Regina (Rachel McAdams), Cady (Lindsey Lohan), Gretchen (Lacey Chabert), Karen (Amanda Seyfried), and even Ms. Norbury (Tina Fey) reunited for a special and glamorous 10th Anniversary photo shoot! The leading ladies of what has become a pop culture classic reminisced on their favorite memories from the film and discussed what they thought the plastics and Cady would be doing right now.
Fun Facts and Nostalgia
• Writer and co-star Tina Fey was inspired to create the film after discovering Rosalind Wiseman's book Queen Bees & Wannabes, which discuses real teen-girl behavior
• Rachel McAdams and Lindsey Lohan actually flip-flopped parts! Lohan, stating that she "was still 17 years old and I wanted to be the cool girl on set," actually auditioned for the part of Regina, while McAdams had her eyes set on Cady's role.
• Lacey Chabert actually thought she was totally wrong for the part of Gretchen since the physical description was totally different from her own. We can't imagine Mean Girls without her though!
• Because she was filming SNL at the same time, Tina Fey had to take advantage of some pretty unique styles of transportation. "I don’t remember if I was weird about flying or if it was the timing, but sometimes I would go do 'SNL,' then I would get in a Winnebago at 2 in the morning and be driven to Toronto. It’s so stupid."
• Amanda Seyfried was just a baby! She had just graduated from high school, so this was her first big film debut. Thankfully, Lacey Chabert was kind enough to take her under her wing.
• Lohan was apparently determined to find pink Uggs..."[She] had been online trying to get pink Uggs because [she] had a pink pleated skirt in the scene where [she] fall[s] into the garbage can. [She] was like, “I need pink Uggs!”
• Glenn Cocco is a real person! It's Tina Fey's older brother's friend who works as a film editor in Los Angeles.
• There could have been a sequel! :( In Fey's own words: "For whatever reason I was like, 'No!!! We shouldn’t do that!' Now I look back and I’m like, 'Why?' But now, no—it’s too late now."
Where would The Plastics be now...?
SEYFRIED: Karen would manage or own a store that sells really cool dog attire, like Swarovski dog collars and Halloween costumes for animals. She’s probably really focused.
LOHAN: Cady’s with Oprah in Africa working at children’s schools with a family, teaching girls to be nice to each other.
CHABERT: Gretchen is probably running the Toaster Strudel empire. She is probably married and has, like, seven babies right now. She and Jason worked it out. She has very big curly hair.
McADAMS: Regina is a Real Housewife. She’d have too much time on her hands, for sure. She’s probably found all her other Reginas.
Well...now that we're never going to get a sequel, this photo shoot will have to do :( Enjoy!