the horror/sci-fi movie comparisons....
6) Cliché Movie Moment. You know that moment in real life where it feels like the CDC is making it up from a film you've seen, but in reality it's real protocols.
The frightening thing is they tell people to "extra" precautions because they themselves don't always have some of the answers. For instance, they don't have a cure for this Ebola virus. Same instance happened in the movie, Contagion, no vaccine to help the human race till the very end of the movie. Talk about a scary instance or identical portions!
7) If you feel ill, you could be taken! Anyone ever see The Crazies?
The government has a track record in movies to take those that are sick and quarantine them off, but also doing in such a manner that freaks the person out and if the public finds out, sends them into a wide spread panic. Now this is starting to happen with the latest on Americans being brought back into the states and sent to Atlanta. Patterns, people... PATTERNS!
8) If they don't turn into zombies, they'll still look scary! It's not T-Virus or man-made government virus, but it sure will be scary zombies or not.
So now you know how to protect yourself and see movie patterns that just make this all so very creepy. So just remember to wash your hands, use antibacterial hand gel, and flush that toilet!