Alfred Joseph Hitchcock was an English film director, producer and screenwriter, also known as “The Master of Suspense”.
His style of filmmaking, the knowledge to really get the most out of the actors, and talent to surprise his audience have made him one of the most respected filmmakers ever.
He directed many cinema classics and three of them (Vertigo (1958), Psycho (1960), and North by Northwest (1959)) appeared on American Film Institute Top 100 Films. Although he never won an Oscar, despite being nominated several times, he received the American Film Institute’s Life Achievement Award in 1979.
Alfred Hitchcock was not only a good director, but also a master of inspiration and motivation. In honor of this great director, we bring you the 25 Remarkable Alfred Hitchcock Quotes.
1. I am a typed director. If I made Cinderella, the audience would immediately be looking for a body in the coach.
2. In the documentary the basic material has been created by God, whereas in the fiction film the director is a God; he must create life.
3. I’m a writer and, therefore, automatically a suspicious character.
4. The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
5. Some films are slices of life. Mine are slices of cake.
6. A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it.
7. A good book does not necessarily make a good film.
8. Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn’t change people’s habits. It just kept them inside the house.
9. One of television’s great contributions is that it brought murder back into the home, where it belongs.
10. Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms.
11. I think all actors are cattle.
12. Disney has the best casting. If he doesn’t like an actor he just tears him up.
13. Give them pleasure. The same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
14. Always make the audience suffer as much as possible.Unknown source
15. The only way to get rid of my fears is to make films about them.
16. Fear isn’t so difficult to understand. After all, weren’t we all frightened as children? Nothing has changed since Little Red Riding Hood faced the big bad wolf. What frightens us today is exactly the same sort of thing that frightened us yesterday. It’s just a different wolf.
17. I am scared easily, here is a list of my adrenaline – production: 1: small children, 2: policemen, 3: high places, 4: that my next movie will not be as good as the last one.
18. I’m fortunate to be a coward, to have a low threshold of fear, because a hero couldn’t make a good suspense film.
19. There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.
20. The more successful the villain, the more successful the picture.
21. Self-plagiarism is style.
22. Ideas come from everything.
23. If I won’t be myself, who will?
24. Luck is everything… My good luck in life was to be a really frightened person.
25. What is drama, after all, but life with the dull bits cut out.
This post originally appeared on MagicalQuote.