In a cinema landscape that still basks in the glow of Nolan-era Batman, it's easy to forget the Dark Knight films of yesterday. Batman Returns, released in 1992, is a Bat outing that is particularly forgotten, sandwiched in history between the height of Batmania with 1989's Batman and the franchise-dooming Schumacher era. Given this historical context, it's understandable that many have forgotten how bizarre, inappropriately erotic, and at times blatantly horrifying this movie was.
1. The movie opens with a mother and father murdering their deformed infant son.
Sure, it doesn’t take, but that doesn’t make the idea of a baby either drowning or freezing to death in the Gotham sewers any less disturbing.
2. The Penguin uses Fred Atkin’s severed hand as comic relief
Such highlights of this scene include The Penguin playing ventriloquist with the rotting appendage ("Hi-ya, Max, remember me? I'm Fred's hand! You wanna greet any other body parts?") and shaking Christopher Walken's hand with it.
3. Selina Kyle is brutally murdered in vivid detail only to rise from the grave as a zombie after being revived by cat bites.
Watch this in the dark a few dozen times and try going to sleep.
4. This moment:
5. The Red Triangle Circus Gang
I mean seriously, look at these guys:
Ok, so that last one isn't from Batman Returns, but when your henchmen could be easily confused with characters from a Rob Zombie movie, it's safe to say they aren't Happy Meal toy material.
6. The Penguin is convinced to run for mayor by being promised, “Unlimited Poontang.”
The Penguin, on top of loving to murder innocent people, is also portrayed as being an overt sexual threat to numerous female characters.
Quips like, “I’d like to fill her void,” and “Just the pussy I’ve been looking for” at first provide quick laughs, but become increasingly disturbing when one stops and think about the character saying these things.
Take a serious look at this scene and tell me it's not creepy:
7. Batman kills numerous people by various violent means, including burning them alive and blowing them up.
8. Max Shreck’s body.
9. The Penguin’s master plan is, ultimately, to kidnap children in their sleep and drown them in poisonous chemicals.
This one's a little bit more horrifying than a microwave emitter. Or two boats about to blow each other up. Or an atom bomb, honestly.
10. The Penguin dies a long, excruciating death throwing up black slime.
And we see...
Disgusting moment of it.
For more, check us out at Gotham City Memes. Also have your say and decide what moment in the movie was the darkest for you.