With Middle Earth coming to an end, some days ago, I went on a movie marathon of The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings and I cant help but relate Dumbledore with Gandalf. I found striking similarities between them which I would like to share. Let's get straight to the points. Also, there is this Elvish evolution! And advancement in Magical Tech!
Note: we should consider this that the placement of Lord of the Rings in time is much far away to Harry Potter.
1. Look at their faces as a starter....Who looks younger? Gandalf. If you consider this, already, in Hobbit and Lord of the rings Gandalf Is very old (doesn't look much old, but he is). And you can think that after centuries, he finally gets wrinkles and all those things. Both of them are white. As you all know, Gandalf the grey becomes Gandalf the white in LOTR.
2. Both of them have magical powers.Though Dumbledore thought it would be best to lighten up his burden, since he was, compared to earlier, old. Or staffs were no longer needed! simple magic wands would do the job now as magical tech has become advanced!
3. After LOTR, when there was no more adventure and he had left middle-earth, he started for a new life he started to teach. If a wise man has a lot of experience, what does he do? He shares it. So he went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft And Wizardry.
4. Their is little information about the families of Gandalf and Dumbledore and they are both privy about it and finally, some of it is said in Harry Potter, that he had a brother.
5. Both can control fire very well ! In LOTR, under the mountain where he fights that fiery creature Balrog. And in Harry Potter, when Dumbledore protects himself and Harry from the water creatures on the hope of finding the Hoacrux.
I guess there is a question. Why did the elves become this ugly, (no offence to them) and of course, shorter than hobbits?
The time of Elves had come to an end, that's what what happened in the end of LOTR. My theory is this. As Men grew powerful, the remaining elves got abandoned and wandered the woods. Lack of proper food and care led them to an evolution (smaller body means less food needed. Ugly face means they will be less attractive to predators).
Now Gandalf had an alliance with them in LOTR, and he couldn't bear looking at the conditions of the elves. So he brought them to the Harry Potter world and kept them there until people started selling them off as slaves.
What do you think about this? Can you think of any more relations? Let me know in the comments.