This is my eighth installment in my weekly Versus series, where I try to clear up common arguments on who would win against whom in a fight. In this week's article I aim to settle who would win out of two powerhouses: Shazam vs Sentry.
Let's meet the combatants:
Captain Marvel/Shazam (New 52)
Billy Batson was a terrible foster child. After the death of his parents and his treatment thereafter, Billy had become cold and cruel to most people. Growing selfish and heartless, he went from foster home to foster home until he landed in an orphanage in Philadelphia and was partially forced to live with a new family - the Vasquezes. After being adopted he moves into the Vazquez's home where he meets the rest of their family, who are also adopted. It is immediately apparent that Billy does not fit in with the rest and he soon gets into a fight with the others, storming off into his room. Annoyed by his new family, which includes Mary, Freddy, Eugene, Pedro, and Darla, he decides to leave as he's done countless times before but as he does he's whisked away to the Rock of Eternity where he meets the Wizard. There, the Wizard searches the boy's soul and sees that he was not perfectly good. When he told him so, Billy was instantly enraged, telling the Wizard off for thinking that "perfect good" exists. The Wizard, seeing the boy's point, witnesses all the good Billy has done and accepts that the world has changed and now perfection has been exchanged for the hope of becoming good. Although he stated that he won't be able to take them back once given, the Wizard grants Billy the ability to wield the Living Lightning, turning him to the champion, Shazam.
Powers and Abilities:
- Transformation: By saying "Shazam", Billy Batson can transform into an adult version of himself with magical powers. He has no inherent control of these abilities and must learn to use them.
- Superhuman Strength: The Wizard said Billy would have the strength of a demigod, thus making him as strong (at the very least) to demigods like Perseus, Heracles etc. Billy can lift cars with ease, crush guns, and knock over superhuman enemies with little effort. He punched Superman enough to hurt him when he went to Kahndaq.
- Superhuman Durability: The Wizard said he has the strength of a demigod which also means his durability is at the level of demigods as he has not shown any physical weakness. Bullets have no effect on Billy, knives and conventional weaponry does nothing to his physical body as well. Only the most powerful of superhumans can topple him. He withstood a punch from an enraged Superman without any noticeable pain and injury afterwards.
- Superhuman Speed: When he granted Billy his powers, the Wizard told him that he will be able to travel like lightning itself which means that Shazam can fly through the sky at multi-mach speeds. His true limits are still unknown though, but he has even reacted to the actions of Superman in battle successfully.
- Magic: When the Wizard granted him his powers, Shazam became the Keeper of Magic and the Living Lightning. He can control electricity and can use various spells and enchantments. During his fight with Black Adam, Shazam enchanted his foster family, giving them not only his but their own unique powers as well, seemingly without any effort at all. He did not become weaker after he casted the spell like he did in past incarnations of the character, either.
- Electrokinesis: Shazam has the ability to control electricity in a multitude of ways.
- Electro-Blast: He can discharge a powerful blast of electricity from his body and attack foes with it.
- Flight: Billy can fly with no known limits. He's fought villains in the sky and been knocked out of the sky by the same villains with the grace of a falling brick.
- Billy Baxton: If Shazam speaks his name then he will transform back into the helpless child Billy, who is easily beatable. Also, since he retains the mind of Billy, he is still as gullible as a child.
