ByJerome Maida, writer at Creators.co
Writer
Jerome Maida

It looks like a film many thought would never happen is indeed coming!

Consider this franchise "Bourne" again!

Yes, according to various reports, from "Entertainment Weekly" to "USA Today" to "The Hollywood Reporter", Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass are reuniting for another "Bourne" film!

This is exciting news for fans of the films starring Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, which were so popular and groundbreaking and buzz-worthy, they are credited with putting pressure on those in charge of the James Bond franchise to reboot it with the more realistic, less cartoony Daniel Craig films.

While Universal continued the franchise in 2012 with Jeremy Renner playing another agent in "The Bourne Legacy", and while that film was far from a bomb - it grossed $113 mililon domestically - it paled in both buzz and box-office to the three Damon installments, especially when ticket-price inflastion is taken into account.

Each Damon "Bourne" film out grossed it's predecessor.

The 2002 installment, "The Bourne Identity", grossed $121 million domestically, which translates to $170 million today; while it's sequel 2004's "The Bourne Supremacy", grossed $176 million domestically, which translates to $231 million today. The Damon trilogy concluded with the most popular entry to date, 2007's "The Bourne Ultimatum", which grossed $227 million domestically, which translates to $269 million today.

In other words, in just five short years, the Damon "Bourne" franchise almost doubled in popularity and attendance.

Therefore, Jeremy Renner as new agent Alex Cross in "The Bourne legacy" had a tough act to follow. Again, it's $118 million adjusted domestic gross was far from a flop, but it still meant the film had fewer than half of te attendance of "The Bourne Ultimatum".

Now, after years of denials and fans assuming they had seen their last Damon/Greengrass "Bourne" collaboration, it looks like fans will get to enjoy Jason Bourne again, as soon as 2016!

As "Deadline" reports:

"Jason Bourne is coming back. Universal Pictures has begun making deals with Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass to reunite for their third film in The Bourne Identity series, sources tell me. This is an absolute stunner — and Universal would not comment nor would the reps — because Greengrass told Deadline as recently as last year that once Bourne regained his memory, there was no place else for the character to go creatively. His search formed the spine for the trilogy Damon starred in."

"Well, they’ve figured it out. I’m told that the studio is so bullish on this that the intention is to make the reteam the next Bourne film to go into production to make the July 16, 2016, release slot that Universal had previously assigned to an untitled Bourne film. That means it would step in front of the spinoff sequel that is to reprise Jeremy Renner and be directed by 'Fast & Furious' architect Justin Lin. That film, which began with the Tony Gilroy-directed The Bourne Legacy, remains in development. I thought its premise— Renner plays one of several genetically altered assassins, all of whom are targeted for death — was smart and satisfying on its own. Universal intends to continue that series and to broaden its franchise base, much the way that Marvel cranks out superhero films. 'The Bourne Legacy' was a good start to a new franchise, but Jason Bourne is a hard act to follow. Now, franchise-hungry Universal has both of them"

Don't know about all of you, but I'm beyond excited at this news!

Trending

Latest from our Creators