Just about every spoken line in Birdman oozes brilliance. As many of you probably know, the film is edited/manipulated to make it appear that it's captured in one continuous shot. Because of this directorial decision, each line of dialogue has to be perfectly interwoven with what is spoken before and after it. There're no quick time-skips or convenient cuts in Birdman to propel its narrative onward; instead, it's just a constant free-flow of dialogue that extrapolates beautifully from one line to the next. It's a marvel to see the film unfold before your eyes and to hear the character's conversations build on top of the other so organically. Of course this is the intended effect of many films; but Birdman is a true rarity in this regard because of how essential each line truly feels.
What follows below are some of my favorite lines from the film, in no special order. (I wrote most of these down in the notes section of my phone and double-checked for accuracy during my second viewing). Some of them are hilarious, while others are surprisingly serious. There's so much wonderful dialogue that wasn't included in this list, so don't feel like I'm robbing you of anything if you haven't seen [Birdman](movie:780317) yet. Enjoy.
1. “Do you see that woman over there?”
“The one that looks like she licked that homeless man's ass?”
2. “A douchebag is born every minute and that was PT Barnum's premise when he invented the circus.”
3. “They don't know you. They know the guy in the birdsuit that tells coy and slightly vomitous stories on David Letterman.”
4. “Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a broadway actress and now that I've made it I'm still a little kid.”
5. “If you die today, at least you're trending.”
6. “If you weren't so afraid, what would you do to me?”
“I'd pull your eyes out...”
“And I'd put them in my own skull so I could look around and see the streets like I used to when I was your age.”
7. “You're no actor, you're a celebrity.”
8. “Look at me! I look like a turkey with leukemia! I'm the answer to a trivial pursuit question!”
9. “This play is starting to feel like a miniature deformed version of me, running around and hitting me in the balls with a tiny hammer.”
10. “No, you're Birdman, because without me, all that's left is you.”
Thanks for reading, and let me know if there's a brilliant line that I failed to include!