In 1947, Canada's Department K and remnants of the United State's Operation: Rebirth pooled their resources to become Project: Sentry, an attempt to not only recreate the Super Soldier Serum but magnify its effects a thousand times over. Unfortunately, within a few years it had been completely separated. Over ten years later, Robert Reynolds, a meth addict, broke into the laboratory of Professor Cornelius. It was there that he discovered a glowing serum. Consuming the compound, Robert Reynolds gained the power of a million exploding suns. This act killed his partner and the lab's guards. He then asked the Professor to make more for himself. Project: Sentry, appalled at what their irresponsibility had wrought, persuaded Reynolds to let them test his powers at their facility, but they could not contain him for long, nor curb his desire to use his powers for the greater good of all. Reynolds sewed together a costume and made his debut as the heroic Sentry. Mastermind, hired by the Sentry's enemy the General, implanted a virus in Reynolds' mind that created delusions within his mind of the existence of the Void, which was (in reality) Reynolds' own repressed persona. This so-called "mental virus" impaired Reynolds' memory of his own life. As a cry for help, he subconsciously implanted his memories into the mind of comic book writer Paul Jenkins, who transferred the Sentry's memories to comic books. Jenkins then wrote that, should the Sentry ever remember his life he would be struck by a fear of a "devil" attacking the world, hence the Void. But eventually his memories returned.
Powers and Abilities:
- Chemically Enhanced Physiology: The Sentry's superhuman powers and abilities derive from the Super Soldier Serum as the serum was increased thousands of times and altered, making it much more potent.
- Molecular Manipulation: Following a confrontation with Molecule Man, Robert discovered he has the powers of molecular manipulation. However it should be noted that unlike Molecule Man, Sentry has little control of this particular power.
- Superhuman Strength: The Sentry's strength varies greatly and depends on his mental stability. The Sentry possesses vast superhuman strength, granting him the ability to lift (press) far in excess of 100 tons easily. He is one of the strongest beings in the Universe. He has demonstrated several astonishing feats of strength during his career, including easily lifting tremendous weights, taking Terrax the Tamer's cosmic axe and shattering it with his bare hands, lifting a cruise liner effortlessly, and his unrestrained power overloaded the Absorbing Man. The Void was even able to break the Hulk's limbs with relative ease, and the Sentry himself was able to easily kill Ares by ripping him in half. He can also absorb solar radiation for additional strength. The Sentry has yet to demonstrate an any limits to his strength, but he has shown that it can rival the likes of the Hulk, although this depends on his mental state.
- Superhuman Speed: The Sentry possesses the ability to think, move, and react at superhuman speeds. He has been observed catching bullets and has also been seen moving far in excess of supersonic speeds; his speed on earth is enough to be gauged as fast enough to move at orbital velocity (5 miles a second). It should also be noted that the Sentry has numerously been depicted as able to fly to the sun in a matter of moments (where it takes light over 8 minutes). This shows that his speed during interstellar travels is several times in excess of the speed of light, or (alternately) demonstrative of an ability to enter hyperspace.
- Superhuman Stamina: Sentry's enhanced musculature is far more efficient than that of a human. As a result his muscles produce no fatigue toxins. However, his stamina greatly varies, depending on his mental state.
- Superhuman Agility: Sentry's natural balance, agility, and body coordination are enhanced to levels that are far beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: The Sentry can react at superhuman speeds exceeding several times the speed of sound. Sentry was able to catch a sniper bullet from an advanced Skrull gun (typical sniper bullets travel at mach 4).
- Superhuman Senses: The Sentry possesses vastly enhanced senses. He is able to hear almost any sound at any volume or pitch. The only Earth creature who can detect sounds at the frequencies he can is a blue whale (0.01-200,000 Hz). He has shown enough control to block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source/frequency (he has demonstrated hearing a butterfly's heartbeat in Africa). The range of his eyesight is also far greater than that of a human being. He is able to detect a single person from hundreds of miles in the air and above cloud level. The full extent of Robert's other superhuman capabilities are unknown.
- Flight: The Sentry possesses the ability to float by defying gravity, utilizing his superhuman speed to fly far above hypersonic speeds (above mach 10). He has demonstrated traveling to the Sun and back in a matter of moments which would require him to fly at speeds faster than light (or bypassing normal space through a hyperspace shortcut). And during the Skrull's secret invasion he flew to Saturn (about 1 thousand-million miles distant) almost immediately, which required him either to move at multiple times the speed of light (still thought to be impossible) or to have bypassed space altogether thus giving the impression that he had moved faster than light-speed. He has also been stated to travel at many times the speed of light. At such speeds that not even a god of Asgard could withstand.
- Nigh Invulnerability: The Sentry is, for all intents and purposes, almost completely impervious to harm, unless he wills himself to be killed he has shown no direct weakness. He has been seen surviving extremely harsh atmospheric conditions, including the vacuums of space. Nick Fury has stated that so far S.H.I.E.L.D. has yet to find a way to kill him, and even Iron Man's scanners found no physiological weaknesses in the Sentry's body. Like all of his abilities, his durability depends on his mental state, he is indestructible but as soon as he wishes himself dead he could be killed in an instant, notably in Siege where he asked Thor to kill him. He has also been damaged when he requested the Hulk to punch him during the Green Goliath's takeover of Manhattan to prevent himself from destroying everyone on the Earth.
- Photokinesis: It may be theorized that the Sentry also has the ability to generate, control, and emit light. This ability to produce hard-light constructs may be similar to those of Dazzler when it was revealed that the Void is ajust an expression of his repressed persona, and thus his creation, he has also used it to block an energy blast from Terrax.
- Light Projection: By conscious control over the light he produces, he can control its direction, frequency (color), amplitude (intensity), and duration. The Sentry can produce numerous effects with the light he manipulates. He can simply cause a bright glow all about his body. He can create a pulse of light on the order of several tens of thousands lumens of power per second (the sun produces at most 10,000 lumens of brightness at noontime), which temporarily blinds people with its brilliance. This ability has been proven to be able to calm down the Hulk, actually.
- Energy Blasts: The Sentry can generate light, heat, force, and other forms of energy as powerful blasts and explosions of a yellow color. These blasts are usually generated from the hands and eyes. The maximum power of these blasts is unknown. It has shown previously to be capable of burning Hulks skin and leveling city blocks in the past.
- Psionic Abilities: The Sentry possesses powerful psychic and mental powers mainly used for holding his physical form together, (though it is not yet known whether the Sentry can use them the way Professor X and other psychics use theirs). The only psychic abilities he has displayed so far was implanting his memories inside Paul Jenkins' mind. The Sentry was able to erase himself from the memories of every being on the planet, with the help of C.L.O.C., Dr. Strange and Reed Richards.
- Healing Factor: The Sentry can heal himself from virtually all injuries. He even came back from being molecularly dispersed twiced, during his fights with the Molecule Man and Morgan le Fay.
- Resurrection: The Sentry appears to be able to bring the dead back to life under extreme emotional distress. After Ultron murdered his wife, Sentry was able to resurrect her by simply touching her. It does not appear he has control over this power, as he was shocked by his ability to do such an act. This may also extend to simply healing other people's injuries.
- Genius Level Intellect: Robert is very intelligent. He is capable of using his powers to detect all substances in a single object and thence determine how much of what substances make up an object. He is adept with mechanics, architecture, machinery, tracing energy sources, cybernetics, robotics and computer science. He used his great intelligence to construct his Watchtower as well as everything inside of it. Since he has never been very wealthy, it is likely he recovered all of the substances required for his Watchtower's construction from many different areas of the Earth or (perhaps) other planets as well. Once he collected the right amounts of the different substances he needed, he would then forge them into the materials and technology he needed. His other inventions include C.L.O.C. and the Watchtower.
- Anti-Matter (as Sentry): Sentry is effectively light and is vulnerable to anti-matter.
- Light (as Void): Void is effectively darkness and is vulnerable to light.
- Mental Instability: Completely coo-coo, although it's a weakness he could kill someone just as easily because of it.
Who I Think Would Win:
When I thought of doing this article I thought that it might be a fair fight. Then, as I researched, I discovered Shazam was much more powerful than I thought but then I looked into Sentry and he is just a god among men. He is unbelievably powerful. He could fight Superman and Silver Surfer together with one hand behind his back. He is just the mother-load of power and practically unbeatable. Sorry Shazam!